Ready for criticism

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

stevegull wrote:I disagree with the criticism of English football as a whole. Sure, the atmosphere at Plainmoor isn't always amazing but if you look elsewhere in England then I think we put the other European supporters to shame.

For example, I was watching some terrible Spainish team play Barcelona in La Liga the other day. And this fairly poor Spanish side (sad i forgot the name) couldn't even get close to filling their stadium. And this is a common problem in Spain's top league. Even when the 'big boys' of Barcelona and Real Madrid come to town they can't fill their stadium. Then look at teams like Blackpool and Reading who have risen to the top flight and filled their stadium consistantly, even when Wigan come to town!

I also think the Stoke fans represented English football fans tremendously well in the Europa League last season. They were loud to the very end, even when Villareal played them off the park. They were happy to be there; and loving every moment.

Sure some clubs like Wigan don't fill their ground but I think this problem is far less common in England. Foreign players and managers always make reference to playing in front of packed stadiums as their reason for loving the English game.

Back to Torquay though and it would be nice for a better atmosphere and I wish you every success; no matter how hard it will ultimately be. Just make sure you don't alienate those 'old boys' that have followed our club for many years. They are the lifeblood of our club.
But Stoke are the exception. Whenever they are live on the Tv or radio the commentators always comment how much louder and more supportive their fans are than any other they see.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I always remember Plainmoor being much more rowdy than it is now. Lot's of things have changed, but as has been said, you've got to start somewhere.

I think most people, young and old, will join in with a chant if it is known and the atmosphere has built up to a certain level. We all witness it on occassion. It is up to your group to try and generate that on a regular basis.

Hats off to you Walshy and keep up the good work.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

look at what they've achieved, a few cringey flags? Leave it to the europeans where it looks good. I think the most naff thing i've ever seen is when Aldershot's 34 fans turn up with 40 flags. uLOLtras.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by holsten »

royalgull wrote:look at what they've achieved, a few cringey flags? Leave it to the europeans where it looks good. I think the most naff thing i've ever seen is when Aldershot's 34 fans turn up with 40 flags. uLOLtras.
What, and stay years behind what the rest of Europe, and soon the country are doing? They all had to start somewhere.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

royalgull wrote:look at what they've achieved, a few cringey flags? Leave it to the europeans where it looks good. I think the most naff thing i've ever seen is when Aldershot's 34 fans turn up with 40 flags. uLOLtras.
anybody that gets up and does something positive ..whether you think it is cringeworthy ..to support our team is good in my eyes....keep up the good work :)
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

I personally am fully behind this. The name Torquay Fanatics isn't as imaginative as siege army, or Argyles olive oil brand, but shows the guys commitment to not alienating other fans. At the very least, their intention is to have a good time at the football and try and create an atmosphere inside plainmoor, whether it works or not doesn't matter,
I think its great that people are having a go.
After the awful game on Saturday, Ling came out and thanked the group on the pop who sung through one of the worst yellow performances of the last couple of seasons. There wasn't many of you guys, but you were awesome. We normally stand just in front of you, and you kept our spirits up,(as well as that of the team) kept us singing, and made the result far easier to stomach. Its guys like you who keep me coming to Plainmoor, and make me proud to be TUFC. It sounds like you've thought it through really well this time, and I think that something like this could increase the attendance of young fans, by giving them something that they can get directly involved in, and by making Plainmoor feel a more positive place to be.
Me and a few mates are up for joining in at games, and I'l whack a few quid in when you get the kitty going.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

stevegull wrote:I disagree with the criticism of English football as a whole. Sure, the atmosphere at Plainmoor isn't always amazing but if you look elsewhere in England then I think we put the other European supporters to shame.

For example, I was watching some terrible Spainish team play Barcelona in La Liga the other day. And this fairly poor Spanish side (sad i forgot the name) couldn't even get close to filling their stadium. And this is a common problem in Spain's top league. Even when the 'big boys' of Barcelona and Real Madrid come to town they can't fill their stadium. Then look at teams like Blackpool and Reading who have risen to the top flight and filled their stadium consistantly, even when Wigan come to town!

I also think the Stoke fans represented English football fans tremendously well in the Europa League last season. They were loud to the very end, even when Villareal played them off the park. They were happy to be there; and loving every moment.

Sure some clubs like Wigan don't fill their ground but I think this problem is far less common in England. Foreign players and managers always make reference to playing in front of packed stadiums as their reason for loving the English game.

Back to Torquay though and it would be nice for a better atmosphere and I wish you every success; no matter how hard it will ultimately be. Just make sure you don't alienate those 'old boys' that have followed our club for many years. They are the lifeblood of our club.
It's not about filling the staduim but using the fans that you've already got. In the spanish game you mention, I'm sure it wasn't a full ground but you can pretty much garentee that there were a group of supporters that stood for the whole game. who gave it 110% for 90 minutes and had some sort of visual display for when the players came out and during the game. Yes some English clubs do the same but its no way near the standard that you will see in Spain, Italy, Germany etc. Im not saying that English clubs will ever be on par with other european clubs but if we can all convert are passion for the club into singing and visual displays. It will not only look good but people might enjoy it whilst joining in and it might even get results on the pitch! :)
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

One of the most mis guided comments in football is when people say that players and managers go but supporters stay forever.

That on the whole is not the case. As a youngster I thought I would carry on going to footy every week forever, but getting married having kids and a mortgage and trying to get on at work all put a stop to that....or at the very least stopped me going more than I was.

Now I am a little older I have the time and money to go to any match I want....that will always happen in football, but what is important is that young fans fighting for their independence from their folks have a well behaved group to gradually look up to, join and aspire to be a part of.

The people involved with this initiative will not allow this group to become a closed shop and that can only be a great thing for the club.

....As I have said on this forum before the most important member of the yellow army is not the one who has been to every game for 10 years, gone to Barrow on a Tuesday night or York on a Sunday night.....but the person coming to footy for the very first time.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by holsten »

Cheers for the support fellas!

We've got a website up and running (www.torquayfanatics.eu), albeit in the construction stages, but there is a donate button on there through Paypal. We've recieved a few donations already, as well as the boys chipping in for the Fanatics flag due to arrive today, and all transactions whether it be buying flags online or buying pvc poles in Wilko will go through the organisation's bank account we set up.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by holsten »

First new flag arrives! Sorry the picture is shit quality, it was dark otherwise I would have taken one outside, without a flash blurring it.

Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Actually a decent looking flag there Walshy! Make sure you take the other crap flag down though and replace it with that one!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by holsten »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Actually a decent looking flag there Walshy! Make sure you take the other crap flag down though and replace it with that one!
Cheers mate!

Yeah that was the plan. It's all going yellow and blue. ;-) :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am fully behind this and hope the club are aswell, you are right Walshy we have slipped some way behind the rest of Europe and I think health and safety which has gone banana's in this country hasn't helped, you can't stand up because someone might fall over, can't wave a flag incase it has someones eye out, yet the Germans, Dutch, Italians don't appear to have a problem with it.

Every time I watch the Champions league or highlights from Germany, holland, Italy I allways look at the colour and the noise brilliant love all that, it will take time and hopefully your group will encourage new and young fans to come along, however find yourself a good drummer I know you guys tend to share it around a bad drummer just puts people off.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Walshy will the club let you bring flags in and banners in like Aldershot and Exeter do?
Formerly known as forevertufc
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by holsten »

forevertufc wrote:I am fully behind this and hope the club are aswell, you are right Walshy we have slipped some way behind the rest of Europe and I think health and safety which has gone banana's in this country hasn't helped, you can't stand up because someone might fall over, can't wave a flag incase it has someones eye out, yet the Germans, Dutch, Italians don't appear to have a problem with it.

Every time I watch the Champions league or highlights from Germany, holland, Italy I allways look at the colour and the noise brilliant love all that, it will take time and hopefully your group will encourage new and young fans to come along, however find yourself a good drummer I know you guys tend to share it around a bad drummer just puts people off.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Walshy will the club let you bring flags in and banners in like Aldershot and Exeter do?
Cheers mate, I'm writing an email to the club at the moment. I've brought flags before, but they don't like bamboo sticks. However, I've done my research and Stanley, Exeter, Palace etc all use PVC electrical/plumbing pipe. It's thin, strong and quite bendy (really can't do any damage). This is what the Europeans use as well.
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

brooker wrote:I personally am fully behind this. The name Torquay Fanatics isn't as imaginative as siege army, or Argyles olive oil brand, but shows the guys commitment to not alienating other fans. At the very least, their intention is to have a good time at the football and try and create an atmosphere inside plainmoor, whether it works or not doesn't matter
Totally agree with the above. I'm liking the look of all this and the radical slant.

Just need to work on some songs. I'm far too middle-aged and usually half-cut to get involved, but in the past few years the songs have really taken a dive; it's mostly generic stuff that everyone sings. It would be nice get some songs that sing up for our turf a bit - I'm not suggesting going back to the days of Widdecombe Fair and Drink Up Thee Cider (or am I...?), but something with a bit of identity would be good.