Fleetwood Town v Torquay United - 18/8/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

If you lot were offered a draw from this game, would you take it?

Just wanted to test the optimism levels. No need for you to answer, Brucie.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Yes. A point away at a title favourite is a good result for any club in this league.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Mattpuma wrote:Why is everyone convinced Morris should move into central midfield. He has had 12 months and not shown anything to reccommend him as anything more than a sub.
It's because that's the position he played in when playing for Blackpool and Scunny. No one can say Morris is a crap player, when he keeps playing in a position he's not used to. Even though you see him in that position (nearly) everytime he plays, he puts in 100% effort and gets on with the job. I don't think Morris is a very good player on the wing (thats probably because he's not a winger!) but I would love to see him in the middle once, just to show everyone that he has got the talent. When we played Accy last season at home when we won 1-0, Morris was moved into the middle when there was about 20 odd minutes to go in the game. He was in the game so much more, linking up with the wingers and forward players. I think he also involved in setting up the goal! So, I am convinced Morris should move into central midfield because he's got the talent, he has played in CM for other clubs and when he had a little spell in that position, he played very well. The only problem is, we have a plentiful number of good players that fill those centre midfield positions.

Anyway onto the game on Saturday and I'll be going and hope to see a few of you up there as well! Let's hope there's plenty of noise made to get behind the boys from the very start!

Here we go again! COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: It's because that's the position he played in when playing for Blackpool and Scunny. No one can say Morris is a crap player, when he keeps playing in a position he's not used to. Even though you see him in that position (nearly) everytime he plays, he puts in 100% effort and gets on with the job. I don't think Morris is a very good player on the wing (thats probably because he's not a winger!) but I would love to see him in the middle once, just to show everyone that he has got the talent. When we played Accy last season at home when we won 1-0, Morris was moved into the middle when there was about 20 odd minutes to go in the game. He was in the game so much more, linking up with the wingers and forward players. I think he also involved in setting up the goal! So, I am convinced Morris should move into central midfield because he's got the talent, he has played in CM for other clubs and when he had a little spell in that position, he played very well. The only problem is, we have a plentiful number of good players that fill those centre midfield positions.

Anyway onto the game on Saturday and I'll be going and hope to see a few of you up there as well! Let's hope there's plenty of noise made to get behind the boys from the very start!

Here we go again! COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!
If the middle is Morris's best position then why was he not utilised here last season when it was clear Eunan was knackered and his performances dipped?

Seems strange to me.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I found this when searching on YouTube, an amusing video on a trip to Fleetwood.

[youtube]Zl39KonGp3c[/youtube]
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I've always seen Morris as a left-midfielder by trade, but NOT a winger. Ling's system requires quick wingers getting in and around Rene Howe and, more importantly, bombing on down the wings. Morris is not that type of player. I think he's definitely more suited to a 4-4-2 formation where the pressure would be on the wide players more to retain possession.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Richinns wrote: If the middle is Morris's best position then why was he not utilised here last season when it was clear Eunan was knackered and his performances dipped?

Seems strange to me.

That's a question I cannot answer because I would have loved to see Morris play in Eunan's position, because as you said, his performances towards the end of the season were not great. I don't know why Ling didn't play Morris in O'Kanes place, but Morris is not a winger and had his best spells in his career as a centre midfielder or a left sided midfielder, but not a winger.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Morris had a few games in central midfield last season when we had Bodin out wide and one of Lathrope, Mansell or O'Kane were suspended (I think they were port vale away, Sheffield Utd away and one other game). Morris played pretty well in there - not as creative as O'Kane, not as strong a ball-winner as Manse but had a good balance between the two, plus is good in the air. I'd run with it for Fleetwood
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well said danny , i agree and morris gets a lot of unfair stick, he may not be the best but he does put in 100% effort, i think there will always be a split with the fans on this one , but whatever player lingy plays we must support them, good luck with your trip to fleetwood mate, wish i was going. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

i want to see Morris play at least 5 or 6 games in central midfield before I confirm that I don't rate him. As a winger he's rancid. As a central player? lets see.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

I'd like to see Morris in the middle for an extended period.

Showing my age here but I remember seeing a program on either Bob Paisley or Souness talking about the Liverpool team of the 80's. Anyway, in it Paisley was saying any team should have a midfield of a Buzzer, a Cruncher and a Spreader.

So, taking that, I'd say Morris is your Spreader, Manse is your Buzzer and although football has changed from the Jimmy Case Cruching days, Lathrope / Easton are your Cruchers or break up of play - ers.
TUST #324
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i really dont know what to make of this one, theres gonna be huge pressure on fleetwood, in front of a passionate, probably, sold out home crowd, and their first game in the football league ever. theyre undoubtably a powerful side

on our day we know we can get a result against anyone in our division, and probably several in the division above too! so i'm gonna plump for the most popular score of last season 0-1 howe!
still keeping the faith
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

stevegull wrote:I've always seen Morris as a left-midfielder by trade, but NOT a winger. Ling's system requires quick wingers getting in and around Rene Howe and, more importantly, bombing on down the wings. Morris is not that type of player. I think he's definitely more suited to a 4-4-2 formation where the pressure would be on the wide players more to retain possession.
I entirely agree with this. Whilst it was an outstanding team performance, I thought Morris looked particularly adept on the left at Bristol Rovers when we played a 4-4-2 formation. Looking back to the 2003-04 side, we had two wide players rather than wingers: Hilly (great in the air, tenacious, popped up with goals but lacking pace and ability) and Fowler (outstanding footballer but a little languid and flaky). I would place Morris somewhere in between the two, both stylistically and in terms of technical ability. Unfortunately, that doesn't really fit our current system.

As for the match, I think it's the second in what will prove a tough August. I'd absolutely take a draw, and be delighted we won't have to travel up there on a weather-threatened winter night.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

From the Fleetwood eleven that started against Forest it's Mawhene, Nicholson and Ball that bother me most. Three classy players that we have to watch out for. It will also be a good test for Saah and Downes to see how they cope with fatboy anti-footballer Parkin.

I'm going for a good show of passing football from us and a 2-1 win, with Bodin and Howe getting one each.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Seaside
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Seaside »

Hi All,

Firstly I am a Blackpool Fan, not FTFC but here's how I saw FTFC the other night V Forest.

FTFC were the better team in the first half by far but they lacked any real threat on the Forest goal even wth Ball and Parkin. I do think that these two will get LOADS of goals this season. Parkin was a presence but was f..k.. last 25 minutes. Ball was quick, didn't have a great game but you can tell he will do well working with Parkin.. The full backs pushed on a great deal, particularly Beeley? at Right back he's quick too.
They were quick and neat in midfield and played some lovely stuff first half. Back four were comfortable on the ball but can't help think that Bentley? their captain and centre half will get caught for pace if you have a quick C/F. Thats if he lets him gets past him as he is built like Parkin!
Second half Forest could have had a few more and 3-0 would probably have been a better reflection on the game.
If you are making the trip up have a safe journey and enjoy your day. Jim's Bar is worth a visit which is at the Memorial Stand end of the ground. Open to both fans, TV's galore in there, lots of stewards so nice n safe.
ALB
Dave