Fleetwood Town v Torquay United - 7/9/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Knill's results from last year cannot possibly be held against him. If you (anyone) don't understand why, then you're too stupid to understand any explanation I could offer.

We did win, we beat Northampton and beat them well, but that too is being held against us by those shooting for the manager. The point I'm making is that it doesn't matter whether we win, lose or draw, people are picking the inevitable negatives and propelling them forward while ignoring the positives. It's like having a board full of Brucies!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

ferrarilover wrote:Knill's results from last year cannot possibly be held against him. If you (anyone) don't understand why, then you're too stupid to understand any explanation I could offer.

We did win, we beat Northampton and beat them well, but that too is being held against us by those shooting for the manager. The point I'm making is that it doesn't matter whether we win, lose or draw, people are picking the inevitable negatives and propelling them forward while ignoring the positives. It's like having a board full of Brucies!

Matt.
Im assuming you have never posted an opinion that might come across as negative to anybody else then :)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote:Knill's results from last year cannot possibly be held against him. If you (anyone) don't understand why, then you're too stupid to understand any explanation I could offer.

Matt.
I'm not taking into account last season, as mentioned elsewhere - last years were used because I had them basically.

Taking those away, his record is still crap - the point I'M making is that I don't think he is a good manager at all, and I've said that since he came in.
Also note that when we beat Northampton I didn't slag off Knill - I didn't run around praising him either, but I'm happy if we win.
I just don't think we are gong to win many.

Mozika may be his saving grace.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Lets be fair and remove all of the results he has had under Torquay.

His record is still poor save for a spell with Bury.

Even the much maligned Ling had a better win to lose ratio with Cambridge, and he was, allegedly, crap there....

STIP
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote: We did win, we beat Northampton and beat them well, but that too is being held against us by those shooting for the manager. The point I'm making is that it doesn't matter whether we win, lose or draw, people are picking the inevitable negatives and propelling them forward while ignoring the positives. It's like having a board full of Brucies!

Matt.
We beat them well in the second half. They tore us to shreds in the first, and should've been 3-0 up.

I know you like to rewrite history to support your one-man crusades, but let's try to be accurate, shall we?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Simple fact Ling's team under Ling was in the play offs in the first year and then almost in the play offs last year. Ling's win ration was far better than Knill's. This is Knill's team and you can bang on about time needed to gel but a lot of teams have been rebuilt and are doing far better. I don't want him out as it's too early but I don't think he is good enough and never thought he was.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

just seen the goals on sky sports news. all of them were poor to be fair.

1. poor marking on a corner.

2. defending players standing off, went through us like a knife through butter, good strike though.

3. sorry ricey that was awful.

4. too loose, where was everyone, looked like a lack of effort, very poor.

ours was a nice strike from benyon from outside the area. try that more often boys.

alan knill - "we just didnt start, we didnt start the game properly, and, uh, y'know, it could have been more."

no $h1t, sherlock. :whistle:

chins up everyone, w'ere still only 4 points off the play offs. :~D
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

usagullmichigan wrote:Simple fact Ling's team under Ling was in the play offs in the first year and then almost in the play offs last year. Ling's win ration was far better than Knill's. This is Knill's team and you can bang on about time needed to gel but a lot of teams have been rebuilt and are doing far better. I don't want him out as it's too early but I don't think he is good enough and never thought he was.
Totally agree
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

All the stats to be quite honest are nonsense, Martin Ling was manager of three very stable clubs, Alan Knill has put his head on the chopping block a few times by taking the likes of Rotherham when they were nothing far short of a crisis club, he went in to Bury when they were in a firefight, not only saved them, as he did us, but took up not long after, also went into scunnie when they were as good as down.

But if you want stats, Martin Lings overall management win ratio is 37.1%, Alan Knills is 33.1% , both had 1 promotion, both had failures ( and as said above factor the clubs and the position they were in) Alan Knill's record doesn't stack up to badly at all.

Said it a few times, our league postion when Martin Ling went sick was masking a huge problem, Lingy only won one 1 of his last 7 games, he walked away and left us right in it, Alan Knill may not be the answer( not had enough time), Martin Ling wasn't either.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not read through people's views on the game, but it was absolutely dire after the second goal went in. Up until then (well, not including the spell up to the first goal) we were competive.

But after that goal, we were so bad it was untrue. No cohesion, no understanding whatsoever between players. And most worrying of all, a lack of workrate. We were comfortably beaten by the better team today, of that there is no doubt.

Was quite defensive of Harding after Northampton as I thought he did ok - that goodwill has gone after today. Absolutely pathetic, did nothing right.

I hope today was a blip, as if its not we are in trouble. I expect to see a reaction at Rochdale next week
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

forevertufc wrote:All the stats to be quite honest are nonsense, Martin Ling was manager of three very stable clubs, Alan Knill has put his head on the chopping block a few times by taking the likes of Rotherham when they were nothing far short of a crisis club, he went in to Bury when they were in a firefight, not only saved them, as he did us, but took up not long after, also went into scunnie when they were as good as down.

But if you want stats, Martin Lings overall management win ratio is 37.1%, Alan Knills is 33.1% , both had 1 promotion, both had failures ( and as said above factor the clubs and the position they were in) Alan Knill's record doesn't stack up to badly at all.

Said it a few times, our league postion when Martin Ling went sick was masking a huge problem, Lingy only won one 1 of his last 7 games, he walked away and left us right in it, Alan Knill may not be the answer( not had enough time), Martin Ling wasn't either.
I agree. Comparisons with Martin Ling are redundant because he was not the same manager when he was sacked as he was at even the beginning as last season. Clearly at the beginning of the year he had to be moved on.
TUST number 080
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Even not comparing him with Martin, his (Knills) managerial record is, in my opinion, poor.

I just don't see him as the answer - yeah, we got rid of Ling, rightly or wrongly, but I think we employed Knill purely because he kept us up last season....and I personally think that this was more luck than any managerial heroics.

Harsh? Probably - but I am yet to be convinced otherwise.

STIP
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

so Scott, the fact that he turned round the players complete lack of confidence was just luck was it ? Codswallop! ( same as we played today !)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

jonnyfive wrote: We beat them well in the second half. They tore us to shreds in the first, and should've been 3-0 up.

I know you like to rewrite history to support your one-man crusades, but let's try to be accurate, shall we?
Nope, not having that. They tore Nico to shreds, all across the rest of the park, the game was much more even in the first half. They were the better side, no doubt, but had Cruise been on, they wouldn't have had the vast majority of their chances. Second half, we were so much better than them it was unreal. Each side dominated a half, just that we dominated much more in our half than they did in theirs.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

taxilady wrote:so Scott, the fact that he turned round the players complete lack of confidence was just luck was it ? Codswallop! ( same as we played today !)
I don't want somebody who will give well paid players a big hug, I want somebody who can manage a football team, and get results....preferably more wins than losses!!

Knill has failed that at every club bar one so far.

STIP