Torquay vs Wimbledon 1/1/13 15:00 (new years day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Who gave away the penalty ??
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Downes
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

supergulls wrote:Who gave away the penalty ??
Aaron Downes, just as he was announced MOTM.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by tktufc91 »

At least Saah will be back on Saturday.

Positives from today, Yeoman sounded lively in the first half, as did Halpin when he came on, and Howe finally gets back on the score sheet.

City get lucky, down to 10 men, have penalty saved and win it in last minute. Not looking forward to the derby.
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Stuck over here on the other side of the world I'm starting to think the only thing more frustrating than not being able to see Torquay play would be being able to see Torquay play.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Some hope for our younger players coming through...
Yeoman and Halpin sound like they wanted it.
Thompson sounded a little lost
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

all the luck we had last year in terms of injuries and lucky 1-0 wins...is in the form of bad luck this year..3 successive games we concede in the last minute and the game before that (Bradford) we did in the 85th...so many injuries and suspensions...and many more examples earlier this season..still can not find an excuse for the poor result today..I feel really awful...
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by tktufc91 »

MH91 wrote:all the luck we had last year in terms of injuries and lucky 1-0 wins...is in the form of bad luck this year..3 successive games we concede in the last minute and the game before that (Bradford) we did in the 85th...so many injuries and suspensions...and many more examples earlier this season..still can not find an excuse for the poor result today..I feel really awful...
Added to the fact we are missing the creative midfield play of O'Kane, missing a top class keeper in Olejnik (no disrespect to Poke, but Olejnik was different class last season) and too many players this season are just not performing to the potentials they have to offer.

We've replaced O'Kane and Olejnik well with Craig and Poke who I feel are as good as we could get in replacements but playing Craig out wide instead of in the middle is hurting us more than helping I feel.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by MH91 »

Exactly the fact that we had Bobby helped us get all these 1-0 wins..this year these games are 1-1 draws...
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

We have the players, I am more concerned abouth their mental preparedness for this sort of game.
We need fire in our bellies for Gillingham and Wimbledon - that is not clearly the case
Shame to start the new year on a downer, only was is up now.
COYY
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Most entertaining part of that match was Lingy quite loudly telling a moaning fan to f*ck off.
TUST member 203
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Pokes effort to keep out the second goal was pathetic

Danny stevens and Oastler were woeful today
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Yet another inept performance, whoever said we have the players, your sadly wrong. We lack in so many areas of the pitch currently. I am fed up going and watching the utter crap we are currently dishing out. if anybody thinks the derby with Exeter is going to be an exciting game to watch, you will be wide of the mark. As for the pitch, it's shocking, there are large areas where the ball dosen't even bounce. Gonna be a long run till May thats for sure.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

divingbboy wrote:Most entertaining part of that match was Lingy quite loudly telling a moaning fan to f*ck off.
I have a real problem with Lingy today. All clubs have the odd supporter who probably moans too much at times, but it has been quite pathetic recently and Ling and Taylor both need to show more class with supporters.

I am not sure Lingy is handling the pressure well at the moment, and behaving in an uncouth way is neither proffessional or fair to all those other supporters who have supported the club during Lings reign.

He needs to man up a bit before he losses the support of the majority. He was certainly not today's man of the match :red:
LukeGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by LukeGull »

3 errors in defence and 3 goals... I suppose that's just how life is for us at the moment. We really didn't play that well, but we have definitely played worse this season than today. Even after their penalty we should've scored from the free kick. Nicholson puts in a good ball and Manse and Oastler are unmarked but competing for the same ball and both miss it...

I have to say that some of the younger players did themselves no harm today. I thought Yeoman played well, in the first half he was unlucky not to score and had some very good runs, control and passes. He also created a very good chance for Easton in the second half who should've probably scored. Halpin created a couple of chances, put in a great ball across goal but there was nobody at the back post. Thompson managed to beat his man and swing a couple of good crosses in, but he wasn't helped by the poor passes to him. MacrDonald dealt with their fast striker reasonably well.

Like most other fans, I was disappointed when Ling took Craig off, I know we have to play him on the wing, but surely moving him into the middle would've been a better option and take Easton off (who was shortly replaced by Lathrope anyway).

I think Danny Stevens has either lost his ability to take on his man, or lost confidence in his ability to do it so. Either way it is severely impacting upon his game at time, only a couple of seasons ago he would try it nigh on every time. On the whole his passing was alright, but I just wish he would attack the space more than he does.

I don't really know who was at fault for the goals, obviously Downes gave away the penalty, but the other 2 I have no idea.

Finally, as we know Ling is looking for another 'big striker' this month. I know I'm no manager but I really don't think this is the way to go. It was evident today that we needed either another good winger or creative midfielder. I know these are difficult to come by at our level these days, but I think it would be so much more useful. If Ling wants another striker to hold up the ball, firstly it would presumably only be for when Rene is out and secondly it is going to be very difficult to get anybody near as good as Rene. For what its worth we could shove a Centre Back up front for the games when that's the case if we just plan on playing long balls, which I sincerely hope we don't. Plus as shown by Odhiambo(or however you spell it) who we just had on trial, many strikers are also able to play comfortably on the wing and I just hope Ling doesn't rule this out as an option.