Torquay United v Hartlepool United - 31/8/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Gary McGuire was one of United's greatest 'keepers. I must defer to tomogull as, in 1966, getting to Darlington was not easy (unless he went by rail). No motorways then, only the good old (or maybe bad old) A38. It took hours as you made your way through (not round) Cullompton, Wellington, Taunton, Bridgwater, and right through the middle (almost) of Bristol and Birmingham. There were over 16,000 at Feethams that day. I was working on the DG at the time so it wasn't possible for me to have gone, although I would very much have liked to.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:
What on Earth do you mean no?

What were we missing on Saturday? The only thing masking it 0-0 and stopping it being 6-0 was a player in the Eunan mould to play the right ball at the right time. If nothing else, that's precisely what Nathan brings to a team.

Matt.
You must be talking about a different Nathan Craig. The one I've seen playing for us is nothing like Eunan.

Eunan is a very clever footballer who knows when and where to play killer little balls between the opposition lines, Craig more often than not tries the Stevie G hollywood ball and concedes possession.

Yes he can pass the ball but not consistently well and seems to have very little "football brain".

He may develop into a decent player but he certainly wasn't there last season.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Cheers Jerry ! Glad I am not the only one who thinks this :) :)
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

ferrarilover wrote:What were we missing on Saturday? The only thing masking it 0-0 and stopping it being 6-0 was a player in the Eunan mould to play the right ball at the right time.
We were missing a striker who can convert the chances created and a winger that can get dangerous balls into the box (be they low or high) as opposed to putting the majority out for a goalkick. Craig isnt likely to do either.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:Gary McGuire was one of United's greatest 'keepers. I must defer to tomogull as, in 1966, getting to Darlington was not easy (unless he went by rail). No motorways then, only the good old (or maybe bad old) A38. It took hours as you made your way through (not round) Cullompton, Wellington, Taunton, Bridgwater, and right through the middle (almost) of Bristol and Birmingham. There were over 16,000 at Feethams that day. I was working on the DG at the time so it wasn't possible for me to have gone, although I would very much have liked to.
Great weekend, Wivel - wouldn't have missed it. Three of us went up in a mini on Friday night after work. Slept in a lay by on the way. Crammed into Feethams as you say - no such thing as crowd segregation. No trouble whatsoever - lots of good natured banter between the fans. Darlington clinched promotion with that point and we were promoted the following weekend at home. Booked in overnight somewhere on Saturday and back home on Sunday. We were on a motorway for part of the journey ..... the M1? But yes - on the old A38 for much of the way. But petrol was five bob (25p) a GALLON !!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tomogull wrote: Great weekend, Wivel - wouldn't have missed it. Three of us went up in a mini on Friday night after work. Slept in a lay by on the way. Crammed into Feethams as you say - no such thing as crowd segregation. No trouble whatsoever - lots of good natured banter between the fans. Darlington clinched promotion with that point and we were promoted the following weekend at home. Booked in overnight somewhere on Saturday and back home on Sunday. We were on a motorway for part of the journey ..... the M1? But yes - on the old A38 for much of the way. But petrol was five bob (25p) a GALLON !!!!

thanks for that, its a good story. :clap:

you old bas**rd! :rofl: :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
thanks for that, its a good story. :clap:

you old bas**rd! :rofl: :rofl:
Er ..... thanks for that SuperNicky. Old Bas**rd maybe, but us Old Bas**rds could get petrol at five bob a gallon. Isn't that right, Wivel ???