Dover v Torquay Utd. SAT 7TH APRIL. ko.3PM

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Gulliball wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 01:20
Whatever your opinion of Nicholson though, his involvement ended last August and that’s the last moment he could affect anything. Everything since then is with a new manager...

If Nicholson’s position was untenable with his record and 1 point from 4 games then where is Owers now? He got 2 points from the 4 reverse fixtures that Nicholson managed, went 9 without a win during our worst run, crashed out of both cups at the first hurdle, and hasn’t been able to turn the club around.

He inherited a squad with some good players and has been backed to sign 22 of his own players to improve the other spots in the team. He’s had 36 of the 46 games to rise up the league and publicly backed himself to do it. It’s now six months since he declared we’re not rubbish any more, and then we were told we’d be out of danger before Christmas – and the simple fact is that he hasn’t improved us. We are still rubbish, we’re still not safe come April, and could very well be relegated by the weekend.
For me Gulliball has highlighted that we are not very consistent. first we condemn the previous incumbent for our woes, then as the Torquay tale of woe continues, we decide to sympathise with the present incumbent. Go figure!
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

To summarise... The present ownership and management are ripping the heart and soul out of our club. It's a grave mistake to introduce such disillusionment between fans and club. For the first time in a very long time, it feels like TUFC is being held aloof from the 'common' fans. Very sad.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Read we are going to appeal the Romain red card. Just seen the tufc tv highlights, not the best of angles but the path the ball takes after the challenge does look like Romain got a touch and its his follow through that caught the Dover player. Doesnt look too high or dangerous or out of control. Worth an appeal in my view.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

TorquayDNA wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 14:51 To summarise... The present ownership and management are ripping the heart and soul out of our club. It's a grave mistake to introduce such disillusionment between fans and club. For the first time in a very long time, it feels like TUFC is being held aloof from the 'common' fans. Very sad.
While I agree with you, I wouldn't say it was the first time in a long time. This was a common complaint made about the Dave Philips board which had promised greater openness with the fans then went on to maintain radio silence.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

TorquayDNA wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 14:51 To summarise... The present ownership and management are ripping the heart and soul out of our club. It's a grave mistake to introduce such disillusionment between fans and club. For the first time in a very long time, it feels like TUFC is being held aloof from the 'common' fans. Very sad.
Good summary, TorquayDNA, and as Plainmoor 78 posts, it is not only the present ownership. Gullible ...... BRILLIANT POSTS. Thank you for bringing some sanity to the Forum. :clap:
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TorquayDNA »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 16:09 While I agree with you, I wouldn't say it was the first time in a long time. This was a common complaint made about the Dave Philips board which had promised greater openness with the fans then went on to maintain radio silence.
True... But the difference is that Philips and board did at least have an element of being self professed football people and/or fans and/or local to the area. I can't help feeling that there's a disconnect with Torquay and the area as a result of the current board (all 1 of him) management.

But yes, the lack of supporter engagement certainly isn't new. Seriously, there is so much the club could do to ramp up support. It really doesn't cost much to think outside the box and get the fans on board! I read on this forum back in the summer, a fan suggested getting out on the streets of Torquay to raise awareness and pull in some extra crowds. And that's just one idea!

If only the 'management' would look outside their own backsides they'd discover what a power for good the fan base is!
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TorquayDNA »

Forgot to say... Well done and thank you Gulliball for a cracking post.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Not for the first time, I'm taking a different viewpoint from Merse (you may have noticed!). This time on Chris Kinnear, Dover, Gallifuoco ...... and Sam Chaney.

After just missing out on the Play Offs last season, Dover lost most of their players and Kinnear had to rebuild his side virtually from scratch, presumably with a limited budget. When they beat us at Plainmoor last October, I thought that they looked a good side and would be in the Play Offs or thereabouts. They were very well organised, especially in defence. They have slipped a bit in recent weeks but in a league which, in my opinion, has been poor this season, they are still in with a shout for a Play Off place.

I wasn't at the Dover match on Saturday so cannot comment on what happened or what didn't happen, but the description of Gallifuoco as 'slimy' is unnecessary. I liked him as a player when he was with us last season and he contributed as much as anyone to our survival when he was asked to play at fullback - not his normal position - towards the end of the season. I was sorry he didn't sign for us this season. I note that Kinnear is playing him in midfield which is where I thought his best position would be. He had a good game for Dover when they beat us at home. He never backs out of a challenge, but he is not a dirty player. He picked up a few bookings last season as all defenders do, but he was never sent off and I don't think he has been sent off this season.

I am 100% in agreement with Arcadia about Sam Chaney in that if he'd been with a better club, he would have developed into a better player. He has the potential. I know nothing of the 'misdeamour' that he is supposed to have committed, but presumably it was dealt with internally by the club. For goodness sake, he's only a young lad. Didn't we all do silly things when we were in our teens ?? I haven't followed how he is doing at Whitehawk, but whilst he has been there, their fortunes have improved. They will be relegated, but from being hopelessly adrift, they are now off the bottom which is some consolation for them.
P.S. The misdeamour is supposed to relate to some 'involvement' with Tranmere player(s). He actually played very well against Tranmere.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

TorquayDNA wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 16:43 Seriously, there is so much the club could do to ramp up support. It really doesn't cost much to think outside the box and get the fans on board! I read on this forum back in the summer, a fan suggested getting out on the streets of Torquay to raise awareness and pull in some extra crowds. And that's just one idea!
Another would have been to have recognised he bleedin' obvius and that is that the average Plainmoor attendance is now half of what it was when the club dropped out of he Football League and will mre than likely halve again now with losing National League status. Nothing increases crowds like producing the goods, bringing ther feel good factor back t match days/nights and sending the punters home happy.

So does the team walking out with a load of little kids in tow and waving to their mums and dads in the stand achieve what winning your bloody home games would? No of course not. The priorities at Plainmoor have been (and to an extent still are) all wrong and the managerial appointments made on popularity instead of a cold, professional instinct are a major reason for that.

So now instead of being on a par with Bournemouth we are down there with Weston-Super-Mare and if we're not careful it will be Weymouth soon.

Surely that rings a few bells that you don't need a manager who prioritises community work over getting out there and doing their groundwork on signings and future opponents ~ more important when you have no money than when you do ~ and leaving the community work to others; injured players, the extensive sick, lame and lazy brigade and Gilbert and anybody else from the club willing to do so..

Don't get me wrong; when I was Business Manager we utilised the management and players extensively in doing this but never at the expense of the manager putting his day job first. I learned a lot from Watford, Manchester City and Ipswich Town at the time but it was the same there; for all their enthusiasm for engaging with the community; it was the day job that came first and when you don't do that you end up in free fall as Torquay United are these days.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 17:11 P.S. The misdeamour is supposed to relate to some 'involvement' with Tranmere player(s). He actually played very well against Tranmere.
No it was with his own fellow clubates at Torquay. It was 'taken care of' by a Tranmere player and no; the club (TUFC) didn't want to deal with the problem until Geoff Harrop and the PFA took an interest.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Launceston Gull wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 15:02 Read we are going to appeal the Romain red card. Just seen the tufc tv highlights, not the best of angles but the path the ball takes after the challenge does look like Romain got a touch and its his follow through that caught the Dover player. Doesnt look too high or dangerous or out of control. Worth an appeal in my view.
Worth an appeal but it has been unsuccessful; let's be thankfull he didn't get a fourth match for frivolous appealing.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

merse btpir wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 17:25 Worth an appeal but it has been unsuccessful; let's be thankfull he didn't get a fourth match for frivolous appealing.
Three or four it doesn't matter. Its all over bar the shouting now.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well having viewed the highlights there are some pretty contentious decisions in that game. You just form the impression that the ref was going to give Dover everything.

For me the main one is the penalty. Evans has raised his arm but really is that deliberate handball? - doesn't look like it to me. There isn't one Torquay player disputing the decision though - its always the same we are just too nice, never get in the referees face. Just accept everything that comes our way. Its almost hit him point blank.

The referee walks off at half time having a nice cosy chat with a couple of the Dover players. As for the Romain sending off - didn't appear any malice from the camera angle. The reaction of Gallifuoco is laughable - rolling around like he is dying. Then stops and cops a sneaky look at the referee. When he sees the ref look at him he starts rolling around again. Its a **** joke - seriously.

Their no 8 then pushed Romain in the chest right in front of the referee who predictably does nothing. If I had been Romain I would have gone down holding my face - its what every other team other than us do and more often than not gain an advantage from it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 10:27 The point that you may have overlooked is that whilst locking a thread is fine, selectively removing some posts is not.
Unfortunately for you that isn't something you decide. Selectively removing posts was exactly what was required on that particular thread.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Good balanced post, Gulliball.