Torquay United v Portsmouth - JPT Rnd 1

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

As long as we give a good account of ourselves then I will be happy. With the budget and size of Portsmouth FC, they should beat us.

Would like to see some of the younger lads have a go. Going for 1-1 with a loss on penalties.

Focus on the League and FA Cup games for me.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Battle of the Bells?
John Bartlett v John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I reckon there'll be 700+ Pompey fans tonight. Loud vocal support from a big Torquay crowd (3000+..!!!) will be like an extra man in the Gulls team. With cheap prices to get in, there's no excuse not to go. k.o. 7:45 pm.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

its that time of year again! here we go folks the competition the managers feel they could do without.

always at this stage given the same consideration as a pre season friendly, even by supporters. now, the league is obviously more important than anything, no chance in the league cup, an fa cup run would be nice, but being realistic this is our best chance to get a good cup run and maybe, just maybe its winnable (an optimist).

wouldnt it be nice for once to give it a bloody good go?

now for those of you that think it dont mean $h1t, let me take you on a trip down memory lane to a magical, special time in 1989.

this clip from youtube shows the build up to one of the greatest moments in our history.

for those of you that were watching the mighty yellows then ( or bloody whites as they were that season :Z ), you remember how the build up and the day itself felt. wouldnt it be awesome to have moments like this again.

enjoy -

[youtube]RiOh77TiXT4[/youtube]

(sigh) :'(
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME ON!!!!!!!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :keepie: :goal:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I reckon, going from the match reports, that Harding still needs game time to gel in the squad. That said, I'm going for a Harding Lathrope partnership.

Would also like to see Cruise and Benners start, and Bodin to maybe sit this one out and see what Chappers and Cam can do with their pace.

Maybe a starting 11 looking like this:

Ricey

Tonge Pearce Downes cruise

Chappell Harding Lathrope Cameron

Benyon Hawley/Ball (not fussed either way)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

There's no way that's a guess.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote:There's no way that's a guess.

Matt.
What?

The keeper picks himself, given our other one is injured. Of the back four the only one that could be removed is Kev. In midfeld Harding needs match time to sort his head out and its either Lathrope or Craig left to fight for the other midfield berth. Given that Craig isn't even getting splinters in his arse, he has no chance of starting. Benners needs match practice and so should start before either Ball or Hawley - the one thats dropped goes to the bench.

Guess work, but a fairly educated one.

Why, do you know something we don't?

STIP
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I would love another trip to Wembley soon and I reckon this is our best opportunity so I hope we take this seriously.

Wembley finals which aren't playoff finals are alot better to handle when you lose!!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Bodin to maybe sit this one out and see what Chappers and Cam can do with their pace.
Bodin is with the Wales U21 team for the next 2 games
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Yellow4life wrote:Bodin is with the Wales U21 team for the next 2 games
Ok - in that case the wingers pick themselves.

STIP
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Ok - in that case the wingers pick themselves.
Niall Thompson?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Why would he start when Juan has been rotating the other three? (C,C and B)

On the bench I guess, then a cameo towards the end, picks up the ball after a perfect pass from Cruise, a quick one-two with Craig (also making a cameo), then a lob over the keeper for the winner.

All three then to be dropped for the next match....

;-)

STIP
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Always thought we should take the JPT seriously one time, would be nice to take a trip to Wembley and a possibility to win a trophy, even though it's the JPT. Fans say it's the tin pot trophy, but it's the only trophy we'll be able to win lets be fair, why not take it a little bit more seriously?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

like i said, take a look at the 89 montage and tell me its a tin pot trophy that doesnt mean anything. yes the early rounds arent easy to get excited about, but once you get to the area final stage, it certainly pricks your interest.

that whole build up and the day itself was just unbelievable. i cant really describe it now. the score on the day didnt dampen it too much. the scoreline wasnt a true reflection of the game but it didnt really matter. the occasion was fantastic, over 20,000 supporting torquay there (where did they all come from). the most support of all our 5 wembley visits.

much better than the fa trophy final and as mentioned by nick, not as much of a choker if you lose as the play off final is.

please, please, please, lets give it a go. its only 6 games to get to wembley. :whistle:

tonight = 1-1, torquay win 4-3 on penalties.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).