Who will it be? - Chris Hargreaves NEW MANAGER

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

sam_ wrote:One issue with Greavsie, is two of his good mates are still in the squad, wonder if that would have an affect, or would it push Nicholson and Mansell into coaching/player roles?
I don't think this is an issue. The players know what they have to do and what is required. What the manager does need from his players is respect, which I believe Hargreaves will get if he comes in.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stefano wrote:It probably does not matter who it is. The club are in the relegation zone without a manager. Forget the January transfer window. We have to pay off the ex-manager. The players we have on loan will go back to their clubs, Mozika who is on a week to week contract will leave, we will recall our out on loan players breaking the hearts of supporters of clubs like Bideford and Swindon Submarine, and players who should have been on their way during the January window (freeing up a fair bit of cash as they are the most highly paid) will dig their heels in and will still be here in May. The club will probably be relegated well before May in any case so I don't suppose it really matters.
Well, we have a better chance of surviving relegation now that Knill has gone. Most certainly.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: Well, we have a better chance of surviving relegation now that Knill has gone. Most certainly.
Your opinion was fine until the 'most certainly' bit. It will be impossible to prove either way, whichever way it goes ;-)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

stefano wrote: Your opinion was fine until the 'most certainly' bit. It will be impossible to prove either way, whichever way it goes ;-)
Exactly right.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

PhilGull wrote: Eh?
The current board, even if you say they have been in charge since the takeover from Bateson (which a lot of them haven't) have had a successful Buckle who moved on to bigger(!) and better(!) things and a successful Ling who had his illness. The only really mistake they could be accused of making was appointing Knill permanently without seeking other candidates.
:goodpost:

Yes - the current board, I suspect would be a model of stability if circumstances hadn't dictated otherwise.

The managers since Leroy are: John Cornforth, Ian Atkins, Lubus Kubik, Keith Curle, Leroy Rosenior again, Paul Buckle, Martin Ling, Alan Knill - so I'm uncertain who the other two are.

The first 5 all managed in the space of just over a year from around Jan/Feb 2006 to May 2007. That was in the chaos of the Bateson/Roberts dying empire.

Buckle lasted 4 years and it would have been longer had Bristol Rovers not poached him, whilst the same could be said of Ling, had 'illness' not claimed him.

Alan Knill was the only knee-jerk appointment and he was the only one that didn't work out. If the board can be measured but swift, then as illustrated by their appointments prior to Knill, then they have a good chance of getting it right.

Alan Knill was just never a good fit. He didn't seem to click with players or the supporters. If the next appointment does then the club have every chance of being stable for a longer period.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

What is the clamour for a DOF and Coach/ Expensive to fund and to pay off !!

We dont need another lazy appointment like Knill was. Remember prior to his appointment Simon Baker said that the Club had spoken to "football people". Begs the question ........ Who on the board is qualified to pick the new manager?

I am concerned that so many want Hargreaves and more worried that NIco is third favourite. We need stability not a shot in the dark.

On another point I understand that Ling is still being paid but Colin Lee has now finished being paid.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: Your opinion was fine until the 'most certainly' bit. It will be impossible to prove either way, whichever way it goes ;-)
The weight of evidence and the balance of probabilities suggests we were down under Knill. It was just getting worse and worse. It was not going to improve. If you have the evidence of his previous record and the evidence that is staring you in the face, compared to say a Sturrock coming in and his previous record, then the likelihood is things will improve post-Knill, as they couldn't get much worse.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: The weight of evidence and the balance of probabilities suggests we were down under Knill. It was just getting worse and worse. It was not going to improve. If you have the evidence of his previous record and the evidence that is staring you in the face, compared to say a Sturrock coming in and his previous record, then the likelihood is things will improve post-Knill, as they couldn't get much worse.
Yes. But 'balance of probabilities' or 'likelihood' is not 'most certainly'. So it's as we were then ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

stefano wrote: ... and don't include me in the 'we'! ;-)

Thanks for your playing days Mr Hargreaves, but please go to Northampton.

or me.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

tinyurl.com/nnamwzk

David Thomas assessment of the situation.

It is funny how DT is saying the same thing many of us have been saying for a few months in terms of cost of sacking Knill v cost of losing league status and the possibility of rookie with senior figure. That sounds like Sturrock/Russell to me. If Hargreaves has a chance of the no.1 job at Northampton, I wonder whether he would want a coach-type role here, if that was to be the set-up.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

apologies - the twitter link may not open

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/c ... story.html
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

I repeat ...............Who is qualified from our board to make this vital decision?
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

MF68 wrote:I repeat ...............Who is qualified from our board to make this vital decision?
Who is qualified on here? Doesn't stop pages of debate over the right candidate.

They put their money in when Torquay could have gone under and that gives them the right. I hope they make their own decision - not the one they think will be most popular.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

hector wrote: :goodpost:

Yes - the current board, I suspect would be a model of stability if circumstances hadn't dictated otherwise.

The managers since Leroy are: John Cornforth, Ian Atkins, Lubus Kubik, Keith Curle, Leroy Rosenior again, Paul Buckle, Martin Ling, Alan Knill - so I'm uncertain who the other two are.

The first 5 all managed in the space of just over a year from around Jan/Feb 2006 to May 2007. That was in the chaos of the Bateson/Roberts dying empire.

Buckle lasted 4 years and it would have been longer had Bristol Rovers not poached him, whilst the same could be said of Ling, had 'illness' not claimed him.

Alan Knill was the only knee-jerk appointment and he was the only one that didn't work out. If the board can be measured but swift, then as illustrated by their appointments prior to Knill, then they have a good chance of getting it right.

Alan Knill was just never a good fit. He didn't seem to click with players or the supporters. If the next appointment does then the club have every chance of being stable for a longer period.
I counted Leroy twice and Colin Lee. I take your point about stability at both board and management level but things certainly aren't what they should be now-we've also had three Chairmen since Bateson left(or is it 4,as I seem to remember Keith Richardson taking it on for a couple of weeks as well).
I just think the whole Boardroom set-up needs reviewing in terms of ensuring expertise on football matters as well as business matters is addressed.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Devon Yellow. This is a fans forum and not a boardroom. Answer the question ..........if you can !!!!!!!!!