Torquay vs Wimbledon 1/1/13 15:00 (new years day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I said I wouldn't post again for a while but I felt I had to, after todays debacle.

I've been fighting this case a while now which I believe fell on deaf ears, but I today had it confirmed to me what I and quite a few others expected/know - we haven't got any money and we are making losses. The attendances are the biggest problem - the board budgeted for a 2.8/3k average, but we're well below that. It is quite alarming to hear that we're struggling financially, and as we know the board take the FA Cup exit to be a complete and utter disaster, going out in the fashion we did.

Onto the pitch today, firstly, I was surprised to see Mansell start after his holey-knee the other day. Still, I expected the rest of the team, so no real surprises. Until we didn't actually turn up. We were terrible. AFCW weren't much better (I actually put that at the same level as Harrogate), so to lose really is demoralising, especially in the way we did.

A few points; so all those clamouring for the change in formation a while ago, do you still believe it works now? We've dropped 6 points in the last 4 games just from conceding in the final 5 minutes (1 point dropped at Bradford & today, 2 dropped at Argyle & Northampton), which is pretty frightful reading. I would love to see us return to the 4-5-1 set up at Burton in 10 days time. Bring Lathrope back into the fold, put Craig in the middle with Mansell/Easton, then two wingers supporting Rene. I don't think this formation-changing exercise has worked at all as we can't now see a game out, something we prided ourselves on last season. Some will disagree, I'm sure, but neither Craig or Lathrope are disciplined/experienced enough to be part of a 2-man midfield pairing, which is why I think Lingy stuck Craig out wide, where I would be more effective than he was. It was the right decision, I think, so all you 'supporters' who started shouting 'you don't know what you're doing' at Ling were wide of the mark (was this the same group who spent 90 minutes spouting absolute nonsense about 'going back to school' or whatever? - really supportive, that).

The pitch is an absolute state, though it wasn't very much needed today with 95% of it being up in the air.

What I have finally come to realise though, is that we are a team of very average players. Realistically, which of our squad would get into the teams above us? Howe? Probably. Craig? Perhaps. Saah & Downes? Maybe. Then you're struggling. We are very average with one/two above that level, and another couple with potential to be. We are nowhere near the starting XI we had last year, which was bound to happen when you lose 3 key players as we did.

All in all, a very, very disappointing day and start to a new year - I wouldn't expect any signings this month because we don't have a pot to piss in, so unless anyone leaves, I think we'll be sticking it out and hoping to pick up the 6 wins needed to get past the 50 point mark (which, on recent showings, could take a long time).
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

As others have said, there are a couple of nil cost changes that seem likely to help matters.

Bring Lathrope back for Easton.
Play Craig in the middle.

With Saah to return, and if we retain Rene, we have enough to avoid a relegation battle.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

NickGull wrote:

A few points; so all those clamouring for the change in formation a while ago, do you still believe it works now? We've dropped 6 points in the last 4 games just from conceding in the final 5 minutes (1 point dropped at Bradford & today, 2 dropped at Argyle & Northampton), which is pretty frightful reading. I would love to see us return to the 4-5-1 set up at Burton in 10 days time. Bring Lathrope back into the fold, put Craig in the middle with Mansell/Easton, then two wingers supporting Rene. I don't think this formation-changing exercise has worked at all as we can't now see a game out, something we prided ourselves on last season. Some will disagree, I'm sure, but neither Craig or Lathrope are disciplined/experienced enough to be part of a 2-man midfield pairing
This is absolutely bang on the money.

Ling caved in to those fans demanding we were more "attacking" and the results have dipped accordingly! We couldn't have been more "attacking" in the second half today, Yeoman went up top with Rene and Halpin and Thompson pushed right up the pitch in a 4-2-4 formation, worked a treat didn't it!

Time to go back to what works, whether it is deemed "attacking" enough or not. Get the points we need to stay clear of a relegation fight, that's what is important at this stage.
cidergull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: eunan okane

Post by cidergull »

It was indeed pretty dire on the eye today but I feel some expectations may have risen too high with our successes of the past few years. Looking at the positives, in years past when players have been injured/suspended they have been replaced by cheap no hopers from God knows where. Today these holes were filled by some of the talent produced by the youth scheme who all acquitted themselves well with a special mention to Ashley Yeomans
If you listen to Martin Lings after match interview money is tight, as you would expect from an organistion that has spent a great deal of its turnover on a genuine effort to improve the infrastructure of the Club for the team and the supporters, thereby improving its prospects.
The fan who suggested to Ling that he should "eff off to Plymouth" should remember there is only so much abuse honest men working within constraints can take before they finally do f*** off and that may well apply to some of the other honest men within the Club.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Modgull wrote:First observation involves the pitch. It seems clear now that the construction of the Bench has seriously affected the drainage of that side of the pitch and today it looked and played as badly as those pitches in days gone by when reserve matches were also played on them - it must now be among the worst pitches in the football league.

It's evidently got nothing to do with the days and days of rain we've had then.....
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

The most positive thing to come out of day was Jamie Cureton being sent off and so being suspended for our re-arranged home game with Exeter City. With hopefully Saah and Downes back together we may scrape a 0-0 draw ;-)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oi, Stef, get your own bloody jokes. I said that when it happened!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

My first appearance since the Southend debacle and on that truly inept performance its likely to be my last this season.
After Lings aftermatch interview he seems as clueless as the players.
It was a terrible pitch and a terrible game against (as has already been said) possibly the worst pro side in Wimbledon that I have ever seen. The fact that they were better than us says it all really. Far from being a play off side we will be lucky to accumalate another ten points all season on that showing.
I am lost by Lings tactics - one up front against the worst team in the league missing both their first choice centre halves.
Stevens is clueless and might as well be paid off now. Craig is no more a winger than I am.
Whatever else a team including Yeoman,Halpin,Thompson,Lathrope,Easton and Gus MacDonkey is just not good enough and isn't going to get us any points.
The only mitigating factor is the injuries that we have at present but even that is a half hearted excuse really.
Dreadful.
foz
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nico

Post by foz »

I heard a fan telling Lingy that we needed to play down the right hand side of the pitch in the second half because the pitch infront of the dug outs was like a paddy field. The fan suggested that the goal kicks should be taken from the right side instead of taking all kicks from the left. Ling replield you never said this when we were 5th last season, and told the fan to get back in the stand where he belonged.
I think Lingy missed the point, that the pitch was almost unplayable in front of the dug out and playing down the right would have helped
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Football today was awful. In fact the last few games I have seen have been awful. I also think Martin Ling is in danger of alienating himself from fans in the way Paul Buckle did.

He suggests that the club are doing the same things they did last year when they finished 5th. But they are not. The formation is different so why are they doing the same things in training? It has blatantly not been working for a while now. So why are they doing the same things on training? Perhaps it is about time they started to try something different.

Ling using the 'Bucklesque' excuse of how small we are...that might wash when you are playing Bradford at Valley Parade but not Wimbledon at home. His reaction to some of the stick he is starting to get seems a bit like when you read of his time at Cambridge and he needs to rise above it because like it or not, that is part of what being a manager is. When you churn out crap like that, week in, week out, you are not going to be awash with compliments. Most of us today would have paid at least £20 to watch that game and associated merchandise e.g. Programme. That would buy you a very nice meal in some places or pay for two or three people to watch a good film. Don't deny supporters a voice and an opinion and expect them to applaud an inept display off the pitch. And once you lose your fan base there is really no way back, players tweeting on twitter and managers moaning on the radio...in the end it all goes pear shaped when the relationship with fans breaks down.

We have players to come back but new blood is needed, even if on loan. The answer does NOT lie within the current group of players. Felt sorry for Downes, as he has been excellent and we miss Saah, despite how well MacDonald has played. If anything our fullbacks have been poor lately and midfield woeful. Not sure why Lathrope is not getting a look in but I think we looked tighter defensively when he played in front of the defence and like a couple of posters have pointed out, I think the formation we played last season was more effective than whatever is going on now.

So Martin Ling can suggest that there is nothing to get players in but the longer these results go on the smaller the crowds will shrink and there will be even less for him to have. Macclesfield were 12 points ahead of the bottom two at this stage last year and they went down. We are only 11points clear. The play-offs are an unrealistic aim at the moment. We need to aim for that 50pt safety marker ASAP
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Modgull wrote:First observation involves the pitch. It seems clear now that the construction of the Bench has seriously affected the drainage of that side of the pitch and today it looked and played as badly as those pitches in days gone by when reserve matches were also played on them - it must now be among the worst pitches in the football league.
dannyrvtufc4life wrote: It's evidently got nothing to do with the days and days of rain we've had then.....
quite right danny, some people lack the use of a brain on here! that side of the pitch has always caused problems
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

brucie wrote:My first appearance since the Southend debacle and on that truly inept performance its likely to be my last this season.
After Lings aftermatch interview he seems as clueless as the players.
It was a terrible pitch and a terrible game against (as has already been said) possibly the worst pro side in Wimbledon that I have ever seen. The fact that they were better than us says it all really. Far from being a play off side we will be lucky to accumalate another ten points all season on that showing.
I am lost by Lings tactics - one up front against the worst team in the league missing both their first choice centre halves.
Stevens is clueless and might as well be paid off now. Craig is no more a winger than I am.
Whatever else a team including Yeoman,Halpin,Thompson,Lathrope,Easton and Gus MacDonkey is just not good enough and isn't going to get us any points.
The only mitigating factor is the injuries that we have at present but even that is a half hearted excuse really.
Dreadful.
yay no more brucie for the season

That is right for a change

how is Gus a donkey? he has been immense in the 3 games he has played WHICH YOU HAVENT WATCHED
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Not again!!!! another last minute/injury time goal conceded. Looks like survival first by getting to 50 plus points this season. It didn't sound good from our point of view against one of the worst teams in the league or are we regressing back to the bad old days of giving charity points to anyone who comes to Plainmoor? Play offs would be a delusion too far as we are not good enough. Still, it's not as though we are down there at the bottom YET!!! :@
Oblivion!!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

NickGull wrote:
I've been fighting this case a while now which I believe fell on deaf ears, but I today had it confirmed to me what I and quite a few others expected/know - we haven't got any money and we are making losses. The attendances are the biggest problem - the board budgeted for a 2.8/3k average, but we're well below that. It is quite alarming to hear that we're struggling financially, and as we know the board take the FA Cup exit to be a complete and utter disaster, going out in the fashion we did.

All in all, a very, very disappointing day and start to a new year - I wouldn't expect any signings this month because we don't have a pot to piss in, so unless anyone leaves, I think we'll be sticking it out and hoping to pick up the 6 wins needed to get past the 50 point mark (which, on recent showings, could take a long time).
Not doubting what your saying Nick, but confirmed by who ? Our current ave gate is around just over 2600 a 4900 crowd against City would put our ave up to 2800, add in Bristol Rovers and well supported clubs like Oxford and Port Vale coupled with the normal end of season surge in attendances we are not going to be to far away from that come
the seasons end.

If we have not got a pot to piss in, how did we manage to secure the loan signing of Angus McDonald, and if there is going to be no new signings why did Martin Ling not 4 days ago say he would be looking for a striker in January, some thing does not add up here.

If the board budgeted against the F.A cup and achieving a plus 3000 gate average, then they in my opinion would have the collective mind of a mad man.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'm fed up too. It's knowing that when you get to Plainmoor you're in for another afternoon of boring, tedious, ineptitude. As Brucie (with whom I usually agree) says 'why bother to go - I won't be going' - and I feel the same. No wonder the crowds are falling away to a disastrous level. The game yesterday was the worst since the Harrogate match. It was clear that Wimbledon would shut up shop for the second half, and they did exactly that; lobbing high balls down the middle for 45 minutes wasn't the way to break their defence down. Thank God that the next games are midweek evening ones. I won't make a hundred mile round trip in the cold, rain and dark to see the rubbish served up at Plainmoor.
And while we're on the subject of rubbish being served up at Plainmoor: Myself and eight other friends organised a so-called meal in the upper so-called restaurant at Plainmoor. For £15 one was offered cold food, semi-cooked vegetables and meat which tasted of nothing. Never again. The bread roll was ok though.
There's no doubt that things are on the slide. Attendances won't rise until the quality of football improves: that's not up to me, but it seems apparent that my doubts are shared by other contributors. The word 'professional' (or lack of such) appears in other postings; perhaps that's the keyword here.