Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond 25/08/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

You can work hard by putting in a shift but if you have not got the ability it's not enough.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Is there anybody out there that actually still wants to give Owers a chance, or has everybody now finally seen the light?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I m with FOREVER on this, his post is spot on. I also do not blame the players. My initial thoughts at KO I didn't see the usual players huddle that we ve seen in the last homes games.
First half they set up 4-2-3-1. This clearly was not working as an easy pass out of defence to Reid's feet went aimlessly long. Bantom had very little service and when he did hes another that is lacking games and confidence. Most of the time Williams was isolated alone up front , not a player even close. When any player looked up to pass we had no natural width so we were unable to complete simple passing or movement or go through the zones.
It was so very easy for the opposition to close us down, they never had to break a sweat.
Looking at the dug-out there is no enthusiasm, guidance or anything positive. The subs just huddle up like there on the naughty seat. I have never seen them warm up so much just to get out of the way.
Second half he subs off Bantom and bring on Keating and adopts a 4-4-2. I really feel for Bantom. Owers does this time and time again with Reid and Keating. This is just wrecking their confidence, they must absolutely detest Owers.
So now the 4-4-2 isn't working because Dickson nor Reid are not natural wide players. Midfield is congested and they keep going back. Well that's fine keeping the ball and passing around in defence but we are 2 nil down.
Its so dysfunctional, I repeat I do not blame the players, I understand their frustration. Wynter has had an absolutely shocking game, lucky not to go in the book. But you can see it happening to him over the last few games hes slowly got worse, doesn't know whether to go forward or stay back, he miss places passes and his delivery into the box is just terrible. So in a matter or 4-5 games we have watched him get steadily worse.
The players have no spring in their steps, Dickson who looked like quality just cannot influence the game at the moment. Asa Hall and Nabi just look poor.
There is only one outcome that I can see for these players to improve and that is for Owers to go. He's skulking around the dugout waiting to jump on any player for any mistake. Who would ever in their right mind would want to play in one of Gary Owers sides.
Bridportgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky cave

Post by Bridportgull »

Yep
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Just seen the Owers interview . Oh my god !!! It’s alright everyone as When asked if there is anything that needs to be done in terms of loan players to address our weakness going forward he said “ yes we will have to consider it “ .
Consider it ???
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 19:25 For those that can stomach it: https://www.torquayunited.com/official- ... -25-08-18/
🤢

🤮
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yep. He's almost certainly the long lost brother of that priest in Father Ted with the 'incredibly boring voice' who was in the lingerie department.

Pants indeed.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

There is no getting away from the fact that was the most inept performance I have ever had the misfortune to witness at Plainmoor in the near 40 years I have been going. Owers now has 'his' team and has the nerve to suggest he needs the transfer market again to sort out what is 100% 'his' mess. He won't get sacked because he is the puppet manager GI and Harrop so badly want and he is doing a good job killing the club from the inside. Gates will drop and with it the importance of the football club. Osborne's grip at the throat of the club gets all the tighter.

Bass - must be wondering who the hell he upset at Pompey to get sent here. Did nothing wrong. 6

Wynter - Just all round abysmal. 1

Essuman - Tall yet poor in the air. Clumsy as. Terrible. 1

Cameron - Probably trying to get a train back North. Rate him and feel sorry he for him he has ended up here. Is better than us. 7

Davis - Far from his best but still better than most of the squad when playing badly. 4

Banton - Thin air made him look good. 1

Hall - Noticeable because he tried but quality sadly lacking. 3

Dickson - Had a bad game but must be wishing he kept to the first answer he gave Owers. Looked frustrated at what he and we all were witnessing. 3

Reid - Worked hard and put a shift in. One of the better players today but that is not saying much. 5

Nabi - Was he playing? Didn't notice. 1

Williams - My god where do you start. Would of been kind to give him a 1 but seeing as he left the near post corner to drift past him to the surprise of everyone in ground causing the own goal then.....0

SUBS

Keating - In fairness was the only bright spot. Did well in the incompetence around him. 7

Wright - Looks so massively unfit and uninterested. 1

Bawling - Five minutes only N/A

One thing that needs to be addressed is that 'wonderful' team spirit that has been rammed down our throats is complete 'fake news'. Anyone there will tell you that there is another survival fight on way and promotion is nothing but a fantasy unless significant changes happen (which we all know is never on agenda).
Last edited by Richinns on 25 Aug 2018, 20:15, edited 3 times in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I wasn't there today but this must be a low point in the history of Torquay United.
Owers must go.
The owners must go.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Anybody got the money to buy them out ?????

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Dutchgull wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 20:23 Anybody got the money to buy them out ?????

They will go if they continue to lose money and see no prospect of being able to build houses on Plainmoor.
Stopping them having the freehold, at least until a suitable new stadium has been built, is vital to the club's survival. But even then I fear the rent could cripple the club anyway.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

standupsitdown wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 20:31 They will go if they continue to lose money and see no prospect of being able to build houses on Plainmoor.
Stopping them having the freehold, at least until a suitable new stadium has been built, is vital to the club's survival. But even then I fear the rent could cripple the club anyway.
Which is why the council are equally to blame along with Osborne. They could quite simply put a stop to Osborne but they're councillors so it's too much to expect. It's all fishy as heck tbh. The lot of them.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 25 Aug 2018, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

It's been four years since I moved to Whitby and in all that time I have followed United mainly through this forum. As the years have gone by the comments and descriptions of games have got bleaker and bleaker. The last two seasons have seen some bad un's, but I never thought I'd read such comments as these which have appeared after this (Hampton) match. But every time I say to myself 'nothing can be as bad as these (comments)' worse come along. Surely it can't get as bad as this again!
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

I liked the way we clapped there players off and the team spirit there team clearly has with the nice team huddle at the end...