Rovers fan in piece

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Nothing more ironic than a Rovers fan (why do they never learn?) yacking on at a disinterested audience about being a "big club" and beating clubs comfortably, then getting humped by poverty opposition.

Bristol Useless, the joke that keeps on giving.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I see that your keeper situation is somewhat desperate at the moment. Have seen that you had to sign Notts Counties keeper on months loan. which means you have no standby keeper for christmas period. how many others are injured. is that maybe why Rovers have stuttered today.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

No real injuries other than both goalkeepers and a great winger who we loaned from Fulham but has had to go back due to an ankle injury Glostergull and no excuses either. Just a bloody awful performance from the whole team. Rested 4 players but that can be no excuse as the players who came in were experienced so just a bad day at the Office with Bath City well deserving their win.
Much will depend how we react to that defeat on Friday night against Gateshead.
The advantage of a game at your ground will be the atmosphere which is always great there whereas today the atmosphere at our ground was really poor and that certainly doesn't help!! Had the feeling if we both got through today we would have drawn you and ended up playing you three times in 4 games so that is now out of the window.
As regards Matt don't know what his problem is but he doesn't seem to like us much! Jealousy of course because you don't have our history and support which unfortunately is all we have left!!! LOL I don't go with this "big club" rubbish as leave that to those over the River. At the end of the day it is results which count and if we come back on Boxing Day with nil points then does it really matter if we get bigger gates than you?
Bristolgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Sir Rodney

Post by Bristolgull »

I think matt makes fair and reasoned comment to be honest As for big club rubbish being the other side of the river at least city have been in the top league or close to it in living memory, plus they are on a good run at the moment.

I hear Daniel leadbitter made a rix for the second goal today, no doubt he was tweeting Lloyd macklin at the time about some tune. Let's hope he's still in the gas starting line up on Boxing Day.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

If you are going to compare at least get your facts right BristolGull. Bristol City 1982 have NEVER been in the top division. That was Bristol City FC. I admit they are doing very well this season and I was referring to the fact that they are the "Big Club" in Bristol but have always looked upon themselves as being a Top Championship Club. You look upon us as having a big club attitude but with all respect to you, compared to you we ARE a big club both in History and attendances BUT as I have said that matters not an IOTA when we are in the Conference because we are,what we are- a Conference club and deserve to be here. Big attendances don't get you points or score you goals and as for history that just weighs you down!!!
As regards Leadbitter,yes he made a terrible error today but is VERY unlikely to even be in the squad of 16 on Boxing Day. The same is likely for 3 others who played today but as I said that is no excuse because they are 4 experienced players whose inclusion today should still have brought about a positive result. Our biggest mistake today was resting Lee Mansell and I really hope that he comes to haunt you on Boxing day in the same way as Hawley and Nicholson have!!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

friendlygas wrote: Our biggest mistake today was resting Lee Mansell and I really hope that he comes to haunt you on Boxing day in the same way as Hawley and Nicholson have!!
If he does, several of our fans will be happy because they've already taken out bets on it ! But hopefully we'll score more than you, & then all our fans will be happy ! Have a Happy Christmas Friendlygas !!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

[quote="forevertufc"]I see 1,100 behind the goal and 500 seats in the bench quoted on the ground guide for Painmoor, not sure who wrote that, but I do not think those figures are near correct. Bristow's Bench has 450 away seats, The stand behind the goal has never housed more than 1,000 as far as I know, which I thought was reduced to 900 after the wall collapsed a couple of seasons ago, was League cup game v reading.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/I ... html/quote

Freudian slip there dave? :Oops: :} :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

friendlygas wrote:You look upon us as having a big club attitude but with all respect to you, compared to you we ARE a big club both in History and attendances
Firstly let me say you are OBVIOUSLY a bigger club than us. You regularly pull in more fans, and can get big gates if you're doing well. Being where you are gives you much more potential to sustain any success also.

However, this is the second time you've mentioned 'history and attendances' as the reason. Attendances are a given but history? Really?

I think you were formed about ten years before us (we are about 115 years old). You were founder members with argyle and Exeter in the old old division 3,which we joined 7 years after it started. We were both football league clubs up till 2007 when we got relegated, but it didn't take you THAT long, relatively speaking, to replicate that. As far as I know you've never won any cups of note? I think you won the league in the late eighties early nineties, admittedly something we've never done. You've never played in the top flight either. Obviously you have spent longer at a higher level than we have, but with frequent visits to the bottom tier.

All in all, while slightly superior to us, it's hardly something I would bang on about to show how much bigger you are. Also I'm not saying it's a history you shouldn't be proud of (as I am proud of ours) but that it's not that different, especially when you adjust for potential attendances!

As I said, I completely agree you are a bigger club, it's obvious to anyone who isn't completely mad, but let's lay off this history stuff eh?

Don't take this as a personal attack either, your input on this forum is always welcome.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Excellent points KitRobin and to be honest i had not looked up your history and it is pretty good to be honest and something you can be proud of but the point I was trying to make is really tied in to the Big Club thing and that when it comes down to it both the History and the Attendances mean nothing at all when looking at the current predicament. its all about the players on the field and the Manager NOW.
We are both where we are and the problem now is how to return to former glories....not really glories in the wider sense of the word but for us League 1 which at the moment seems as far away as the Premiership used to seem!!!
Good luck in all your games apart from when you play us!!! By the way, I pray that yesterday is the worst performance I see this season!!!!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

lol, love the "you don't have our history" angle.

History is what it is, so stick failing to beat Conference South Bath Cit twice in one season in your history journals. That would be the mighty Bath City that, whilst probably fully deserving their win, couldn't manage to beat Bishps Stortford.
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 15 Dec 2014, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

friendlygas wrote:Excellent points KitRobin and to be honest i had not looked up your history and it is pretty good to be honest and something you can be proud of but the point I was trying to make is really tied in to the Big Club thing and that when it comes down to it both the History and the Attendances mean nothing at all when looking at the current predicament. its all about the players on the field and the Manager NOW.
We are both where we are and the problem now is how to return to former glories....not really glories in the wider sense of the word but for us League 1 which at the moment seems as far away as the Premiership used to seem!!!
Good luck in all your games apart from when you play us!!! By the way, I pray that yesterday is the worst performance I see this season!!!!
Now now boys. Play nicely
There is one point i would like to bring out of this which affects all of our clubs guys. City are top of their league, have been so from near start of the season. Can't begrudge that. (well i could but it would be childish) having previously also supported the Gas. But what i have noticed is that Gates dont seem to have reflected that. In fact from what i can see the gates have fallen. last few i can see where around 11,000 to 12,000. can you think of a reason for that. I have looked up a web site which seems to indicate gates generaly falling all around the country with only clubs who are experiencing success going up or sustaining gates. except City. which surprises me. Rovers have not exactly been that terrific this season yet have risen to 2nd. but gates have risen. not sure what the average attendance is yet but would expect them to be comparable with last season. Our gates at Plainmoor have fallen. with relegation having obviously been a factor. do you worry about future attendances and the effect it will inevitably have on the game as a whole.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

To be fair to City their ground is in the process of being modernised and one end is shut down so there is a current limit of about 13,500 and several times at least they have sold out. As regards our crowds it has surprised me how good our crowds have been considering the circumstances and I did really think we would be lucky to get 4000 at most games until at least January and only then if we were fighting for promotion. Our away attendances have pretty well kept up as well.
As regards the failure to beat a team from Conference South who couldnt beat Bishop whoever they are who you beat 5-0 I think it is fair to say that Bath had slightly more to gain from beating us but as I have already said I can't make any excuses as we were awful...no we were worse than that.
Have to say that it has been fun visiting the Conference sides and it makes a refreshing change to be treated like humans at football unlike in the Football League however certainly don't want to stay around here too long!!!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

There seems to be some kudos amongst football fans about being a "bigger" club. Odd that IMHO. I much prefer to be the "smaller" club. For loads of reasons. One being it gets up the noses of the "bigger" clubs when once in a while you beat them, much more satisfaction in that!

Torquay is the right size for me, and its if you can look back on lots of memories (good or bad) and say yes, I've suffered, but also I've enjoyed it.

That's why being in the conference is no problem for me at all. Its change and a newish experience, albeit we have been there before.

So you can have your "bigger" club status,enjoy it, the pressure is on you then to beat us as you are expected too, because your bigger and with that is the expectation are also superior. In fact you should be with the extra income you have. :)
TUST MEMBER
Upthegas
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Lee mansell lol

Post by Upthegas »

Neal wrote:There seems to be some kudos amongst football fans about being a "bigger" club. Odd that IMHO. I much prefer to be the "smaller" club. For loads of reasons. One being it gets up the noses of the "bigger" clubs when once in a while you beat them, much more satisfaction in that!

Torquay is the right size for me, and its if you can look back on lots of memories (good or bad) and say yes, I've suffered, but also I've enjoyed it.

That's why being in the conference is no problem for me at all. Its change and a newish experience, albeit we have been there before.

So you can have your "bigger" club status,enjoy it, the pressure is on you then to beat us as you are expected too, because your bigger and with that is the expectation are also superior. In fact you should be with the extra income you have. :)
We are expected to beat you because we are 3rd and you're like 9th?
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Upthegas wrote:
We are expected to beat you because we are 3rd and you're like 9th?
6th,actually,a massive Four points behind you. At least two points ahead of you by January 2nd of course!