Martin Rice

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yes, Trojan is right. Bittner is a keeper who lacked public support in the same way as Rice and he has now grown into a decent keeper.

I like Rice's attitude and wish him well on his return.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

back comes ricey...........

it does make me laugh (sorry annoy me) some of the posts on here.

martin rice is a pro footballer. all of us on here (as far as i know) arnt.

dave SG has played at a high level as a goalie and i have played at a decent level too, so we i think should know a little about goalkeeping.

think about it, goalie makes a mistake, thats it - its in the back of net. striker misses open goal, well, "it happens"

dont care what anyone else says or thinks, martin rice will get my support.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:back comes ricey...........

it does make me laugh (sorry annoy me) some of the posts on here.

martin rice is a pro footballer. all of us on here (as far as i know) arnt.

dave SG has played at a high level as a goalie and i have played at a decent level too, so we i think should know a little about goalkeeping.

think about it, goalie makes a mistake, thats it - its in the back of net. striker misses open goal, well, "it happens"

dont care what anyone else says or thinks, martin rice will get my support.
Totally agree with this!! I'll always give anyone that pulls on a yellow shirt my support, regardless of where they've come from, etc!!

Unfortunitely though, your always gunna get the supporters 'who think they can do better'!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Rice isn't good enough to be a pro keeper. Pure and simple.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote:Rice isn't good enough to be a pro keeper. Pure and simple.

Wasn't, now is. FACT !!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

This signing of Rice is a logical one, i am just hoping this frees up some money in the budget to add a couple of more decent signings. A good left sided attacker and someone who can finish please Lingy.
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

According to "This is Cornwall" Martin Rice lost his place in the starting line up at Truro City and from what I saw of him in a Torquay Jersey he was horrendous at crosses .Doesn't give me much faith for the coming season hopefully our no 1 keeper does not get injured.

I'm all for given a guy a second chance but not from a goalkeeping perspective!
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I don't care what people say about him having improved, I'm not convinced till I see it.

But I admire his attitude and he's a more than capable backup. Over to you Ricey..
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

yellowforever wrote:I don't care what people say about him having improved, I'm not convinced till I see it.

But I admire his attitude and he's a more than capable backup. Over to you Ricey..

The first opportunity to see his current form may happen today. :nod:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:So, Brucie and Hector decide Rice is crap without seeing him perform for over 2 seasons?

He was first choice for Truro last season and that side won promotion to the Conference. Perhaps either of you two would like to come up with a name and one that would be happy to bide his time sitting on the bench and still train hard when not exactly emptying the coffers of the little money left in them. So chaps, lets see what names you can come up with who fit the criteria set out by our Club when looking for a second keeper.

When he was here before, we were building a side to secure promotion. When Potter was here last season i always felt, and so did the management, that we were capable of getting promoted. To that end I wasn't impressed with Potter. This season is a totally different prospect, we're aiming to stay in this division and consolidate, do you think our budget is such that we could sign a keeper of the calibre of Michael Poke? No, it's such that we had to look at a keeper with less experience, costing less money and someone that won;t throw his toys out of the pram. Rice fits the bill perfectly and anyone who can't see that is being totally unrealistic. Martin Rice will only have a problem if he gets into the team and some numbnuts decide to barrack him. Get behind him, encourage him, give him some confidence and then we might finally see the best of Martin Rice.
I wasn't watching Truro because I was too busy watching Torquay. But I have seen Rice play. Only too sadly, I remember the horror everytime the ball went anywhere near our penalty area. The goals his ineptitude cost us. Have you seen Olejinick play? Probably not before he came, but you assume he is a good keeper. At least I have some basis for my point of view. It is not my job to come up with alternative names, that is the job of 'fingers in pies' Martin Ling, who it seems has so many fingers in so many pies that it was Rice himself who engineered the move. Obviously, that finger was not in the goaly pie...but it saves Martin a job.

You may well be matey or whatever it is with Rice but to suggest that Potter was not impressive and that Rice somehow is, is incredibly fanciful. People are talking as though this is a budget saver but it is the opposite. To pay someone a salary simply to sit on the bench for a year is a waste of money. And people are assuming we are going to get a decent forward in because we have Rice. On the basis of Ling's signings so far it is not probably likely.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I remember as well as anyone else how poor Rice was when here before and I was one of his biggest critics, but I'm not so stupid as to think he can't possibly have improved and matured as a keeper since.

The only assumptions i can see are the ones in your post. You assume I haven't seen Olly play, as incorrect as most of the rest of your ramble. Also, far from Rice "engineering the move" it was our goalkeeping coach and captain that pushed hard for it to happen, yet another mistaken assumption on your part. I'm not friends with Martin Rice (wrong assumption again) and as I said, I was previously one of his fiercest critics, but being a keeper it means I know full well the benefits of confidence, maturity and commitment, Rice will show all of those qualities and probably a lot more besides.

While I respect your right to air your opinion, it's based on hysteria and very little factual evidence.
Dave

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote: Also, far from Rice "engineering the move" it was our goalkeeping coach and captain that pushed hard for it to happen, yet another mistaken assumption on your part.
This is the important point surely? Who better to judge a keepers quality than the goalkeeping coach? If Kenny is happy for Rice to come back then that's good enough for me.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:I remember as well as anyone else how poor Rice was when here before and I was one of his biggest critics, but I'm not so stupid as to think he can't possibly have improved and matured as a keeper since.

The only assumptions i can see are the ones in your post. You assume I haven't seen Olly play, as incorrect as most of the rest of your ramble. Also, far from Rice "engineering the move" it was our goalkeeping coach and captain that pushed hard for it to happen, yet another mistaken assumption on your part. I'm not friends with Martin Rice (wrong assumption again) and as I said, I was previously one of his fiercest critics, but being a keeper it means I know full well the benefits of confidence, maturity and commitment, Rice will show all of those qualities and probably a lot more besides.

While I respect your right to air your opinion, it's based on hysteria and very little factual evidence.
On the OS, Martin Rice says the move came about after he asked Kenny Veysey 'about the no.2' situation. That reads to me, that Rice approached the club rather than the other way around. Check for yourself, so in essence that is Rice engineering the move. Whether you yourself are a keeper or not it means little to whether someone actually has the talent to operate at League 2 level. My 'assumptions' as you put it, are based simply on the fact that less than 2 years ago, Rice was released and when he had played prior to that - at non-league level - it was clear he was not good enough, had never been good enough and was unlikely to be good enough. A notion reinforced by the fact that he regularly made mistakes for Truro and was in fact out of there team for a significant period of time last season.

The nonsense I read on here that people spout regarding Rice and McPhee simply because they will it is astounding. Had either of those players turned up at Plymouth most TUFC fans would have been laughing about how desperate PAFC were, yet because they have come back to TUFC people are convincing themselves that these poor players really, yes, really, now suddenly, have been transformed into utterly different players.

It is just so unlikely, yet they wish, so it must be true.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

It's pretty disrespectful to think that Kenny Veysey would have recommended Rice to Ling if he didn't rate him. Whether Rice made the first approach is irrelevant - if Veyesy didn't consider him right for the role, it would have gone no further.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

You seem to be overlooking a great deal of evidence in the case of McPhee that points to the contrary, hector.