Torquay United v Plymouth Argyle, 8th September 2012.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well yellow monkey why dont you get back to your stella, sounds like you must have had a crate before the match, what a knob you are, what have you been watching the last 5 years, get rid of howe are you having a laugh, joint top scorer in the league before todays game, he is strong got a brain, and one of the better strikers in this league, get back to your stella mate, just about sums you up, suprised your not on white lighting.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I really don't think he's old enough for Stella, RR. More like White Lightning in a park.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

maybe he is a grecian
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Can we get this back on the civil side please chaps, you know I get all anxious when people aren't slagging me off and are venting their anger elsewhere ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

W*nker! :lol:

The point that needs clarifying for me in this vitriolic saga is which way you actually spell KNOBHEAD. Is it with a K or just an N? It's not a dealbreaker but i would like to know. :whistle:

Anyway, i've seen the Rene incident when he was adjudged to have fouled GK Cole before he put the ball in and i've got to say it looks harsh IMO. It's just because Rene looks so cumbersome that refs give things against him a lot.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

austrianandygull wrote:
The point that needs clarifying for me in this vitriolic saga is which way you actually spell KNOBHEAD. Is it with a K or just an N? It's not a dealbreaker but i would like to know. :whistle:
Wrong on both counts. It's spelt austrianandygull.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

austrianandygull wrote:Anyone got any photo's of the match and the bench in particular? I reckon it must have been full in there? I'm not going to the Burton home game but instead will be going to the Aldershot night game the week after as i'm down in Devon for a short break with family. I was thinking of going in the bench to try it out unless you singers need me in the pop!
They need you in the pop!
The gulls are going up
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Wrong on both counts. It's spelt austrianandygull.

Hey Scott, you've not put a :lol: after that. Does that mean you don't like me anymore? :'(
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I allways try very hard to avoid critizing the ref in any game, it can be a thankless task at the best of times with less than a split second to to make a judgment as we know mistakes can and do happen, however it must be said this guy to was utterly dreadful about as bad a ref as I have ever seen, one free kick we got from open play in the second half, to Argyle who got about 50 and worst of it was we wern't doing much in the way foul play.

As for the game happy with the result a draw was fair despite us playing with more quailty to our play, and the loin share of the possession it was Poke who made more saves, largely down to a number a Argyle defenders getting blockes and last ditch takles however thats what defenders are there for.

There are a few things still irratating me however, our midfield line still seems to be sat to deep leaving far to bigger gap betweeen them and the front line, how many times did the ball get played forward only to be cleared and Argyle picked up the second ball time and time again because there was nobody close enough in a yellow shirt .

Focusing on todays game, yep we played the ball around nicely all to slow however, thats was the main difference between this game and Rochdale where the team played with a good tempo and Dale couldn't live with us.

Wrong decision to start with Stevens, don't get me wrong like Danny Stevens looked a bit short of game time, would have gone the other round and started Tompson who had only been on the park a minute and had there full back in trouble.

Thought Morris had one of his best games ina Torquay shirt today, do feel sorry for though, played some lovely passes in the first half, frist pass he missplaced and the groans oh the groans, come on time to leave him alone.

And finaly Downes class again and Pokey is back firing on all fours again he was top, top class today.
Formerly known as forevertufc
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Argyle were awful first half but we were nearly as bad in the second. Morris and Craig looked good first half but we didn't get them on the ball nearly enough in the second and just relied on Rene to produce a bit of magic. We invited Plymouth on to us too often.

Most things good for us came from Stevens, yet he was still getting abuse from those behind me on the popside. Niall Thompson comes on, does poorly in my eyes (yes I know he's young etc.) and he is applauded for knocking the ball out of play. It annoys me - Danny is a good player.

Referee was crap.

Mansell shouldn't be allowed anywhere near corners.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Tad harsh on Tompson, nothing wrong with his attitude, approach play, and work rate, yep he at times lacks a bit of qauilty on the final ball, that will come in time, that said against Rochdale thought he well desrved his man of the match award.

Don't think Tompson was applauded for knocking the ball out of play, he was applauded for taking on the full back and getting into a very good position, some thing we had not really done up to that point, he was also applauded for chasing back nearly 30 odd yards to catch the Argyle player and win a throw in, when our back line was in real trouble after an attacking move had broken down.

Agree on Stevens, as said like Danny he is a very good player, think it would have wise maybe to have filtered Danny back in, that said I am aware that lingy and the medical staff know where the players are in terms of fitness.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Why when we have Craig and Nico on the pitch(both excellant at ball delivery) is Manse taking corners? Craig's corners at Exeter in the PSF were fantastic (pace and whip) why not give him a go today?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Danny played really well for his first game back, nobody played particularly badly today, though Bodin was a bit below par. Alluded to in a previous post was the gap between midfield and attack, caused, I believe, by Mansell protecting Craig rather than attacking more often. Morris didn't play too bad, (really should have scored his header 2nd half) but we really did miss Lathrope and I believe Morris should make way for him (when he comes back) with Mansell and Craig given more licence. Craig got MOTM today and I can't argue too much with that, his array and accuracy of passes is amazing (though a couple of passes back to Poke were unnecessarily negative), personally Rene would have got my vote, so strong, won a lot in the air and distributed really well, just needed that extra support in "the hole".
As for the Thompson v Stevens debate, Ling is fully aware that Stevens is a better player, that's why Stevens will always start ahead of Thompson when fit. Thompson showed when he came on today that he will worry defenders with his pace and strength but he doesn't have anywhere near the touch and awareness of Stevens.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Stevens was ok today. Thompson also. Fair enough that Ling starts the senior player but also very good that Thompson (and Macklin when fit) are knocking on the door.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

It was a tough call between Stevens and Thompson. I have always stood by the maxim ' if you'd good enough, you're old enough' and that certainly applies to Niall who has taken to league football superbly. However I reckon Lingy may have felt the big game derby atmosphere may have been a bit too ferocious for him so early in his career and decided to go with the more experienced Danny instead, especially in light of how he performed against argyle both times last year.

As it was, Stevens was our most potent attacking outlet in the first half and showed few signs of being affected by his injury. I think it also added better balance to the side to have both wingers equally adept on taking the outside, and cutting inside so to keep the argyle full backs guessing. I would imagine the plan was to withdraw Danny after an hour when he would obviously tire and then the pace of Thompson would scare the already tired defence witless. It was a very tough game to ask Niall to make an impact in but h has showed immense promise. We shouldn't be hoping too much of him too soon.

Seeing how Danny performed on his comeback and through his consistent performances last season, the second wingers spot should be rightfully his from now on with Niall adding seering pace late on from the bench. Nice to have the options though!