Out of contract players?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

CP Gull wrote: Well when you put it like that ..... YES! Although, I suppose we should really add Cruise to that list as he is only in effect being offered a "trial" in pre season with no guarantee of a contract offer.

With the likes of Benyon and Harding now added to the "not wanted" list the number of players who have been "listed" has now risen to an unhealthy EIGHT.

What does seem unfortunate is that there is a clear imbalance in the squad in that of those under contract only FOUR out of the TWELVE are deemed as wanted i.e. Pearce and Cameron, together with the youngsters Sullivan and Hutchings. Whilst of those out of contract, we wish to keep as many as SEVEN (Poke, Rice, Mansell, Lathrope, Bodin, Yeoman and Thompson) whilst only releasing TWO for definite (Nicholson and Stevens) or THREE (if you include Cruise) and probably FOUR (if you include Labadie).

It would clearly be far preferable if the MAJORITY of players that were under contract were in the Manager's plans and the MAJORITY of players who were out of contract were not! Unfortunately it is the reverse in both cases, which means that we have an awful lot of players on the transfer list, so much so that I cannot recall a time in recent memory where so many contracted players have been made available. In an ideal world, of course, all those players that Greavsie doesn't want will move on in the summer and all those players who he has offered new deals to will sign up .... but as we know, it is never that simple and I fully expect us to have a fair sprinkling of unhappy, unwanted players back next season whilst at the same time losing one or two of those we wanted to keep.

It is certainly going to be an interesting summer!
Very well put and the worry is, that with EIGHT unhappy, in effective players, we cannot get rid of (because let's face it, who is going to want the dross Knill lumbered us with), plus the players CH wishes to retain who are out of contract, we already have a large squad, made up of the same serial bottlers as last season.

I am pleased to see CH taking the action he is - it at least demonstrates he has a vision and some backbone - but circumstances beyond his control may prevent him from realising it, so it may be another year before we can judge him properly, as EIGHT players, if stuck with them, is a big chunk of his budget and squad space.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with hector.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

wivelgull wrote:I agree with hector.
:O

No, surely you mean Brucie?
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I agree with Wivel who agrees with Hector.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

It looks like Joss Labadie will not be offered a new contract for next season.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27441877

CH also states he has secured four experienced trialists for pre-season. He is not naming names as yet. But it will be interesting to see who these players are.

He also gives his views on loan signings and that he has spoken to Spurs and Brighton about Shaq and Shamir, which is good!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

If there is any way we can get Shaq back (cue fans campaign - GET THE SHAQ BACK!!) then I think we can sit back and enjoy the ride. He'd muller conference defences on his own.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:If there is any way we can get Shaq back (cue fans campaign - GET THE SHAQ BACK!!) then I think we can sit back and enjoy the ride. He'd muller conference defences on his own.
Wonderful as it would be, I can't see Spurs wanting him to get Conference experience next season. Might get some joy with Brighton for Shamir. Really hope we do. Also, Greavsie on youtube vid did say 4 players, but only two of whom he said are particularly experienced. The other two I assumed were the young lads mentioned in yesterday's Herald from Southend and Welling.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'd say different, Rob.

Hargreaves, speaking of the four triallists, is quoted on the BBC (which I realise is a bit like being quoted on Wikipedia, but it's what I'm running with)...

"Two have had quite a bit of League experience even though they're young, the other two are more experienced."

I make that two young but experienced, two old and experienced and also the two nippers you mention.

I haven't seen the youtube video (got a link?), so his words might be different there.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

ferrarilover wrote:I'd say different, Rob.

Hargreaves, speaking of the four triallists, is quoted on the BBC (which I realise is a bit like being quoted on Wikipedia, but it's what I'm running with)...

"Two have had quite a bit of League experience even though they're young, the other two are more experienced."

I make that two young but experienced, two old and experienced and also the two nippers you mention.

I haven't seen the youtube video (got a link?), so his words might be different there.

Matt.
Link

TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Cheers Roar, you're a gentleman.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

Cheers for the link - tbh if that interview doesn't inspire TUFC fans for pre season and the subsequent battle then not much will
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Thanks for the link

Great Interview, exactly what I wanted to hear. And thanks CH for doing that, it has relinquished any doubts I had. Its not his fault he has these contracted players, and it sounds like he is trying as hard as he can to get a decent squad for next season. Got my support now anyway!
TUST MEMBER
Mick83
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Mick83 »

Hello, with all this said where is Nathan Craig, not being funny but this guy has not even been given a chance, he should be retained and let him loose on the conference teams and see what he can actually do. Nico being released is a shame because I think he could have done some damage with that left foot of his. CH needs to get a shifty on to get a team together for start of the season. I have also heard on the great vine that Karl Baker is being looked at again
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Mick83 wrote:Hello, with all this said where is Nathan Craig, not being funny but this guy has not even been given a chance, he should be retained and let him loose on the conference teams and see what he can actually do. Nico being released is a shame because I think he could have done some damage with that left foot of his. CH needs to get a shifty on to get a team together for start of the season. I have also heard on the great vine that Karl Baker is being looked at again
Why not get Les Lawrence back, while you are at it?
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Mick83 wrote:Hello, with all this said where is Nathan Craig, not being funny but this guy has not even been given a chance, he should be retained and let him loose on the conference teams and see what he can actually do. Nico being released is a shame because I think he could have done some damage with that left foot of his. CH needs to get a shifty on to get a team together for start of the season. I have also heard on the great vine that Karl Baker is being looked at again
his left foot wasn't good in league 2, he can't hit the target or put the ball where he wants in league 2, the goals aren't going to move for him the conference!
The gulls are going up