Port Vale v Torquay United - 1/9/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Definitely DEFINITELY a point gained.

We withstood some heavy pressure today (and do so pretty well), and created very little which is slightly worrying. Although Poke only had to make one save second half, Saah's attacks on his own goal were a major threat and we had to withstand a barrage of balls into the box.

It wasn't a great game by any stretch. First half had very few chances, mostly Vale lumping balls into the box but Poke was never tested and only when McCombe volleyed a cross over did they ever really threaten. We were even more shot shy - only a header from Howe straight at the keeper was our sight of goal.

Morris' goal was controversial. Down at the far end, a Vale cross was headed up in the air by one of our players. It looped awkwardly towards the far post, Poke went to grab it but his momentum took him backwards. He collided with the post and a lot of Pokey ended up in the side netting, and it looked for all the world like he'd carried the ball in. To compound matters he spilt it, and two follow up efforts would blocked amid uproar from the crowd, but nothing was given. From the hopeful clearing punt upfield Howe got in behind, cut inside and squared the ball across to the onrushing Morris. The first, steadying touch was poor and took him away from goal, but the second touch was a sweet low strike across the keeper and into the far corner.

Second half, we didn't test their keeper once. In fact we barely got out of our half. I think one hopefully long ranger from Nico which rolled straight to the keeper was all we managed.

We repelled wave after wave of Vale attack. Numerous crossed were headed away by Saah and McKenzie, but we could not hold the ball and it kept coming back. Poke was forced to excellently parry and angled drive away for a corner, and a succession of shots were blocked by heroic efforts. A swirling cross also came back off the angle of post and bar, as we struggled to maintain the threat particularly of Myrie-Williams on the Vale right.

Annoyingly, we conceded from a moment of no threat. Hopeless ball swung into the box, into an area of no danger. It was going to bounce right into Pokes arms, but Pokey stayed routed to his line and clearly didn't call. Saah, fearing danger, ran diagonally into the danger zone and in trying to divert the ball away only succeeded in heading it straight towards goal. Poke was rooted, and the ball ended up in the back of the net. Ridiculous.

It could have been worse. Moments later a Myrie-Williams cross was met by the swinging boot of Saah - it cannoned off the inside of the post and away to safety. We were teetering, but the game petered out into a series of corners, headers and goalmouth scrambles that we managed to smuggle away for a point.

Positives:

McKenzie - not the finished article yet, but a solid debut. Very few mistakes, did well in the air against Pope and made a few good blocks. Positioning occasionally questionable, but did very little wrong. Don't see that we have too much need to bring in any more cover - Kyrtis today proved he can do the job.

Thompson - again did well. Today was a big test of how he would stand up away from home, and he did ok. Not quite the impact of last week but caused a few problems and did some solid defensive work. We have real options on the right side of attack

Craig - some fantastic cross field passes. Did a solid job in the holding role but sense he would be better playing further forward

Little deserved point - tough game, tough start to season but we remain unbeaten

Negatives:

Poke - rooted to his line on too many occasions

Missing Lathrope - ball retention in midfield was dire

Rene's temperament/Jarvis - another needless booking for Rene, and Jarvis is just not cutting the mustard as a replacement. Once he went off, we had no outlet up top

Lack of options from the bench - a negative at the moment but will improve as players return

All in all disappointed with how we conceded, but rode our luck massively so can't complain about a point at a tough ground.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks.Great report Jeff
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Martin Ling has just been on Radio Devon and is happy with the point.

What I'm not happy about is the withdrawal of forward players late in the game with the result of increased pressure with no outlet.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Good point. Sounds like we played poorly but even then had enough to bring home a point, just about. Excellent.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's a good point from a tough place to go, no doubt about it. The ending of our recent games leaves massive room for improvement. I've taken into consideration our depleted squad and the inexperience of our young first year pros who have performed beyond expectation.

What we need is a bit of thought and composure on the ball. Snoop was excellent last season in coming on late in the game and running the ball into the corner and keeping it there.

Then there's Howe. Those who only know how will remain students. Those who know why become masters.

I listened earlier to the Rene Howe interview and the gist of it was when someone sticks their face in his he goes for it. An attitude like that will eventually cost us crucial points. I don't care how "good" he is, I'd let him go now. Sort it out management and do it before the derby game with Argyle.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Trojan 67 wrote:Martin Ling has just been on Radio Devon and is happy with the point.

What I'm not happy about is the withdrawal of forward players late in the game with the result of increased pressure with no outlet.
I am delighted with the point. I would gladly taken that before the game as I felt, with the team we were having to field, that a point was a big ask.

I think the thing we know about Martin Ling is that he is quite a cautious manager. away from home with what sounded like a lot of pressure, it is natural to play a more defensive line-up but like you say we miss that physical presence up front once Howe goes off.

However, despite the fact we are not racking up the points, it is nice being one of only 2 unbeaten teams. Being hard to beat at the start is sometimes a better platform to build from than winning ad losing alternately, even if the latter may initially yield more points.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

We are not getting lucky withn injuries at the moment. Great point considering Lingys hands are so tied. And it always makes a result taste a lot better when Rovers lose 3-0 at home!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

7 injuries was always going to effect our tactics and quality, and yet we come away from Vale park with a point. Its these single points that come next May prove so vital. In hindsight a fully fit squad would have done well to get a point here, so we can only concentrate on the positives from this match in regards to our youth players performing so well. Well done Torquay United.
Lucy
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Managed to make it in the end and did the boys proud with our singing at the back. Just got back after picking up the little un from Rotherham ( don't ring the police, i'm her father! ). Trying to get childcare on matchdays is a bloody thankless task and if my mum is ill, like she was today then i'm pretty much screwed. Anyway, today was a replica of our performance at Fleetwood and i don't know if it is the shape of things to come in terms of our away tactics. Like at Fleetwood, we soaked up vast amounts of pressure and should have been out of sight with better finishing, Michael Poke, good defending and bloody good fortune. We could have nicked the win at Fleetwood despite all that if Morris had hit the onion bag with his chance and we could have done a smash and grab today too, Morris getting the goal. (see told you Morris WILL score!!!) :lol: Was it not for the inexplicable og from Brian we'd have the points. Not blaming Brian, he was immense again. It's just one of those freak things that happen from time to time.

I don't want to dwell on the negatives because i thought the lads that were out there on the pitch today did us proud and they helped each other and put in the work. In addition i have to factor in McKenzie and Craig coming in. If we play that this or like we did at Fleetwood against Rotherham next away game we will be out of sight by half time like Bradford were today. They will simply rip us apart. I thought we were second to most balls, not quick enough winning the ball and certainly not quick enough to get bodies forward. Bodin was really, really poor today and offered us nothing. We created next to nothing all game, Rene having a few speculative efforts but nothing to wet yourself about. The referee was abysmal again and Vale Park is a place i'm getting fed up going to. It is sterile, boring, shit, nothing to do and i also saw the neanderthal element of their fanbase today. In a nutshell we competed as best we could with the personnel available but we were battered and should have lost by two or three.

POKE: 9 - Like Jeff says, he is not commanding at crosses and stays put a lot but his saves again kept us in the game and i thought he made a couple of superb saves today.

OASTLER: 7 - Solid enough, did what was asked although looked a little bit more languid than usual.

NICO: 7 - Again like Joey, solid and dependable, headed one off the line near the end and delivered a few useful corners and crosses. Not much going forward.

SAAH: 8 - Great today despite the own goal and another swipe inside his own penalty area which sliced off his boot and came back off the post. Should have been og number 2! Saah nearly tore US apart today! :lol:

McKENZIE: 7 - Came in and did really well, solid start and although he got caught out a few times he alse battled and made some good tackles and blocks.

CRAIG: 6 - Did ok, no complaints really. Not helped by the rest of the team but there you go. Nothing special but solid.

MANSELL: 7 - Typical Manse, getting stuck in and putting himself about. A lot more defensive today and no real forays forward.

MORRIS: 7 - Looked off the pace and slow, highlighted by the fact that they had some pace in and around the middle. Great composed finish for the goal but not too much else.

THOMPSON: 6 - First time i have seen him and he had a great workrate and put in lots of effort but Doug Loft ( their no.7 i think) had him in his pocket all game and rarely did Thommo get past. Disappointing really in terms of an attacking threat.

BODIN: 4 - In my personal opinion the worst Torquay player by a country mile today. Offered zero in terms of attacking runs, going at defenders, looked slow and lightweight and disinterested. Poor.

HOWE: 6 - Showed glimpses of class especially when setting up Morris for the goal but far too casual at times when in good positions and also his workrate and desire to win the ball could have been better today. Not many chances to shine.

LEADBITTER: 6 - Did ok when he came on, quick and strong and good to see him back.
JARVIS: 4 - Did nothing.

All in all i would have taken a point before the game, ultimately Vale Park is a tricky place to come and better teams than us will get beat here. Spare a thought for Brian Saah tonight as the header he put through his own net was completely inexplicable and cost us the points in the end but he will be feeling bad. Don't worry about it Bri ( if your reading - i know he fecking isn't! ) you did good son. We still love you man!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Cesspit...sounds like nothing has changed since my last visit in the early 80s !!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Also there weren't many of us there at all today. It seemed that last season there were many more and that was on a cold friday november night. Anyone know how many Gulls there were today?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Great point - lets be honest we had a bloody awful looking team on the pitch at times. Cruise,Leadbitter - bloody hell.
I really hope Ling gets a couple of loaness in because we look completely threadbare. we will get beat by Plymouth with that sort of line up next week.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Also take a look at my predictions for the prediction league! Ha! Morris first scorer and us to be 1-0 up at h/t!! Shame about the rest of my bloody predictions though.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

austrianandygull wrote:Also there weren't many of us there at all today. It seemed that last season there were many more and that was on a cold friday november night. Anyone know how many Gulls there were today?

I guess it's the fact it isn't a new ground, two home games last week, Argyle next week, Rovrum as our next away game is a bit more attractive. As I said before I won't be going to Vale again unless it's a big game.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers Nick. I guess you're right mate, i don't think i'll be going there again either to be honest and i only live 50 miles away. At £20 a pop too they can f**k off and fold for all i care.