Southend United V Torquay United 29/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

First post on here since November for a number of reasons you won't be interested in (may touch on them in the post however), other than yesterday was the first match I have been to since Wycombe, so feel the need and the ability to comment.

I finally gave up after the loss to York, so went yesterday with low expectations, preparing for next season. But it was still painful.

What is so frustrating is we, as a club from top to bottom, have shown no sign of having learnt anything from our mistakes. Perhaps it was more by coincidence, or the luck of the team selection tombola, but the fact that we had Mansell and Harding in midfield yesterday and Hawley up front spoke volumes. Where have we come in the last six months or so. Unfortunately we all know the answer to that.

I won't dwell on things too much, as it has been done to death on here, to no avail. But that this season, with the playing personnel that we have despite their limitations, has been allowed to go so drastically wrong is unforgivable, and many are responsible to some degree.

Our back five are not that bad, any of them, plus a couple of possible replacements not playing yesterday. First time I have seen O'Connor, he looks a decent player. I would say that our defensive unit, not perfect by any means, is well capable of featuring in a top 7 side of what by all accounts (anyone hear the text from the Scunny fan on 606 last night?) has been a dire league this season. Will add that I think since last season Nico has been a weak link, but that is an old debate now, and he did fairly well yesterday.

Going forward, well we have absolutely no idea. But you don't need me to tell you that. The system is wrong, the tactics are ineffective, the midfield is not fit for purpose, and that surely now has to be obvious to absolutely everyone (even if you only read the forum and don't attend games), our wide players are isolated and don't appear to have focus (Chappell looked good, why has he been so far from the team?), we can't score - Clearly our (own) marquee striker is a capable footballer at this level, but that means piss all if there is no goal threat. Overall, we were feeble.

So we move on. I am an eternal optimist, and don't share the views of some that relegation spells the end of the club. It will be tough, granted, but finishing top 5 and playoffs means finishing in the top 20% of the division, that has to be a realistic target. I understand that significant changes and tough decisions will be requires, but this is football and also business. Nothing is impossible, but things will need to change. That said, I also believe we have little to lose in initially giving CH a chance to build his own team next season. But the signs this year have not been good, and, whilst time should be given, continued failure cannot be allowed to be an option.

I too thought they handled it for their goal. The referee lost control of the game late in the first half, and from before half time it looked very likely that someone would be sent off. To his credit, the ref didn't seem to want to do this (Should Harding have been sent off (for a foul, not because he was crap)?), but he was still poor.

The fact Southend are 7th is a sad reflection of the league we are in based on yesterday. And the strikers doing a little dance/jump as Rice kicked the ball lacked class, presumably coached. That were better but not by that much, and can't see them having any chance of going up.

Finally, seeing as Scunny have just broken a 125 year record for an unbeaten run, anyone else think we are nailed on to beat them next week, and probably comfortably so? Will matter not of course, as we aren't going to win 5 from 6, and even if we did not sure that would be enough.

3-0 next week, you heard it here first.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Travelled down from Preston yesterday and have never been more frustrated. Missed the first five minutes because parking was awful.

How does Hawley start and Yeoman doesn't?

Subs were made too late. Brown is right. If we played like we did after conceding for the full 90, I reckon we get a draw there. This 'counter attack' approach we seem to be going for is double w**k and s**t chips.

Does anyone have a full list of players we'll have under contract for next season?
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Off the top of my head:

Hawley
Chappell
Cameron
Benyon
Sullivan
Hutchings
Pearce

I can't see Chappell or Pearce staying!
The gulls are going up
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

gullno4 wrote:Off the top of my head:

Hawley
Chappell
Cameron
Benyon
Sullivan
Hutchings
Pearce

I can't see Chappell or Pearce staying!
I think both Harding and Tonge are here for another 12 months. Sorry to add to the gloom. :(
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

tomogull wrote: I think both Harding and Tonge are here for another 12 months. Sorry to add to the gloom. :(
harding has gone up from the conference before, he's not gonna be our worst player next year!
The gulls are going up
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I think also Harding would be an asset in the conference. Chappell and Pearce will go sadly and I wouldn't have any of those others listed. I do think Mansell would be a benefit for us next season but both he and Nico must leave. We need a clean break.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Most blatant handball in the history of the game.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I have just seen the Southend goal on the Football League Show - what the hell was Harding trying to do? He set the goal up nicely with a classic cross-goal header and even after that cock up he had chance to get in a tackle to prevent the goal but he was too slow to react. He's a bliddy liability and is up there with the worst players who have ever played for the club.