torquay united v aldershot town - 2nd october 2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stefano wrote:
Echoes of FA Cup 1970/71 at home to Lincoln City. 3-0 down in 30 minutes. Won 4-3!

Aye, I remember that game. I was there, at the back of the Mini Stand :

FA Cup 3rd Round,Saturday January 2nd 1971. All seven goals scored at the Ellacombe End.

Mickey Cave, John Rudge with a penalty and Chris Barnard with 2 goals including the winner.

Was it really over 41 years ago ? I remember it like it was yesterday because fightbacks like that at Plainmoor don't happen often.

I've been harpin' on about that game for donkeys years, because I never thought I'd witness another one.

Now I have.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Dear God, don't they talk the most frightful rubbish on the Shots forum.
They reckon they were somehow deserving of a three goal lead. If they were as good as they seem to think they were, I'd bloody despair going to watch them play every week. Quite how bad an average ATFC performance is I'm really not sure that I can comprehend.
Also, despite the fact that the conditions were the same for both teams, it's all the fault of the wind that we scored all 4 goals, despite one being kicked in from a yard after a double save, one being a good square ball having drawn the keeper, one being an excellent cross and flick header and one being an exocet from 20 yards. None of which have anything to do with the prevailing meteorological conditions.
No mention either of the officials. Ref was standard L2 tripe, but the special award for most consistently incorrect decision making goes to the Pop side lino who started as he meant to go on by giving a VERY clear corner as a goal kick inside 2 minutes.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just got back from my short break in Devon and may i say a big thank you to the flu bug that knocked me for six on monday and tuesday meaning me missing the best game EVER! The only game i would have been over the moon to be 0-0 turned out to be an unforgettable experience. Unbelieveable. One ticket wasted. At least i've brought some Dartmoor Brewery Jail Ale back with me to drown my sorrows.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

Regarding the post from njgull on previous page, I was wondering is there a reason for Torquay fans to hate ManUtd? Is there any sort of rivalry between the clubs from the past? The only thing that I can think of is our loss last year at FA Youth cup, and of course Lee Sharpe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

EVERYONE hates Man U MH91
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

This is correct but as far as I know they have the biggest fanbase in UK as well. I was thinking of something in particular?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Nope, it's part of a really very juvenile and silly attitude that some people take when others earn some modicum of success. You'll note that no one professes to hate Aston Villa. This is because Aston Villa are the most boring team on Earth. They don't win anything, they don't do anything, they are totally insignificant. In the 70s, everyone hated Liverpool, because they won everything. Then it was Manchester United. For a season, everyone hated Blackburn because they won the division having spent a shed load of cash. Remember a couple of years ago when EVERYONE either supported Chelsea (if they were 9) or hated Chelsea (if they weren't 9), that was because they won the Premier League a couple of times. Can you find anyone these days who gives a shit about either Liverpool or Chelsea? Nope, nor can I, that's because they don't win things. Go back to 1985, the year Sir Alex was appointed and United hadn't won so much as a raffle for 20 years or more, did anyone give a shit about them then? No, of course not. It'll come around again one day, Man Utd will do as Liverpool have done and start to slip and will find themselves finishing 6th and Everton or Fulham will win the Premier League and suddenly everyone will detest them, giving it all the mouth about how Fulham always get penalties at the Cottage, and how Howard Webb wears an FFC shirt under his ref's jersey and you won't be able to buy a Man United shirt anywhere except their MegaStore.
It's very silly, it's very boring and it's actually a little bit embarrassing, since it shows up a grotesque failure to appreciate just what an achievement it is to win the number of trophies that these clubs have over the years. Ask Blackburn, or Leeds, they'll soon tell you it's not as easy as some of these clubs make it look.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"