It's a long way home from York..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

gullintwoplaces wrote:What you say about Ling is heartfelt and I agree with you. I would add to the list of causes of our woes the wan*ers who helped drive Martin Ling to despair. I particularly remember the idiot on Bristow's Bench who really upset Martin at a game shortly before he went off sick, hope you are proud of yourself you piece of dirt.
Oh dear. I'm hard pushed to think of a manager since the Webb era who hasnt had verbals from the stand at some time in their tenure (including legends like Cyril, Hodgy, Leroy etc.
If it's gong to affect someone that much, they are in the wrong bloody job.....
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Sunnysideup wrote: Oh dear. I'm hard pushed to think of a manager since the Webb era who hasnt had verbals from the stand at some time in their tenure (including legends like Cyril, Hodgy, Leroy etc.
If it's gong to affect someone that much, they are in the wrong bloody job.....
What Lingy had to put up with was a lot more than "verbals". There are a few "fans" in the Bench with much to be ashamed about. I have said before that some "fans" (not many, but they are very obvious and very loud) who clearly go to Plainmoor as part of an anger therapy programme. These lovely folk should know that we can all now look back on Lingy's period in charge as some of the better times at Plainmoor.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

gullintwoplaces wrote: What Lingy had to put up with was a lot more than "verbals". There are a few "fans" in the Bench with much to be ashamed about. I have said before that some "fans" (not many, but they are very obvious and very loud) who clearly go to Plainmoor as part of an anger therapy programme. These lovely folk should know that we can all now look back on Lingy's period in charge as some of the better times at Plainmoor.
And no more than the vitriol that was directed (in more recent times) at Buckle and Knill (yes, bloke with the hair that looks like a badger, I mean you). Its part and parcel of being a manager regardless of the fact that you (or I) may think it wrong. I can pretty much say though, having only missed a handful of matches over the last 8 or 9 years, by far the worst abuse I heard was aimed at Buckle, not Ling.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

great OP Ben. :clap:

f**king hell though, I didnt realise I had depressed you that much on tuesday night whilst we were all watching that shower of sh*te.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

It was your farts Chris. I think they must have contained nerve gas or some other brain altering chemicals which led to Ben's outpouring of doom! :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lol indeed Andy, see the thing is about Chris S-N-W he likes a good curry might explain the nuclear powered farts.. :)

Right on to the thread, Ben me old mate, promise you I've read every word of that, took a while, but got there in the end.. :) for me the winner of post of all time, summed up perfectly what so many supporters are feeling like at the moment. :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:Lol indeed Andy, see the thing is about Chris S-N-W he likes a good curry might explain the nuclear powered farts.. :)

Right on to the thread, Ben me old mate, promise you I've read every word of that, took a while, but got there in the end.. :) for me the winner of post of all time, summed up perfectly what so many supporters are feeling like at the moment. :clap:
you can get ready Mr. Train. :@ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:It was your fart Chris. I think they must have contained nerve gas or some other brain altering chemicals which led to Ben's outpouring of doom! :na:
edited for factuals.

and you dont need any "brain altering chemicals".......

TUST Member 468

Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

:goodpost: Congratulations on an amazing post, Bengull. I read every every word of it whilst listening to Torquay losing to Southend 1-0 (surprise, surprise) and I agree with all of it. You sum everything up brilliantly and eloquently and well done to all your loyal support. Hopefully with supporters like you means there is still a future for our club.

I am reminded reading your post what a great job Ling did at our club and THAT decision to sack him was the worse and most costly decision this consortium have made and will probably ever make. All has gone downhill from that point and sadly there is no sign things will improve in the foreseeable future. Already it looks a little bleak for next season in the Conference bearing in mind all the "dead wood" that will still be under contract next season. At least Buckle could start afresh when he arrived with only 4 under contract but no such luck for Hargreaves.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Cracking OP. Spot on re Ling, also.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Ah more cherish memories of Ling, he was never going to continue as manager, the end!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

As is generally the way with the sack. Full stop.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

If a manager does a fairly decent job then he gets the sack.

Ling did unbelievably well in his first season but failed spectacularly in his second to the point where we looked like we would drop. Regardless of illness, he got the sack.

Knill was just shit so he got the sack.

Hargreaves will get the sack sooner rather than later I presume based on what I've seen.

Managers know what they need to do in order to keep their jobs, do reasonably well or at least show that they have a grasp on reality. It's quite simple. Obviously not every manager of every team in a league can do well thus there will always be teams at the foot of the table therefore the managers of those clubs should be sacked. It's how it is.

If Knill had achieved BELOW our expectations and had us say 4th from bottom for much of the time he would still have been failing but kept his job. As it was he failed badly at a club with exceedingly low expectations.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

And there was me thinking you said you'd read bengull's OP and agreed with it, Andy. Obviously not the lengthy part regarding Martin Ling