Fans Forum

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Did anyone actually believe anything Bill Phillips said in public?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

yes, most of the Academy parents.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Good on them for putting the video out so quickly, interesting watch. Dean Edwards is an excellent guy, knows the club and knows what he's doing that much is obvious and it's great that he's got a more full on role within it. He seems to me to be the real brains/driving force behind the group and that seems a good thing to me.

It still worries me slightly that I'm not sure we have a plan B if things don't go well this season, if our season is equally horrendous as last then the small crowds will return and I don't think we'll have the finance to cope, this was touched on in the forum and not really answered other than we'll deal with that if it comes. I think this is more likely than us doing 'well' this season. We don't have the players and we won't have the finance to attract a certain calibre of player, I feel we'll be shopping as Greavsie did last year with young lads and unproven guys who will go one way or the other.

However credit to this board for getting stuck in and saving the club, what I am happy to see is Phillips and the other cronies be hung out to dry for the useless clowns they were heavily reliant on Thea to bail them out of their awful decisions and mismanagement of the club.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I am feeling more confident. I was confident last season but hindsight has taught me the errors of my ways! I think Paul Cox should have the experience to be a little more discerning with the players he signs, making he sure he gets players with the right attitude.
If the current budget is based on attendances of 1800 then I would hope that even with a relatively poor season we should have a little extra money to play with in 12 months time (yes, I'm hoping for gates of at least 2000). I think with this new found honesty at board level and better communication we will at least see attendances stay as they were if not increase.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

If only we had had somebody on here in the know, who had been able to warn us that the old Board were useless and that Bill Phillips was about as useful as a knife and fork in space....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

The first story I remember that featured Phillips centred on him going down to the subs bench during a game and telling Buckle he had some terrible news for him. An obviously distraught Buckle was then told that he was playing an ineligible player, not quite as terrible as Buckle was imagining at the time...............

I'm just sorry that Thea is getting so much flak, she was unwittingly party to such ineptitude but I know exactly who was to blame for that. The writing was on the wall from the day Baker accompanied Buckle to Bristol and we never really recovered from that despite the best efforts of Martin Ling. Onwards and upwards now, they are no longer making amateurish decision after amateurish decision and hopefully we're in much better hands now.
Dave

Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Scott Brehaut wrote:If only we had had somebody on here in the know, who had been able to warn us that the old Board were useless and that Bill Phillips was about as useful as a knife and fork in space....

Without wishing to open an old argument (Although it appears I am going to) it's all very well saying 'I told you so' about bill Philips, but at the time NO One in the know was willing to actually give any examples of his incompetence.

Obviously they have been proved right in the long run. But what they were asking the rest of us to do was belive one stranger we've never met over another stranger we've never met. That left most of us sitting on the fence.

If they had any point come up with any examples akin to what has come up recently - no lease on Seale Hayne, lying to parents about the Academy, lying to new board about June's wages - then not only would we have been more supportive, but they may have brought about a groundswell of support AGAINST the previous administration which may have led to positive change get sooner.

Just my opinion, mind.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

watching the video - people are obsessed with players 'going over to the crowd', aren't they?

Also - somebody needs to tell me where I can get one of those Torquay United ties!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

happytorq wrote:watching the video - people are obsessed with players 'going over to the crowd', aren't they?
I know! I really do not think this is something which really merits much time - especially considering the other issues the club currently face!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Re; the above two, posts maybe we should ask tktufc91, as it was he, who asked that question :)

Added in 12 minutes 19 seconds:
I just congratulate everyone from the top table to the supporters who turned out a good numbers to support this event, I could not go, and normally would skip through the video, watched every minute of that, it seemed a very positive and good natured, at times humorous evening.

I think even the slowest fan now gets it, think we all know there's still a lot of hard work to be done, it's going to be a bumpy ride ahead, but, and I know a lot of TUFC fans, I do get a feeling, that goodwill and the feel good factor about the club is returning by the spade load, I'd be surprised if gates figures didn't rise back into the 2,200 mark at the very least next term, already know of a number of fans who were not going re-new there season tickets, who have or are going to.

Must admit being in the camp of people who didn't know, what Bill Phillips either did, or did not do for the cub, there were some (SG) (DP) who said all the way along he was no good, and bit by bit , the truth will out, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when our new vice-chairman has a chat, think that's going to get messy. :)

Think Steve Breed makes a very good point, it, is time to forget the past and look forward to the future, however, that will be hard, there's going times when a look back and the need to have dig will occur.

It is time to re-unite, and do every little bit we can as fans, for me, I can not justify having a season ticket, bit make the promise now, I will be at a lot more games next season than I was planning to be at, and would contribute to a player fund if and when that happens.
Formerly known as forevertufc
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

happytorq wrote:watching the video - people are obsessed with players 'going over to the crowd', aren't they?

Also - somebody needs to tell me where I can get one of those Torquay United ties!
Club shop mate, I considered it for graduation (being a graduate of Exeter and all)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Kit_robin wrote:
Without wishing to open an old argument (Although it appears I am going to) it's all very well saying 'I told you so' about bill Philips, but at the time NO One in the know was willing to actually give any examples of his incompetence.

Obviously they have been proved right in the long run. But what they were asking the rest of us to do was belive one stranger we've never met over another stranger we've never met. That left most of us sitting on the fence.

If they had any point come up with any examples akin to what has come up recently - no lease on Seale Hayne, lying to parents about the Academy, lying to new board about June's wages - then not only would we have been more supportive, but they may have brought about a groundswell of support AGAINST the previous administration which may have led to positive change get sooner.

Just my opinion, mind.

Yours is a good point but if someone asks me not to give specifics in case they are identified then I'll keep my word. One fan offered to foot the cost of a covered area for disabled fans but refused to adhere to the method of payment requested by a certain member of the board. There are several similar accounts but it was up to those people as to whether they wanted to make things public or not. The levels of incompetence were truly staggering but who was prepared to believe it at the time when it was pointed out? Very few. I'm just glad we now have them firmly away from the decision making process.
Dave

tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Quite a few people I stood with last season had the same feelings as me regarding some of the squad and CH not applauding the fans at the end of a poor result. It really annoyed me as a fan traveling long distances and supporting the team, only to not receive a token of appreciation from some of the squad and manager.

PC was first up taking questions at the time and I felt it was an appropriate question to ask him.

PC doesn't want it to be a case of us v them.

We are the lifeblood of the football club and he acknowledged that.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!