Latest Film You've Seen

General chat about anything else goes here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Saw Noah last week. Glad I didn't go ro watch it in Exeter. The film was cancelled because the cinema was flooded. You really couldn;t make it up :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

The Amazing Spiderman 2 - Well it was toss up yesterday (Good Friday) between watching our brave warriors in yellow and blue ( and white :Z ) unluckily and narrowly go down to another defeat despite their superior efforts, or go to the cinema with wife and son to watch the newly released super hero film which myself and the lad had been wildly anticipating for a while.

A choice between being fleeced for an over priced admission fee which is far too much to pay for the fare on offer, spend 2 hours to get p!ssed off, annoyed and frustrated, to not be entertained and then it reaches a conclusion that I really dont want come the end, or spend some time with the family, pay an even more over priced, rip off admission fee but actually be entertained and leave happy and contented 2 1/2 hours later, also keeping my son happy and stopping the missus moaning for a couple of hours. :|

So yeah, guess what, sorry to say it my fellow Gulls fans I chose the cinema over the football, my Plainmoor idols took a back seat, my beloved Torquay United is no longer top priority over other forms of weekend afternoon entertainment. :no:

Anyway, the film is bloody awesome, loads of thrills, spills and entertainment, good story, bit twisty, lulled a bit a few times but that was weaving the story, my lad reckons it is the best of all the collection of marvel superhero films there has been in these last 13 years. I wouldnt go that far, but it was bloody good. :-D

I really liked the first 3 Spiderman films with Toby Macguire and many criticised the fact these new ones came too soon after, but they are a totally different take on the stories and are actually better. The lead role Andrew Garfield is exactly how Spiderman should be, he is so much like the proper comic book Spiderman it is scary, I loved the first film and this was even better, they nailed the Green Goblin perfectly this time also. If you are bored this long Easter weekend go and see Amazing Spiderman 2, or like a thread on the other forum said boycott the Exeter match and go and watch this film instead! 9.5/10 :clap:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

X Men: Days Of Futures Past. - All I can say is, Awesome, Brilliant, Fantastic, Amazing, loves it. 9/10 :-D :-D
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Fast and Furious 6 - Great action film, unusual to have so many decent sequels - The Rock and Vin Diesel, what more do you want. Looks like The Rock has taught Vin a few moves. 8/10

Oblivion - Yet another Tom Cruise film, he does seem to make quite a few, only trouble is a few of them now are seeming to be quite similar or have nicked too many bits from his or other peoples films. Love him or hate him he is top A list, he has made some great films and is good at what he does, but as for this one - Sorry Tom, but f**k off. This film is almost as bad and almost as difficult to get through as Cloud atlas
I had to watch it in a few sittings. They are the only 2 films I have ever had to google and have a few things clarified for me. Its a bit like how it used to be when you watched Pulp Fiction with a group of females and they all looked puzzled and all kept asking "whats going on, whats this about", well this time I didnt have a clue, not because it was clever, but because it was shit. Also what the hell was a class act like Morgan Freeman thinking of, making a pile of crap like this.

If you go to Google and type - explain c or explain ob, both of these films come in quickly as the most popular searches way before you finish typing the whole sentence. Says it all really. 3/10

The To Do List - A bit of an American Pie type of thing but from a girl perspective. Quite filthy in places, but funny, although you dont really see anything, its the dialogue mainly. Definitely not one to watch with kids. I was watching it downstairs, then next day I found out my 12 1/2 year old lad was watching it in his room. Of course, I was more embarrassed than him, and he declared its only how he and all his mates talk at school anyway, and the girls are worse. :-o 7/10

White House Down - Typical bloody yanks! Only they could make a film like this! However, it is quite good entertainment, full of action, a tiny bit twisty, has a good cast and is very watchable, I did enjoy it. It shouldnt work, it should be sh1t, but it isnt, it is good. 8/10

Kick Ass 1+2 - I sort of half watched Kick Ass before but didnt really take it in, my lad kept on about wanting to see it and the 2nd one was on Sky so I got it for a quid, yes a quid on Play.com. We watched them one after the other and although they are daft, they are quite unusual and entertaining if you like that sort of thing. 7/10
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

The Wolverine - Probably should have watched this before X Men Days Of Future Past, but as long as you know about The X Men or who Wolverine is, it doesnt really matter, apart from the end it has no real bearing on the X Men plots or continuity, it is just a a separate aside story about Wolverine.

It is alright, not great, but the character has plenty of mileage and scope. 6.5/10

Elysium - What is it about films set in the future and we are all totally screwed and doomed. Yet another film set on an apocolyptic Earth. Surely the things we are learning and the technology we are inventing should help our lives, so why the obsession that we will be a ruined, poor, desparate, destitute race.

The films okay, a bit long, a bit flat in places and a bit predictable. 6/10
Last edited by chunkygull on 27 Jun 2014, 23:06, edited 2 times in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I saw these last year and thought they were pretty good:

[youtube]zRiw1nMTUuU[/youtube]
[youtube]qqp1QFbZS70[/youtube]

Two good films coming in the near future:

[youtube]_WK4qvJraUk[/youtube]
[youtube]jv3MFjtO4RI[/youtube]
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

A Good Die to die hard - For f**ks sake Bruce, give it a bloody rest now will ya.
Loved the first one - Liked the second one - Really liked the third one - The fourth one was okay - This one, the fifth one? BRUCE! What the bloody hell were you thinking. Why Bruce, why? Its time to give it up man.

Synopsis/review/cast/summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606378/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This film was a poor relation to a good series of films, the character a poor imitation of his former self, it was just a bit slow, flat, boring, unnecessary and just didnt fit. There were a few little flashes of banter between Mclane and his son, but other than that, yawn.

Time to hang up the white vest Bruce. 5/10

In Security. - Well it says its a comedy, there are a few light titter moments but thats about it. There are brief appearances from Vinnie Jones, Alan Arkin and Ving Rhames, other than that the only person I had heard of is Cary Elwes who was in The Princess Bride, Dracula and a few dodgy comedies in the 90's such as Robin Hood:Men In tights and Hot Shots, as well as the brilliant Liar Liar.

Synopsis/review/cast/summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2081274/?ref_=nv_sr_3

The story is about a struggling security system company who are based in a quiet, very safe, crime free town. To save the business, clear some debt and attract customers they decide to start robbing houses in the neighbourhood, therefore scaring people and prompting them into buying a new security system, but of corse things dont always go to plan. This film could have been very good and funny, but just falls short, a comedy it aint, you might enjoy it you might not. 6/10
Last edited by chunkygull on 27 Jun 2014, 23:03, edited 3 times in total.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

W'ere The Millers - Well, I really enjoyed this, made me laugh right from the start. Quite a clever story and a good cast. Like most comedies the pace drops a bit from the middle onwards and the film does become a little bit predictable near the end, possibly a little bit too warm and schmaltzy, but I still really liked it.

Synopsis/review/cast/summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1723121/

Although a little bit crude at times there is some funny dialogue and funny moments. Jennifer Aniston has still got it, in some ways she is looking better than ever. Cant believe Brad Pitt went off with Angelina Jolie and dumped Jen. Angelina must be especially filthy or something.

Anyway, well worth a watch. Look out for the out-takes at the end. :~D 8.5/10
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

chunkygull wrote:
Time to hang up the white vest Bruce. 5/10

NOOOOOOOOOOO....phwoar
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh Jane... Your taste in men.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Ah, come on Matt, if you woke up in the morning looking like BigBruce, you wouldn't mind...

Anyway, one film I really want to see is Sunshine on Leith - anyone seen it yet?
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

westbaygull wrote:Ah, come on Matt, if you woke up in the morning looking like BigBruce, you wouldn't mind...

Anyway, one film I really want to see is Sunshine on Leith - anyone seen it yet?

Its starting on sky movies next Friday so will give it a watch then. :)
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

The Way,Way Back - I really didnt think I would like this. I had never heard of it and it looked like one of those arty farty indie things that get put straight to dvd and sky. I was wrong, I really liked it, it entertained me immensely. One word I could use for it is subtle - subtle story, subtle drama, subtle humour, subtle characters. A good film to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon when you cant be bothered to do much.

The story is a slight coming of age, awkward teenager kind of thing. The lead character has to deal with being a bit socially awkward, his parents divorce and to top it all his mums complete pr1ck boyfriend.

A strong cast including an out of character Steve Carrell and a sublime Sam rockwell. A lot of thought provoking subtle enjoyment with great banter and dialogue. 8/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727388/

Dredd + Judge Dredd - Well, I watched the newer film Dredd first and was a bit disappointed, it was loaded with action and gore but it lagged a bit in places and was quite predictible. Seen it all before. 6/10
Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I realised later I had never actually watched all the way through Sylvester Stallones much criticised 90's version of the character, this is highly unusual with me being a big fan of Stallone when I was younger and can profess to have seen the best bits of Rocky 2 at least 300 times and likewise with Rocky 3 at least 200 times. Anyway its not great, a bit of a light story, Stallone wearing tight leggings and flexing his muscles, but it is probably a bit more like the comic 2000AD from what I remember. However I do remember one reason it was heavily criticised when it came out was the fact that Judge Dredd/Stallone removes his helmet for much of the film and that sent all the 2000AD fanboys out of their minds because Dredd would never do that. 6.5/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113492/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Heat - Quite funny buddy cop movie, the difference is it is two females. A simple story, some good dialogue. Good casting with a still okay Sandra Bullock, although it wont be too much longer until she is on the Borderline Boiler thread. Rising star Melissa McCarthy is the 2nd lead and although she started off playing nicey nicey chubby likeable charcters in tv series like The Gilmore Girls and Mike and Molly she seems to have found her niche and cornered the market in playing the role of the fat, foul mouthed, loutish, laddish, drinking, smoking, tatooed, easy lay kind of bird. Which she seems to play well and quite often. Worst thing is she reminds me of a quite few women I have ended up with after a skinful on a Saturday night, but thats another story. 8/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404463/?ref_=nv_sr_1

About Time - I thought another time travel thing would be unwanted, I thought again this was like some arty farty indie thing that gets put straight to dvd and sky, I thought us Brits didnt make films like this very well - I was wrong! Again!

Written and directed by Richard 'Four Weddings, Notting Hill, Love Actually' Curtis this is a time travel film with a twist, its a bit funny, a bit romantic, very likable and great cast. I didnt think I would like it, I didnt want to watch it, but I'm very glad I did. I am not ashamed to say that right near the end I cried like a girl. Watch it and I bet you will too. 8.5/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa - I used to quite like the madcap antics, stunts and hidden camera pranks of Johnny Knoxville and the Jackass crew, some of the original ideas and outrageous sh1t they used to come up with whilst nearly killing each other and humiliating the general public were a Friday night beered up staple. Things got a little bit stale and all a just too much of the same, especially when the series managed to then evolve and squeeze out 3 films.

So, Johnny knoxville is back and the twist is, instead of being just a reality show this is an actual film with a storyline and the general public are lured into being unwitting co-stars. Knoxville is brilliant, still coming up with original scenarios and stunts, also the make up for his Grandpa character is superb. However the real star is the young boy plaing the 8 year old Grandson. Some flattish gags but mostly real laugh out loud moments, 2 in particular I was crying with laughter and nearly soiled myself. No really! 9/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3063516/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - What a fantastic Saturday afternoons entertainment!

A bit different to the old Roddy McDowell films.

A great sequel, a great chapter in a continuing saga (the next one is already in production), brilliantly entertaining, thought provoking, emotional, exciting, intelligent, in a word AWESOME! :) :-D :clap: :bow:

I didnt want it to end.Cant wait for more.

FILM OF THE YEAR! 9.5/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103281/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is on channel 4 tonight if you get the chance watch it because that is brilliant also, then watch its sequel at the cinema, you wont be disappointed.

Just to say I watched this at Central cinema Torquay. They have put their prices up a bit, but it was still cheaper for me to drive to Torquay to watch a film than to walk down the seafront to The Vue/Apollo.
Last edited by chunkygull on 25 Jul 2014, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

chunkygull wrote:The Way,Way Back -
So, Johnny knoxville is back and the twist is, instead of being just a reality show this is an actual film with a storyline and the general public are lured into being unwitting co-stars. Knoxville is brilliant, still coming up with original scenarios and stunts, also the make up for his Grandpa character is superb. However the real star is the young boy plaing the 8 year old Grandson. Some flattish gags but mostly real laugh out loud moments, 2 in particular I was crying with laughter and nearly soiled myself. No really! 9/10

Synopsis/Cast/Review/Summary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3063516/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I know exactly what you mean.