Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond 25/08/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TUFC__12
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Connor Evans

Post by TUFC__12 »

I thought it was nice clapping off the Hampton & Richmond players to be fair. They deserved it...
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 19:21 Is there anybody out there that actually still wants to give Owers a chance, or has everybody now finally seen the light?
Clarke Osborne does. If Owers does have the nerve to read this forum, get a sick note or for your humanity f..k off out of this club. Its really that simple.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

standupsitdown wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 20:31 They will go if they continue to lose money and see no prospect of being able to build houses on Plainmoor.
Stopping them having the freehold, at least until a suitable new stadium has been built, is vital to the club's survival. But even then I fear the rent could cripple the club anyway.
Osborne will never build new stadium, but I fear Plainmoor freehold may be still 'at risk'. Remember Osbornes maneuveres to get the club for nought, was not with the intention of spending 40 million on a 10,000 seated stadium so that 500 people could once a fortnight watch a football club stave off relegation after relegation. Particularly a club that will undoubtedly be part-time by then. The slim chance of survival - and it is slim - is if Osbornes plans are halted and Plainmoor is retained by the Council with a sensible rent for a non-league regional club.
Donuts76
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Donuts76 »

i wonder how many times their manager has hauled palyers off at half time or before in whole season - i believe to be 6 matches so far...
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Terrible today!!! Not one positive!!! Here's a thought. Torquay, being the so called full time big club in the league have basically signed full time players at the absolute bottom of there careers who can't find anything better. The other teams in our league have possibly the best part time players available with jobs outside football. 3 goals from 6 games is terrible from a manager who took us down to our lowest ever level. This is just so bad!!!!!!!!!!!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

IMO the plan is to intentionally manipulate the likes Owers et al to facilitate a further slide down the footballing pyramid until it becomes painstakingly obvious to the council with the club playing in front of about 500 people and in a lowly regional league that the football club is no longer viable to be able to play at Plainmoor. Thus the council will then feel they will have no option but to relinquish the freehold to Osborne under the (false) premise that he will build a new stadium elsewhere and that the council will somehow come out rosy financially from it. All for the benefit of Torbay council tax payers though obviously.

After all. What good is a 95% empty Plainmoor to what will be in a few years time a lowly amateur regional league club playing in front of a few hundred people and with absolutely zero chance of ever regaining NLS status let alone FL status?

In effect there will be next to no interest left in Torbay for the club other than a few hundred desperado's hanging on at the grim death until the bulldozers move in.

I reckon the future of TUFC will pan out something like this or slight variations of it.

The surprising aspects of Osborne's tenure thus far IMO is threefold.

The ease and rapidity in which the club has been allowed to slide.

The ease of and total lack of any resistance to this happening which i admit is futile but at least will see fans achieve a modicum of dignity.

The fact that there still seem to be many fans out there that aren't aware that there is a catastrophic problem at the football club that transcends Gary Owers. They seem to think it's simply a case of swapping Owers for a new man and it's game back on and the club can improve and everything will be hunky dory again.

In no way am i suggesting anything illegal or underhand is taking place from Osborne or the council. It's all above board i don't doubt but Osborne has a plan and he wants to execute it for his benefit which as a businessman and legal owner of the football club is his prerogative. In effect he can do what he likes with the club because he owns it. Fans have no say and no options regardless.

Just my opinion of course, like anyone else's alternative opinion but that's the way i've always seen it and only the immediate sacking of Owers will make me take even the slightest bit of interest in anything other.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 25 Aug 2018, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Osborne has to be thwarted if Torquay United are to survive. We have to find a way.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Yorkieandy wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 22:16
What good is a 95% empty Plainmoor to what will be in a few years time a lowly amateur regional league club playing in front of a few hundred people and with absolutely zero chance of ever regaining NLS status let alone FL status?
More good than a 95% empty brand new 40 million stadium and a lot, lot, lot, lot cheaper.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

MellowYellow wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 21:49 Osborne will never build new stadium, but I fear Plainmoor freehold may be still 'at risk'. Remember Osbornes maneuveres to get the club for nought, was not with the intention of spending 40 million on a 10,000 seated stadium so that 500 people could once a fortnight watch a football club stave off relegation after relegation. Particularly a club that will undoubtedly be part-time by then. The slim chance of survival - and it is slim - is if Osbornes plans are halted and Plainmoor is retained by the Council with a sensible rent for a non-league regional club.
:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I’m clueless, we have had wright for a month now and he’s still not fit? Come on I don’t even care start him and Keating Monday. Try somthing different. I’m so fed up of Keating shining then having not the best game the game after and being benched, give him a real chance like he does with Reid and Williams. Start Regis and start The guy who’s only conceded one goal for us and never should have been dropped in the first place.

I think an issue with the team is they’ve got too comfortable, they know they’re starting every game so they’re not really seeming to give a dam. So make 3-4 changes mix it up a bit. Either way change has to happen.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Dicksons passing and movement has impressed me previously but the reality is that he’s a defender playing in midfield. Hall has been unimpressive and seems like a defensive midfielder. Nabi has been inconsistent. I haven’t personally seen Bawling or Banton play this season - what’s the verdict on them so far? Would they be better attacking options?

Keating has to start going forward and perhaps Wright needs game time to get fit - go all out with those 2 and Williams together as a front 3? What about Regis? Is he an attacking player that can play behind the front 2?

We have to do something different
Scoutman
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Scoutman »

I try to get around the areas professional grounds and today was the first time I have been to Plainmoor this season. Didn't think it could get any worse than last season but the team looked as if they had never played together before. Being a full time club they should be carrying out drills day in, day out, players should know where they should be in all situations. Some players don't appear to have the basic techniques to play at this level. I have said on a previous post that the club could do a lot worse than try to entice Tully and Carlisle to Plainmoor but it ain't going to happen.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

The Herald Express reporters tend to be neutral in assessing the match only looking for positives.
BUT here are some headlines "another hapless performance" and "dismal gulls slump to woeful defeat"

At least they have a poll for those that think Mr Gary should be sacked https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... n--1938323

It is the manager's team so if he needs loans then he has completely misjudged the players he signed or can't motivate them, either option leaves him looking foolish.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Or to cover for key players who get injured perhaps?
Rayzie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by Rayzie »

As nearly every home game last season came away yesterday feeling really fed up with a terrible performance. The team never got going at all and it is obvious to all the fans where some of the problems are. As last season we so badly need a good target/ striker to bring Williams or Keating into the game. We haven't really seen what Wright has got yet but judging on his 30 minutes yesterday he doesn't look like the answer.
Then we go to the midfield where there is no domination to attack from any of them. Hall looks ok just to break up opposition attacks but no good going forward. Dickson should be alright bringing other players into the game but needs them to be available. There lies another big problem with Blanton doing nothing and Nabi missing fir large parts of the game. There seems to be no movement off the ball and that is down to laziness. Oh to have two Luke Youngs in the side.
The defence is looking quite strong although I would have Bawling in for Wynter who doesn't seem to be able to get forward to provide an attacking option. As for the players not playing for Gary Owers that is something only the insiders in the club would know! If there is a problem it needs to be sorted.