Bristol Rovers v Torquay United - 12/4/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

nickbrod wrote:Great win and full marks to CH for his tactics and team selection. He's had a really tough time as our manager with so many 'experts' on here telling him how to do it but he came good today because he had a team who played for him.
Great credit to Cameron, Coulthirst and Goodwin up front who showed their quality. Also Cargill at left back had a great Football League debut - let's sign him on a season long loan for next season.
Two fantastic goals from Coulthirst and surprise, surprise Mansell gives hope for the great escape!
No matter which league we are in next season CH will do the job!
Nobody is proclaiming to be an 'expert' Nick. Simply by being thrust into the most desperate of desperate situations and then deciding to continue with the same old stuff that has been proven not to work is suicide. Most were suggesting a change to a less risk averse and more 'gung ho' line up which may help us score more than a couple of goals a month. You don't have to be an expert to see that something isn't working and then try to change it. Once those changes have been implemented and we STILL haven't done any better then everyone can hold their hands up and accept the situation. Chris appeared to accept the situation a while back whilst we still had more than enough time to get out of it.

I'm glad to see we did ok at Rovers and that Chris actually decided to start with Shaq and a more attacking mindset. Whether this was the deciding factor in us winning the game I don't know as I wasn't there but we scored twice and put in a better performance so I'd assume it helped. It's far too late though and that's the tragedy.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote: Nobody is proclaiming to be an 'expert' Nick. Simply by being thrust into the most desperate of desperate situations and then deciding to continue with the same old stuff that has been proven not to work is suicide. Most were suggesting a change to a less risk averse and more 'gung ho' line up which may help us score more than a couple of goals a month. You don't have to be an expert to see that something isn't working and then try to change it. Once those changes have been implemented and we STILL haven't done any better then everyone can hold their hands up and accept the situation. Chris appeared to accept the situation a while back whilst we still had more than enough time to get out of it.

I'm glad to see we did ok at Rovers and that Chris actually decided to start with Shaq and a more attacking mindset. Whether this was the deciding factor in us winning the game I don't know as I wasn't there but we scored twice and put in a better performance so I'd assume it helped. It's far too late though and that's the tragedy.
:goodpost:

Well said Anthea - CH has hardly become a master tactician just because he "managed" to win a game that could have secured our relegation.

As I have said on a previous thread "One swallow does not a summer make"
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

As a manager/coach of many years I stand by my opinions. Hargreaves has tried his best,
With those available to him, to play attacking football, it's not his fault players he inherited are not what he wants. He's tried his best to bring in better quality, Coulthirst is certainly what we've been missing and he's a star in the making. Cargill is another.
Oh yes there are plenty on here who believe they are football experts.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Nick, it is good to hear the opinions of people like yourself who have had first hand experience of managing football teams and although I personally haven't I do still feel that much of the problems some fans have with him is his inability during games to seemingly act appropriately when needed. I don't feel that such actions actually require any great degree of management experience but rather more conviction and confidence in the individual if you see what I'm getting at?

Secondary to this the formation and team selections when proven over many games to be totally ineffective don't seem to alter a great deal. Perhaps in terms of selection I am being a bit too critical as he only has a certain number of players at his disposal at any one time and they pretty much are all dire footballers but he should then be taking a risk with the formation and trying out things to see if they bear fruit.

For example at Hartlepool he opted for the same sort of formation and player selection that had failed to impress at home to Accy and Northampton and the game reached a similar conclusion which was a dire, predictable loss. It was driving back from Hartlepool that I accepted relegation in my head because I knew that CH would not take any risks with formation and tactics and so the law of averages would see us turn in the same sorts of performances and perhaps churn out the odd win or two.

At York we went a goal down early on and we all knew that was that because he failed to seize the opportunity and was content to see the game out at 1-0. There were no dramatic shifts in formation or personnel when it was required that night and a game we could have got something from petered out to another loss. Each minute of each game mattered and with 5 minutes to go for example at York I expected more, a hell of a lot more to try and get us a point. Not from the players, I knew they weren't up to it but from the leader of our team. I expected the scruff to be well and truly grabbed, subs brought on in good time, a reshuffle in terms of formation and orders to get the **** thing up their end and press it. CH has had more than enough of an opportunity to show his cards and put them on the table. I don't mean by criticising players in public and making them scapegoats but by simply letting his decisions do the talking.

By approaching each game in a similar manner we will win the odd one and lose most. Whether that be Knill, Hargreaves, Harrop or whoever. This is what has happened.

He has done nothing different to what Knill was doing and given we have a squad of players seemingly unable to be lifted by a new manager then drastic changes elsewhere were needed and quick. It was a travesty that CH let games just float on by when more points could have been gained by sticking his neck out. If he had gone 2 at the back in the last 15 at York for example then nothing but praise would have come his way. For all the fans who had trudged up to North Yorkshire that Tuesday evening, such a courageous never say die approach to getting a point would have been really well received even if they had gone up the other end and finished us off. Surely CH wanted to get something from the game AT ALL COSTS.

That is the key phrase. AT ALL COSTS.

I have seen absolutely nothing from CH in his decision making aptitude that proves to me that he has the grit and maverick nature to try anything when it is most needed to get an advantage. That means that next season I am struggling to show any anticipation for the journey ahead. I am surprisingly excited about next season and going to loads of different places and chatting to loads of different sets of fans. My excitement though is tempered because I am underwhelemed by what CH has done even given his inexperience and like I said on another post, he is a club legend and I want him to remain that way so I think it would be best all round if a new manager was somehow appointed.

Many of you after the event queried as to why Knill 'deserved' the chance to manage us on the basis that he had kept us up whilst at the same time showing us nothing positive that we could take into the new season. Maybe we should all start the season wide awake and also query why Hargreaves 'deserves' the chance to manage us given he too has shown us less encouragement than Alan Knill as to his managerial potential whilst at the same time taking us down when he had ample opportunity to at least make a fist of keeping us up.

So I don't doubt he has tried his best with what he has been given and as we all know, this set of players is the gift that keeps on giving but all we can go on is what we have seen about CH these past 4 months and IMO it's not good, not good at all. By all means give him a chance but please bear in mind the consequences of failure next season as well as the potential for happy, fluid football and a winning team. We don't know what we will end up getting.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

nickbrod wrote:As a manager/coach of many years I stand by my opinions. Hargreaves has tried his best, With those available to him, to play attacking football, it's not his fault players he inherited are not what he wants. He's tried his best to bring in better quality, Coulthirst is certainly what we've been missing and he's a star in the making. Cargill is another.
Oh yes there are plenty on here who believe they are football experts.
i am and have been too.
and i totally diasgree with you.
CH has no idea.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468