Martin Rice

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

While the criticism offered by my learned friend Tezza (and Lloyd) is probably fair, it should come with the caveat that Ricey is a L2 keeper, so there's always going to be something he's not so good at. Bobby was good at everything, hence he should be in the Premier League (I shudder to think what the Posh are paying him).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, and Van de Sar Dutch international keeper dropped the ball into the back of his net during his last season with Man.u but thats the thing with keepers, no body really see's the mistakes made by out field players, with the keeper there is no hiding place.

Any criticism of Ricey is harsh to say the least. Dithering on the ball come on, if the keeper has not got an option to get the ball out quick, what do we as fans want Ricey to do ? Just pick the ball up and boot for the sake of getting it out quick, no. If there is not an option there, hang on the ball, let the team re-set and then play it.Thats the right for any keeper to do.

Yep he may have made one bad decision, but again come on. So far this season Ricey saved us a point against Wimbledon, for what I can gather did the same at Morecambe, and was largely the reason we only went in 1 down at Northampton. We surely can forgive the lad on bad decision, can't we ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

brucie
Did anyone notice in the second half of the Hartlepool game when he hesitated and failed to come for a ball which was clearly his to get and put Downes into all sorts of trouble. Almost cost us a goal with that one.
You're right on that one Brucie. Although, viewed from our side (i.e Bristow's Bench) it's probably easier to assess the flight and speed of the ball than from Rice's viewpoint. I agree the right decision should have been to come for the ball, and he would surely have collected it with ease before the Hartlepool player got there.

I'm less certain that it is an example of dithering. For all I know, Rice had made up his mind not to come for the ball and he stuck to that decision. Had he made a very late charge out of his goal and consequently been beaten to the ball by the Hartlepool forward, then the accusation of dithering would be more clear cut.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Given the speed with which he now comes off his line to intercept balls on the edge of the area, compared to what he was like before this season, he could hardly be accused of dithering any more. There have been plenty of "not quite hit right" back passes for him to deal with, despite often close attention from opposing players, yet he can hold his head high. More power to the fella I say...
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Got a signed pair of his gloves recently, win.
We'll be back...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

another good save today according to reports........

surely the POTS so far.....

we wil lhave to brace ourselves for the six-figure bid for him in the transfer window from a championship team.............. :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

His save today was very good indeed. It was a delightful example of what he's always been good at, a reaction save to a snap shot from close range.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Reading Gull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Hill n Sills!

Post by Reading Gull »

My boss always harks back to the day that we signed Martin for a second time, when he glimpsed a side of me that he never knew existed... Lets just say that i was slightly miffed!
This is to my shame however, as i have witnessed Ricey become an integral part of our whole team. The bloke has a cracking work ethic and a smile that reminds me of those few truly loyal players that have graced the club with their presence. Hockers springs to mind immediately.
He has really proved himself so far this season and i for one am over the moon for him!