chris mcphee

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

when i first saw Eunan i adopted my usual stance ie HE IS SHIT!! But after watching him i now reluctantly accept that he is our best player, by some margin and even Brucie must concur!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
mickyflash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mickyflash »

Jeff wrote:
Branston signed for Kettering (in BSN at the time) out of choice, not out of playing for too many league clubs. They were in a boom period though, and paying league salaries so it's a hard one to judge, but he did choose to go there.

And remember Saah has played over 100 league games for Orient in both leagues 1 and 2. He's got pedigree and his highly rated at Cambridge - he's their skipper. If we complete that deal I would be very happy with it.

EDIT - and Buckle was linked to signing Saah for us 2 years ago before he went to Cambridge
As it goes I too would be very happy with the signing of Saah. The point I tried and failed to make, other than my miss informed memory of Branston was just because no other league club wants him - to quote Brucie directly. Does not mean he cannot do a job for us, look at Manse, Ellis, Robertson, and Nicho who have all made the step up.

My posts must read a lot more negetivley than I intend them too :-o
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i'm not sure if i've ever seen Saah play, but from what i know of him, and what i've heard from Orient fans, i'll be more than happy to see him join us. he's only about 25, but already been around for a while, so an experienced head on a relatively young player, and a natural leader by all accounts. he's not Guy Branston, but i believe he'll bring the same know how to the team, and will help the "young" players. i think he will help Ellis and Robbo improve, he's a good communicator, and with a good keeper behind them, Nico and Leadbitter, that looks like a solid defensive group. as has already been mentioned, we seem pretty flush with central midfield options, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Having read this morning, Ling's comments on Danny, it's another example of good management in my opinion. OK, maybe he doesn't know Danny very well, and maybe Buckle would've let him go, but Ling's basically said to Danny, "you've got talent, show us". If it doesn't work out, Danny can't have any complaints, but IF he does come good, and he finds that bit extra and the consistency, he could prove to be a useful player.

we've been through a few rough weeks at the club, but the players that are left, and the new ones coming in have really got to fight for each other, Ling needs to get that dressing room buzzing, and the yellow army need to get behind each and every one of them.

COYY

:scarf:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

regiment wrote:i'm not sure if i've ever seen Saah play, but from what i know of him, and what i've heard from Orient fans, i'll be more than happy to see him join us. he's only about 25, but already been around for a while, so an experienced head on a relatively young player, and a natural leader by all accounts. he's not Guy Branston, but i believe he'll bring the same know how to the team, and will help the "young" players. i think he will help Ellis and Robbo improve, he's a good communicator, and with a good keeper behind them, Nico and Leadbitter, that looks like a solid defensive group. as has already been mentioned, we seem pretty flush with central midfield options, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Having read this morning, Ling's comments on Danny, it's another example of good management in my opinion. OK, maybe he doesn't know Danny very well, and maybe Buckle would've let him go, but Ling's basically said to Danny, "you've got talent, show us". If it doesn't work out, Danny can't have any complaints, but IF he does come good, and he finds that bit extra and the consistency, he could prove to be a useful player.

we've been through a few rough weeks at the club, but the players that are left, and the new ones coming in have really got to fight for each other, Ling needs to get that dressing room buzzing, and the yellow army need to get behind each and every one of them.

COYY

Well said!
I read the the Danny story on the OS and was impressed with Ling's words. Prepared to give the boy one last chance but made it very clear what he expects.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

regiment wrote:i'm not sure if i've ever seen Saah play, but from what i know of him, and what i've heard from Orient fans, i'll be more than happy to see him join us. he's only about 25, but already been around for a while, so an experienced head on a relatively young player, and a natural leader by all accounts. he's not Guy Branston, but i believe he'll bring the same know how to the team, and will help the "young" players. i think he will help Ellis and Robbo improve, he's a good communicator, and with a good keeper behind them, Nico and Leadbitter, that looks like a solid defensive group. as has already been mentioned, we seem pretty flush with central midfield options, so it's not all doom and gloom.

COYY

Agree with all that but shocked that Stevens has a 2 year deal in front of him to sign, and I think he can count himself one lucky boy. Ling makes it clear how much Stevens needs to improve, surely a one year prove yourself to me deal should have been on the table. I like Danny and hopefully he does improve but lets be honest, hes been here a while and he isn't suddenly going to start ripping up any trees. For me a two year deal is allowing him to relax and plod on if he wants, a one year deal would have put a rocket up his ass and hopefully got more out of him performance wise. If he wasn't willing to sign a one year deal I personally would have let him go.
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Warwickgull wrote: Agree with all that but shocked that Stevens has a 2 year deal in front of him to sign, and I think he can count himself one lucky boy. Ling makes it clear how much Stevens needs to improve, surely a one year prove yourself to me deal should have been on the table. I like Danny and hopefully he does improve but lets be honest, hes been here a while and he isn't suddenly going to start ripping up any trees. For me a two year deal is allowing him to relax and plod on if he wants, a one year deal would have put a rocket up his ass and hopefully got more out of him performance wise. If he wasn't willing to sign a one year deal I personally would have let him go.
You have posted exactly what I was just about to. Happy for a 1 year deal and a foot up the arse with it, but why two years? Hardly a prove yourself period - Danny can relax for at least 12 months before having to think about that!
Last edited by Richinns on 01 Jul 2011, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

lol great minds think alike!

Think Ling has got his pies mixed up this time and has given Danny Steak n Ale, when he should just have got Cheese n Onion!
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I wonder if the board are a little apprehensive about 1 year deals after the likes of Carayol did well and walked out. It's a little too conservative for my liking but if that is the reason I guess I can understand it.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Warwickgull wrote: Agree with all that but shocked that Stevens has a 2 year deal in front of him to sign, and I think he can count himself one lucky boy. Ling makes it clear how much Stevens needs to improve, surely a one year prove yourself to me deal should have been on the table. I like Danny and hopefully he does improve but lets be honest, hes been here a while and he isn't suddenly going to start ripping up any trees. For me a two year deal is allowing him to relax and plod on if he wants, a one year deal would have put a rocket up his ass and hopefully got more out of him performance wise. If he wasn't willing to sign a one year deal I personally would have let him go.
Actually, this makes perfect sense to me. He's probably not on a fortune, so a 2 year deal isn't going to break the bank, and we cover ourselves if he ends up having a tremendous season (hey, it could happen) and we get interest from other clubs. Not only does it protect us from a summer bid, it gives us more leverage in the even of January interest - with a 1 year deal he'd be free to speak to other teams in Jan, and sign a pre-contract agreement, and then would we get the best of him in the last 4 months of the season?

This way, we've engendered a bit of loyalty in him, and if he stays crap, we can almost certainly ship him off somewhere without too much of a financial burden. Sure, he could in theory dig his heels in and refuse to go anywhere, but that kind of behaviour is not going to get him a shiny new contract with anybody else, especially if, as I say, he'd been poor.

Sounds like brilliant management to me, to be honest.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Absolutely. If it doesn't work out this season, a number of BSP sides would snap our hands off for a long loan. If it works, brilliant. He's a skilful lad who can add something special on his day. The Manager's comments were very appropriate to the player concerned and something that many of us would agree with. Quite impressed with some of Ling's publicised observations already. I don't think we'll get the same soundbite savvy nonsense we got off that last Manager whose name eludes me.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I really cant see why most people are on his back already. You cant go on what we saw 4/5 years ago as he is a new player. Any player who can put 18 goals away in the BSP is worth a chance, its just hes an ex player not someone we dont know so noone is raving about him.

From what i have seen of him last season, he has got a lot stonger, more skillful and his finishing has improved by a mile. I would be very confident that is he is up top and gets infront of goal he will score plenty of goals.

Come on Chris prove everyone wrong.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

tufcbrett wrote:I really cant see why most people are on his back already. You cant go on what we saw 4/5 years ago as he is a new player. Any player who can put 18 goals away in the BSP is worth a chance, its just hes an ex player not someone we dont know so noone is raving about him.

From what i have seen of him last season, he has got a lot stonger, more skillful and his finishing has improved by a mile. I would be very confident that is he is up top and gets infront of goal he will score plenty of goals.

Come on Chris prove everyone wrong.

I do agree with this- the fact he says he prefers midfield doesn't really mean a lot as if we can't get another forward, he will play there!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I too am quite pleased at picking up McPhee. He is clearly a more accomplished player than when he was last here and, hopefully, he will not be part of a relegation doomed team either.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

It is very important not to pre-judge him on his previous spell at the club. I have had some time to come to terms with it and although I am not thrilled he may prove a useful squad member and his versatility is a major bonus. Anyone on his back and instantly cat calling him has not got the clubs best interests at heart.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Quite right Rich. The idea that people (and so many of them, too) are judging McPhee from one absolutely disastrous spell in a team which was probably two divisions too high for its ability and it was 4/5 years ago. That team and club of the relegation year was such a shambles that we could have had Lionel Messi up front and still gone down.

The boy has proven that, when he isn't shackled by being in a club in total and complete disarray, he is a damn fine footballer.

Forget the joke of what went on before, and judge him on what materialises over the coming weeks and months. I am firmly of the belief that there will be many on here (not all, some people will always be idiots) who will be offering apologies and making retractions before Christmas arrives.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"