Give Hargreaves A Chance

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: ...it is just you choose to ignore the sheer weight of evidence that contradicts your flimsy argument.

eg

1) Knill's entire record at TUFC
2) Knill's record this season
3) The fact that most form indicators are usually based on 6 games rather than 5, but then that wouldn't make your manipulation of the facts look so good.
4) The fact that the final 3 games of your much heralded 5, were abject performances. Analyse trends and even an idiot (well...) can see that it was only heading one way.
5) The fact that Knill, in his setting out the cones and collecting in the bibs role at Northampton, is not exactly setting them alight.

Question for you Stefano? Torquay and Northampton will be relegated this season. What do they have in common? Hmmm....let me think.
Questions questions questions. Must be an occupational hazard for you! Would love it if Northampton got relegated as have never liked them. Don't think they will mind .... although once again you have stated an opinion as if it is a fact. You don't even have anything worth calling an argument (certainly not a cogent one) let alone flimsy. I call it Hector Syndrome ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I have to say that I'm disappointed in Hargreaves managerial (non) achievements thus far. Knill had to go and probably should have gone in November. In view of the position we were in, my preference would have been for an experienced manager to have been appointed, or Hargreaves with someone a la Neil Warnock to work with him until the end of the season. Digressing for a moment, we were never told who else applied other than 'there have been several expressions of interest'. Someone on here mentioned Byrne ex-Argyle winger - he certainly had some credentials. Anyway, Hargreaves was appointed. I wasn't too disappointed - he was a leader as a player, a winner, a positive person and seems to have been well thought of in the coaching posts he's had. It was a gamble to appoint someone with no experience but I thought he had enough to keep us in the league. Stefano says we were just one point adrift from safety when he was appointed. I'm not sure if that is true but I don't doubt Stefano.

He started with a great win away to AFC Wimbledon but then he wasn't helped by a series of postponed games because of waterlogged pitches and so his first home match was several weeks after his appointment. I've been disappointed with some of his team selections and I've been disappointed that he hasn't changed the playing style - we're still playing sky football with little movement off the ball and no shape to the team. And the players he has brought in with the possible exception of Goodwin haven't exactly set the place alight. He had to manage with the players already at the club so that was a tough call but he has had since January to change things around and he hasn't. His appointment was a gamble and it has failed. However, we must be fair and support him and Hodges next season as they build their own team. I do think the big problem this season has been the lack of confidence throughout the team because we just have not had anyone who can score regularly. Wins breeds confidence and success but if there's nobody to stick the ball in the back of the net, you aint going to win. Simple as that.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

tomogull wrote:I have to say that I'm disappointed in Hargreaves managerial (non) achievements thus far. Knill had to go and probably should have gone in November. In view of the position we were in, my preference would have been for an experienced manager to have been appointed, or Hargreaves with someone a la Neil Warnock to work with him until the end of the season. Digressing for a moment, we were never told who else applied other than 'there have been several expressions of interest'. Someone on here mentioned Byrne ex-Argyle winger - he certainly had some credentials. Anyway, Hargreaves was appointed. I wasn't too disappointed - he was a leader as a player, a winner, a positive person and seems to have been well thought of in the coaching posts he's had. It was a gamble to appoint someone with no experience but I thought he had enough to keep us in the league. Stefano says we were just one point adrift from safety when he was appointed. I'm not sure if that is true but I don't doubt Stefano.

He started with a great win away to AFC Wimbledon but then he wasn't helped by a series of postponed games because of waterlogged pitches and so his first home match was several weeks after his appointment. I've been disappointed with some of his team selections and I've been disappointed that he hasn't changed the playing style - we're still playing sky football with little movement off the ball and no shape to the team. And the players he has brought in with the possible exception of Goodwin haven't exactly set the place alight. He had to manage with the players already at the club so that was a tough call but he has had since January to change things around and he hasn't. His appointment was a gamble and it has failed. However, we must be fair and support him and Hodges next season as they build their own team. I do think the big problem this season has been the lack of confidence throughout the team because we just have not had anyone who can score regularly.

Which is why setting the team up each week with the same formation and same gameplan months after it is proven it doesn't get us anywhere near enough goals is bizarre.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Give Hargreaves a chance?

I have spent some time pondering this question and I arrived at the following conclusions.

1 no chance for this season
2 very little for next season
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: Questions questions questions. Must be an occupational hazard for you! Would love it if Northampton got relegated as have never liked them. Don't think they will mind .... although once again you have stated an opinion as if it is a fact. You don't even have anything worth calling an argument (certainly not a cogent one) let alone flimsy. I call it Hector Syndrome ;-)
Oh dear, Stefano...you do seem confused as to what constitutes fact versus opinion but then again you confuse fact with fiction when putting forward your nonsensical arguments about your mate, Knill.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: Oh dear, Stefano...you do seem confused as to what constitutes fact versus opinion but then again you confuse fact with fiction when putting forward your nonsensical arguments about your mate, Knill.
Oh dear Hector obviously an early attempt at playing the April Fool. You wouldn't recognise a fact if it tried to pick a fight with you in the pub. You clearly assume that the muddled thoughts winging around inside your head are facts .... they are not. To illustrate the point 3 weeks ago you accused me of making up facts. I didn't bother to respond as it was blindingly obvious to everyone (everyone else that is Hector). It is not possible to 'make up' a fact. A fact is either a fact, or it is not a fact. There is no such thing as a made up fact other than in Hector's House.

Anyway it is about time you jumped down off your hobby horse and stop banging on about Mr Knill all the time. It's time to get behind the current manager, which is what this thread is about but your obsession with Mr Knill clearly has you confused! :rofl:

Res Ipsa Loquitur my dear Hector. Res Ipsa Loquitur ;-)
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Well done to both Hector and Stefano for providing us with some light relief to fill the time between the misery that is match days. They've proved to be a formidable double act and I've particularly enjoyed their last 5 posts...although I'm not sure if those give an accurate reflection of their overall contribution to the site.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Alpine Joe wrote:Well done to both Hector and Stefano for providing us with some light relief to fill the time between the misery that is match days. They've proved to be a formidable double act and I've particularly enjoyed their last 5 posts...although I'm not sure if those give an accurate reflection of their overall contribution to the site.
It is our pleasure AJ :)

.... and coming from the person (despite his Cornishness ;-) ) who I regard as the joint best poster on any of the Torquay United fans sites (the other being Barton Downs / Lummaton Cross / Old Actonian who although clearly having a split personality is excellent too) it is indeed a compliment.

I think though that you have sussed out that like Morcambe and Wise we write our material together. We must do as I have already got drafted on my desk my reply to his next reply to my last post which he hasn't posted yet! ;-)
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Stefano
I have already got drafted on my desk my reply to his next reply
I'll let you into a little secret Stefano; you're not the only one who is planning ahead. With Thea rumoured to be considering giving the financial tap a further twist towards the 'off' position, and The Trust as good as mothballed, there is one group already sensing it's chance to takeover !

Getting the former Manager of Truro City into a prominent position was just one part of our plan, and of course, son of Cornwall Alex Rowe infiltrated the Boardroom some time ago. We've studied the Russia/Ukraine/Crimea situation carefully and are fairly confident that TQ1 will fall into our hands.

All Cornish jokes will be outlawed in a few years time when St.Pirans Cross flutters proudly over Plainmoor :nod:

Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

The pasty munchers down the road fended you off previously when you made your move,and we will do the same. Even if the colour of your flag might have some historical relevance to our cause,we be Debon bouys and maids and proud of it!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:The pasty munchers down the road fended you off previously when you made your move,and we will do the same. Even if the colour of your flag might have some historical relevance to our cause,we be Debon bouys and maids and proud of it!
Don't let AJ lure you into the trap of answering whether the jam or the cream goes on top in a Devon cream tea. It's how they start to divide and conquer ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Alpine Joe wrote:Well done to both Hector and Stefano for providing us with some light relief to fill the time between the misery that is match days. They've proved to be a formidable double act and I've particularly enjoyed their last 5 posts...although I'm not sure if those give an accurate reflection of their overall contribution to the site.
I'm personally cant wait until they announce their engagement.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Seems CH's comments on the OS today are no different from those attributed to him after the Southend game which is why I started this thread.
It's pretty clear if the players, including those who are under contract for next season, don't shape up between now and the last match, they will be shipped out.
Good job too as too many have under-achieved.
CH wants to build his reputation as a manager and to do so he will need to be ruthless with his retained list.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

So will he offer manse and nicho contracts next season in the bt conference. Needs to get rid of the old and freshen things up, otherwise bring back sills at least he could score
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If Cargill and Cooper were to start on Saturday you might have your answer about Manse and Nico.