Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

taxilady wrote:because we've had such success with rookies before ?
Barring the very recent performance of Hargreaves, I would argue that some of our best seasons over the last two decades have been under the helm of rookie managers - Paul Buckle, Leroy Rosenior and Kevin Hodges.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

taxilady wrote:because we've had such success with rookies before ?
Buckle was a rookie.....so was Hodges......

Added in 2 minutes 24 seconds:
pinitgull wrote:I wish people would have a little foresite here with the next appointment, my view is this, managers in their mid 40s - 50s who may have 300-400 hundred appearances to their name will inevitably coach in a similar way to coaches that coached them previously 20 years before that, football has moved on, i wish we would implement a philosophy here based on the type of football that attracts fans, i am not naive enough to think that we will be capable of playing the Barcelona way, but Swindon do it on a shoe string budget, Bournemouth do it and have done for years, dare i say Exeter do it....I know when i part with 20 quid, i would like to be entertained
:goodpost:

I said a long time ago that we need a style of play that attracts fans to games. Nobody wants to watch long ball football for more than half a season.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Please shoot me down in flames but.....
Do you think Paul Cox will come back? He has delayed his reasons for 24 hours. Do you reckon Board/Breed have spoken to him now Edwards has left and there is money for him to have a contract?

Like I say though shoot me down in flames if I'm being stupid
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

pinitgull wrote:I wish people would have a little foresite here with the next appointment, my view is this, managers in their mid 40s - 50s who may have 300-400 hundred appearances to their name will inevitably coach in a similar way to coaches that coached them previously 20 years before that, football has moved on, i wish we would implement a philosophy here based on the type of football that attracts fans, i am not naive enough to think that we will be capable of playing the Barcelona way, but Swindon do it on a shoe string budget, Bournemouth do it and have done for years, dare i say Exeter do it....I know when i part with 20 quid, i would like to be entertained

I said a long time ago that we need a style of play that attracts fans to games. Nobody wants to watch long ball football for more than half a season.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
pinitgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by pinitgull »

Luke Williams - Swindon Town 1st Team coach or someone of the like with a similar philosophy
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

IanGull01 wrote:Please shoot me down in flames but.....
Do you think Paul Cox will come back? He has delayed his reasons for 24 hours. Do you reckon Board/Breed have spoken to him now Edwards has left and there is money for him to have a contract?

I am not certain this will happen, but I don't think it is entirely outrageous given the events that have happened over the last few days
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Burnhamgull you're repeating yourself. :(

Added in 2 minutes 21 seconds:
leetufc wrote: I am not certain this will happen, but I don't think it is entirely outrageous given the events that have happened over the last few days
Or even Chris Hargreaves.. :)
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Gullscorer wrote:Burnhamgull you're repeating yourself. :(

I felt my point was so good, it needed saying twice..... :lol:

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

IanGull01 wrote:Please shoot me down in flames but.....

It's not beyond the realms of possibility/probability......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

leetufc wrote: Barring the very recent performance of Hargreaves, I would argue that some of our best seasons over the last two decades have been under the helm of rookie managers - Paul Buckle, Leroy Rosenior and Kevin Hodges.
I said this before Cox was appointed? Or was it Hargreaves? Or Knill? Anyway, people keep going on about experience but every single 'experienced' manager we could possibly hope to employ has failure on their CV, is carry lots of baggage or a combination of the two. Our best times over the last 20 (getting on for 30) years has come with rookie, inexperienced managers.

pinitgull wrote:Luke Williams - Swindon Town 1st Team coach or someone of the like with a similar philosophy

Added in 2 minutes 51 seconds:
I think we should ideally be looking for a younger manager local to the South-West or who is will to relocate to the area immediately. If not Tully then another young manager, playing half decent football somewhere around us (geographically) and below us (in the pyramid).
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

For me it would be these qualities:

1 Local to area
2 Has been a football manager in the South West to a reasonable level
3 Has good people management skills.
4 Confident and Motivated
5 Has been successful relevant to the average playing budget in the league they play in. This is the important one. Someone who has batted above their weight.
6 Will accept a 1 year deal - NOT A ROLLING CONTRACT
TUST MEMBER
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I would suggest a one year deal with a guaranteed second year if certain specified performance targets are met.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

we need smeone who has experience and contacts, people like tully and nicholson are are a no no as far as im concerned, spotlight were on about nico being in the frame, sorry but nothing against nico but we need a manager who can get us out of this mess and im afraid nico or tully would just take us further down the pan at this present time.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Jerry wrote:I would suggest a one year deal with a guaranteed second year if certain specified performance targets are met.
i.e. staying in the National League!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:we need smeone who has experience and contacts, people like tully and nicholson are are a no no as far as im concerned, spotlight were on about nico being in the frame, sorry but nothing against nico but we need a manager who can get us out of this mess and im afraid nico or tully would just take us further down the pan at this present time.
What's the point? It's all very well having the contacts to bring all these superstar players to Plainmoor but if you can't gel them in to a team and get them to perform then what is the point?
I would rather see a local manager bringing in the best players from the local non-league and gelling them in to a team that can punch above their weight and provide us with some entertainment. Better that than a bunch of primadonnas getting homesick after five minutes and sulking their way through a two year contract.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084