How healthy are the club's finances????

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Edd,

Your idea is flawed by the fact that we rarely appear on tv for cup games. Therefore the expense of moving the screen etc simply doesn't make sense for the sake of the slim chance of us appearing on TV

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

Can I just state the obvious here and nail this "move the screen" nonsense. IF, on the odd chance we are chosen for a TV slot in the Cup. Then ITV/BBC/SKY will bring their own cameras and place them around the ground. I would hazard a guess that at least 1 of them would be in the Bench. End!
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No, they didn't, the trick you think they missed doesn't exist.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
UptonExile
New Signing
New Signing

Post by UptonExile »

Just as a quick one on the digital, the company I did the animations for, pitchside, paid a couple of hundred grand for 2x60 sec slots at about 50% of home games for the hammers. I know we're talking about totally different advertisers and the cash involved is relative but I can only see it being a good thing myself. As long as it is marketed to the right people.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

No doubt that having an advert on the screen is good for business, of course it is, the argument Edd is trying to make (not because he believes it, no one is that stupid, but because he thinks it irks me) is that, were the screen visible on TV, we would be able to charge more. This, of course, is patently untrue.

Upton, you WILL hear from me (honest), but for now, other things...

Matt.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

On this argument about the big screen I am in complete argeement with matt, for a start the club put the screen in the only corner of the ground they could put it, look at the other 3 corners of the ground, they are either a main entrance and exit for fans or there simply would not be enough room to put a big screen.

Also ask yourself a question how many premier league clubs have big screens, how many times are they on T.V and how many times during the course of a match do you actually see the big screens at premier league grounds, hardly if ever, mainly due to the fact the T.V camaras are there to cover the match and are following the play.

If we were lucky enough to get on the T.V every time the play went down into that corner, or there was a corner taken from that side you would be able to see the screen.
Formerly known as forevertufc
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

ferrarilover wrote:You're worrying unnecessarily. We made a shed load of wonga from the sale of Bobby and others and didn't spend any of it. We've invested heavily in very expensive 'one-off' projects over the last couple of years and that has coincided with a poor year in the cups (our first for ages). Given our spending, £111,000 loss probably represents a £189,000 profit with a freak £300,000 outlay on stuff which will last longer than the Third Reich.

Matt - profit and loss doesn't work this way. If we spend £300k on facilities for the club it does mean that there is £300k less profit in that year. The £111k loss is very real.

However I assume that is for the tax year 2011-12 and not season 2011-12 and so would not include the sales of Bobby and Eunan.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Just to add - the accounts are for the season as they run until 30th June 2012. Not sure when the sales went through so difficult to see what is included from player sales.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Too many bloody accountancy bores on here! :~D

Ignore the terminology I have used inappropriately, the maths and the sentiment behind it make sense.

Matt.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

ferrarilover wrote:Too many bloody accountancy bores on here! :~D

Ignore the terminology I have used inappropriately, the maths and the sentiment behind it make sense.

Matt.
No, the point is that the maths and sentiment are wrong. You cannot say don't worry about a £111k loss because we spent a load on facilities.

I suspect the club is heavily reliant on Thea Bristow to ensure it keeps going.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

The club spends (or whatever the term is) £1, 000, 000 in year 1
The club earns (or whatever the term is) £1, 000, 000 in year 1
The club spends £1, 111, 000 in year 2 (including a one-off payment if £111, 000 for the training ground)
The club earns £1, 000, 000 in year 2.

Net effect, the club has lost (or whatever) £111, 000. This looks dreadful, but really, it's not.

Matt.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Matt, really, give up when you are behind :O)

Accounts work nothing like that.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:You're worrying unnecessarily. We made a shed load of wonga from the sale of Bobby and others and didn't spend any of it. We've invested heavily in very expensive 'one-off' projects over the last couple of years and that has coincided with a poor year in the cups (our first for ages). Given our spending, £111,000 loss probably represents a £189,000 profit with a freak £300,000 outlay on stuff which will last longer than the Third Reich.

Deutschland Deutschland über alles.

Matt.
I should bloody hope so seeing as the Third Reich only lasted 12 years!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

exilegull wrote:Matt, really, give up when you are behind :O)

Accounts work nothing like that.
Do accounts not use the same maths as everyone else?

Matt.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Lol at Ferrarilover again.

Can't you get anything right?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."