Bristol Rovers v Torquay United - 12/4/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

The pressure was clearly off the team, the management and the fans today and it showed

However that was an important win, we handled the windy conditions better and looked more confident going forward than I have seen in quite a while.
Since CH and LH have come to the club, I have been impressed with their ability to keep positive and take responsibility and I was happy for them they got 3 well deserved points.

Many have said on here how poor Bristol Rovers were, they were truely dreadful. Almost to the point you had to be there to see it. That was the most lazy and disgraceful performance from a group of proffessional footballers as I have seen....clearly all is not right behind the scences and if I was a Gas fan I would be more than concerned. John Ward recently moved upstairs, which seemed a cop-out, and I think from a distance it looks like there are some big egos being bruised behind the scences at the memorial stadium.
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dale Tonge

Post by Pea »

It was a cop-out. They very obviously didn't want ANOTHER sacking on their recent record, so they moved him upstairs. Ward knows about as much about being a DOF as I know about 19th Century dressmaking. They're a bit of a joke club, if I'm honest. Grossly deluded supporters egged on by mental owners more interested in building a new ground than focussing on the practicalities of running a football club. Little things like actually having the fan base to fill a shiny new stadium and being in an appropriate division for a 20,000 all seater, these have fallen by the wayside.

The funniest thing I read all day was a bloke on their board saying that Rovers had far too many supporters to get relegated. I can't believe people like this still exist when the likes of Luton and Wrexham have been in the Conference for about a million years.
Pea.
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Although Rovers hardly shined yesterday, they were no worse than many teams in this league.
It seems the gloss is being taken out of an excellent display from the Gulls.
Obviously their supporters expect them to roll over a Torquay team that are stranded at the bottom but we were just the better team throughout the game.
With the lightening quick Shak up front and a great addition of young Cargill we look like at least we will put up at least a fight.
We were 100/1 to stay up we have come into 66/1.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote:Interestingly, particularly for Stefano and his fellow Knill revisionists - Hargreaves has now won as many games in 17 as Knill did in 27 (including cup).
Oh dear there is that obsession evidencing itself again! I expect you have had that standing by to post in your drafts for the last 5 games! :rofl:

I did think you would get my posts by now the same as everybody else has. But no, an hopeless case.

I am starting to think you go all girlie when thinking about Mr Knill and probably have a photo of him on your bedside cabinet. ;-)

PS. Delighted we won yesterday. I was watching top of the table Ivybridge Town lose 5-0 at home, and whilst trying to avoid contact with the outside World it was impossible as people from the quite decent crowd of about 300 kept coming over to update me on the Gulls and Argyle. Would be delighted if we won our last 4. Not the most daunting list of fixtures, but I fear even if we did we would still go down. Had we won our home games against Northampton Town and Accrington Stanley, and all other results had remained the same, I would feel we were in with a real chance now. :-/
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: Oh dear there is that obsession evidencing itself again! I expect you have had that standing by to post in your drafts for the last 5 games! :rofl:

I did think you would get my posts by now the same as everybody else has. But no, an hopeless case.

I am starting to think you go all girlie when thinking about Mr Knill and probably have a photo of him on your bedside cabinet. ;-)

PS. Delighted we won yesterday. I was watching top of the table Ivybridge Town lose 5-0 at home, and whilst trying to avoid contact with the outside World it was impossible as people from the quite decent crowd of about 300 kept coming over to update me on the Gulls and Argyle. Would be delighted if we won our last 4. Not the most daunting list of fixtures, but I fear even if we did we would still go down. Had we won our home games against Northampton Town and Accrington Stanley, and all other results had remained the same, I would feel we were in with a real chance now. :-/
Well, may be you will get it one day - I did notice Chris Wilder, when paying tribute to his team, neglected to mention Alan Knill - I thought, seeing as, according to you, he was responsible for their upturn in form, he may have warranted a mention of some sort but perhaps he was too busy washing the kit or something.

Like you - even if we won the remaining 4 - which we won't - I still don't think it would be enough. Just hope we can be awkward enough to deprive Exeter of victory next week and drag them down with us.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

MidDevon and Pea, I agree with you that yesterday we were dreadful and you deserved to win however have a little respect as we are still 8 points ahead of you!! Of course we are concerned and have every right to be. With football as it is nowadays and the FFP a team that gets crowds three times the size of most teams in this division have EVERY right to expect their team to at least be CHALLENGING a top ten spot because they should be able to get together a better team. That is not being cocky that is a fact. What we have had to put up with this year is as you have said embarrassing but at the end of the day we support our club and are no different from each of you.
IMO after yesterdays game you should be heaping praise on YOUR team and not downing the opposition. Get your house in order rather than down the opposition. For all our problems the consolation is that we still have an evens chance of staying up.

If you manage to stay up and we go down then you have every right to come on here and boast but at this present time perhaps all your efforts should be on your own team.
If you knew our supporters then you would know that we are far from having a big club reputation as we have long been the poor relations and in many aspects are similar in that to yourselves. There are not many clubs who would get a crowd of 6900 in the position we are in and watching the tripe we have been dished up and to be honest if you were in our position in the league compared to you with our home record would you not have expected to have beaten us?

I actually have a great deal of respect for your club and in the ideal world we would both be staying up but please give us supporters a bit of respect.All clubs have some supporters with egos but dont paint us all with the same brush. At the end of the day tables don't lie and you are where you are for a reason BUT so are we. Neither is a great position for a supporter to be in and at this moment in time I feel that the two teams to be relegated will definitely be yourselves and us and I don't like it one bit!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

friendlygas wrote:MidDevon and Pea, I agree with you that yesterday we were dreadful and you deserved to win however have a little respect as we are still 8 points ahead of you!! Of course we are concerned and have every right to be. With football as it is nowadays and the FFP a team that gets crowds three times the size of most teams in this division have EVERY right to expect their team to at least be CHALLENGING a top ten spot because they should be able to get together a better team. That is not being cocky that is a fact. What we have had to put up with this year is as you have said embarrassing but at the end of the day we support our club and are no different from each of you.
IMO after yesterdays game you should be heaping praise on YOUR team and not downing the opposition. Get your house in order rather than down the opposition. For all our problems the consolation is that we still have an evens chance of staying up.

If you manage to stay up and we go down then you have every right to come on here and boast but at this present time perhaps all your efforts should be on your own team.
If you knew our supporters then you would know that we are far from having a big club reputation as we have long been the poor relations and in many aspects are similar in that to yourselves. There are not many clubs who would get a crowd of 6900 in the position we are in and watching the tripe we have been dished up and to be honest if you were in our position in the league compared to you with our home record would you not have expected to have beaten us?

I actually have a great deal of respect for your club and in the ideal world we would both be staying up but please give us supporters a bit of respect.All clubs have some supporters with egos but dont paint us all with the same brush. At the end of the day tables don't lie and you are where you are for a reason BUT so are we. Neither is a great position for a supporter to be in and at this moment in time I feel that the two teams to be relegated will definitely be yourselves and us and I don't like it one bit!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is Bristol Rovers, a side with a 20,000 all seater stadium on the horizon, with a wage bill equivalent to the GDP of a medium sized nation, with gates three times ours, with a long and proud history of winning things, with ambition towards the top end of the Championship... And here are they, crowing about being all of eight whole points above a Torquay United side destined to be recorded as officially the worst side ever to walk a turn in the Football League.

Ahahahahaha, nice one FG. Only last week, I entered the 100m at the sports day of a local primary school for handicapped kids. I display my winners trophy on my mantelpiece and polish it every day and you know what? I'm still not as disproportionately proud of my 'achievement' as you are of yours.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

FerrariRover,
You have got it totally wrong other than the 20,000 stadium on the horizon and the three times your gates. I am not crowing about being 8 points above you. I would be crowing if we were 28 points above you!! What i was saying was to the two people who I directed it at. You deserved to win yesterday but surely you should be praising your team for their performance rather than disrespecting our supporters and team. Yes I agree we were awful but perhaps some of that was down to how well you played.As regards trophies and success it is quite probable that over the last 50 years YOU actually have more trophies than us!
Size of the supporter base actually means nothing in football terms or Bristol would have a team in the top 6 of the Premiership as we are the sixth largest City .
I take pride in supporting my club rather than being a "Manchester united" or "Liverpool" fan..you are only a "TRUE" fan of the team that represent the City you were brought up or live in as far as I am concerned and therefore I have the utmost respect for "supporters" of their club however small. Regards
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:
I'm not sure if suggesting that "Rovers were rubbish" is "taking away the glory of the players" because the fact of the matter is, Rovers were truly awful. That doesn't mean we weren't any good either, because we were and deserved the victory and played some good attacking football at times and defended well also.
We are better than a lot of sides in the league but a lack of confidense because we have not scored has effect results. We made Rovers look worse than they are as we have pace in a lot of areas now Hargreaves has addressed the left back position and the striker situation. We looked a top six side. What we've got to do is believe it and gain confidense but several of the supporters always say the teams that we beat are rubbish, what I am saying we helped them look bad by our good performance. :keepie:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Cheers FriendlyGas always good to hear your opinion. :scarf: :scarf:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: Well, may be you will get it one day - I did notice Chris Wilder, when paying tribute to his team, neglected to mention Alan Knill - I thought, seeing as, according to you, he was responsible for their upturn in form, he may have warranted a mention of some sort but perhaps he was too busy washing the kit or something.

Like you - even if we won the remaining 4 - which we won't - I still don't think it would be enough. Just hope we can be awkward enough to deprive Exeter of victory next week and drag them down with us.
What absolute drivel again! It's you as the only one out of 1665 forum members that hasn't managed to get my posts! Chris Wilder didn't mention his head coach in paying tribute to his team. Scraping the bottom of the barrel to produce evidence there. What manager does mention his head coach when paying a tribute to his team? There is far more to being a head coach of a Football League club than putting the cones out, distributing the bibs, and washing the shirts, as 1664 other members of this forum know. It's still you banging on about Mr Knill, not me. I hardly ever mention him unless it is to balance out the hysteria in one of your obsessional posts. I am sure you are miffed that the head coach and manager at Northampton Town have managed to turn around 13 points on us in only 3 months. We all are! But do stop making stuff up just to justify your unnatural obsession.

I would love one day to be able to agree with one of your posts ... but that would make us both wrong! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

When we drew with Bristol Rovers over Xmas they looked to me one of the half decent sides in the division. They looked far better than Exeter and quite a few other sides in this league.
Believe it or not I am not to suprised that we won yesterday. Its actually quite typical of us really. Now we have no chance we actually managed to produce a good win.
I have not seen Coulquist play but it seems like he could have been the player we wanted months ago - certainly when Hargreaves signed a succession of crap forwards on loan who were dismal.
Again typical of us - we now have a forward who can actually play football.
No idea how Bristol Rovers played yesterday but guess they were probably pretty awful to lose. It was in all fairness a terrible result for the home side so coming on here and saying you are eight points clear of us makes you look a bit of a numpty.
There probably isn't one person on here who cares whether BR get relegated or stay up - its much the same with Exeter as far as I am concerned. Couldn't really care less.
Plain fact is that whether its Alan Knill/Martin Ling/Geoff Harrop/Chris Hargreaves in charge we are going down because we have somehow contrived to toss away ten points (and quite a few more) against a whole succession of godawful sides who were actually no better than us.
If you add that to some appalling refereeing decisions in big games that is really the reasons why we going down.
Hargreaves now has a left back and a striker - but we needed them ten games ago.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

friendlygas wrote:MidDevon and Pea, I agree with you that yesterday we were dreadful and you deserved to win however have a little respect as we are still 8 points ahead of you!! Of course we are concerned and have every right to be. With football as it is nowadays and the FFP a team that gets crowds three times the size of most teams in this division have EVERY right to expect their team to at least be CHALLENGING a top ten spot because they should be able to get together a better team. That is not being cocky that is a fact. What we have had to put up with this year is as you have said embarrassing but at the end of the day we support our club and are no different from each of you.

Friendlygas, my posting was clearly aimed at those running the club and the players, not the fans

That team you put out yesterday was an absolute disgrace to you. Lacklustre could not care attitudes almost always is caused by problems further up the club, but those players deserved all the abuse and boos they got at the end of the match
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

friendlygas wrote:FerrariRover,
You have got it totally wrong other than the 20,000 stadium on the horizon and the three times your gates. I am not crowing about being 8 points above you. I would be crowing if we were 28 points above you!! What i was saying was to the two people who I directed it at. You deserved to win yesterday but surely you should be praising your team for their performance rather than disrespecting our supporters and team. Yes I agree we were awful but perhaps some of that was down to how well you played.As regards trophies and success it is quite probable that over the last 50 years YOU actually have more trophies than us!
Size of the supporter base actually means nothing in football terms or Bristol would have a team in the top 6 of the Premiership as we are the sixth largest City .
I take pride in supporting my club rather than being a "Manchester united" or "Liverpool" fan..you are only a "TRUE" fan of the team that represent the City you were brought up or live in as far as I am concerned and therefore I have the utmost respect for "supporters" of their club however small. Regards
I can tell you after spending five years living in Torquay that it is a more friendly club than City and Rovers and I can say I am a true supporter of Torquay even though having played for City and Swindon Res. If you love football you can support the team you spend time with.
Just got to say it my grandson Caleb has been offered a six week trial with City after playing against them last week. I recommended him to Rovers thinking he'd get a better chance being a lower division but I was shocked by last weeks news, but it's early days. Caleb lives at Clevedon not Torquay.Rovers made contact but I don't know if they watched him. :keepie: