Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

I think the negativity comes from a sense that we maybe sleepwalking towards a repeat of the Hargreaves appoiappointment.

I worshipped Hargreaves as a player but really didn't want him as manager as I feared the scenario that unfolded. I fear a Nicholson appointment (if it happens) would be on the grounds of a spurious feelgood factor.

This is Plainmoor not Disneyland.

Sean Joyce trumps Nicholson every time for me if we have to go down that route with Sean North as coach
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

By the time you sift through those applications and weed out the jokers, the foreign ones with no real pedigree or understanding of English football and the serious ones come to the front you then have to find a package that will suit them. If after all that the best choice for those doing the recruiting ends up being Nicholson then so be it. What we all need to do is unite and continue to support the club. If we can get through this season and stay up then that's a success in my book. We could then look to rebuild from a more solid base.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Nic and Ling would do well to steer clear from the job. Nico can come back sometime in the future after he's done some coaching at Bath or Truro. As for Ling, there's more important things than football, he should be watching his son play at Orient and stay clear from the mess and stress at Plainmoor.

Sean Joyce may be able to do the job, I don't know. Guy Branston talks a good game and would surely strike fear into the players, get them playing as a team and show some pride again. Someone of his ilk would do me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

A Realist wrote:No disrespect but how do you know that the club has no money for a manager?
You're absolutely right, I do not know how much money the club has to put towards paying a manager. It's a pretty safe guess the club does not have anything like a £1,000 a week to offer a potential candidate, the reason why I mention this type of figure, is that's the level the club will need to reach, to get a manager with a good CV, part of the reason why Cox decided against coming back for discussions, was down to the fact our club would not be able to offering anywhere near what he would want, he said so himself in not so many words.

I'm not jumping through hoops at the thought of Nicho becoming our next manager, I've realised he might be our best option considering where the club is now, not where it was 5 years ago.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'm not against Nico as a person, but I do think it is the wrong appointment for the club at this time - pretty much rock bottom in the league, can't buy a win, players with pretty much zero confidence and no money to get any players in - then we bring in a manager with zero experience and, therefore, a massive punt to take.

IF we take him on, we may as well have kept Hargreaves.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trouble is Scott, when the new board took over they placed CH on gardening leave (effectively sacked him) and brought in a new manager, it says the board of the football club do not trust CH to do the job, so how could they then, because it's not all worked out quite as they hoped, go back to CH and say, come on then mate, come back to work for us.

They couldn't, could they.
Last edited by Dave on 27 Sep 2015, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Potnoodle. Is your source from within the Club (ie the Board) ?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

When you weigh it up it also depends what experience the new manager has had it's different managing in front of a crowd and we've seen what happens
when Edwards and Ramshaw froze in the 3-7 defeat. I've no problem with either Nicholson or Joyce but we need to give either a contract and get behind them and support them. It's a waste of time having a manager that can walk out at any time and the players know they can get him sacked by not performing.
Joyce has the experience and is a workaholic would be my bet but I think the board will choose Nicholson as it's easy and no complications but I do worry if he's had no experience. This will be a big job for him to take on. Ling with one of them could be good.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

forevertufc wrote: You're absolutely right, I do not know how much money the club has to put towards paying a manager. It's a pretty safe guess the club does not have anything like a £1,000 a week to offer a potential candidate, the reason why I mention this type of figure, is that's the level the club will need to reach, to get a manager with a good CV, part of the reason why Cox decided against coming back for discussions, was down to the fact our club would not be able to offering anywhere near what he would want, he said so himself in not so many words.

I'm not jumping through hoops at the thought of Nicho becoming our next manager, I've realised he might be our best option considering where the club is now, not where it was 5 years ago.
I would presume you are correct that they cannot afford that type of money. However I think there are plenty of managers who would work for a lot less than that. It is also worth mentioning that Nicholson is in contract at a club and will not come for free. Bath will want money to release him, of that I have no doubt. If he is coming in as a player manager as well, he also played in the FA cup yesterday which will mean he is cup tied to. As much as I would want him to do well, I just cannot even begin to make a case for his appointment.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

I very much doubt we can afford Manager and assistant which is why I think it wont be Nico
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

MF68 wrote:I very much doubt we can afford Manager and assistant which is why I think it wont be Nico
This is why my money was on North, as he would be the sort of guy who would pretty much do everything.

Hopefully tomorrow we will find out
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

I cant believe how little news there is, anyone know if the Club has called a press conference ?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:By the time you sift through those applications and weed out the jokers, the foreign ones with no real pedigree or understanding of English football and the serious ones come to the front you then have to find a package that will suit them. If after all that the best choice for those doing the recruiting ends up being Nicholson then so be it. What we all need to do is unite and continue to support the club. If we can get through this season and stay up then that's a success in my book. We could then look to rebuild from a more solid base.
You said jokers did you apply. I AGREE with your post but I hope they don't make the same mistake by not giving the manager a contract. A contract will give him strength in the dressing room.

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
North would be a mistake he's an out and out assistant. Don't make this mistake.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Spot on arcadia. Number 2s never make good bosses. John Carver ????

I would settle for just about anyone as long as they have MANAGED before in the Football League or Conference.
Ling still my choice.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

potnoodle wrote:Believe what you like I was only saying what I heard. You lot should wake up we haven't got the funds.

I fully back the board and the manager regardless who it might be. This is a tall order to keep us in this league, stop bickering and support the club its their decision at the end of the day.
This is obvious and a good post :goodpost:

Added in 40 minutes 33 seconds:
forevertufc wrote:Just to add. The thing that's most worrying, having read the forums and social media, is the total lack of understanding, of where our club really is right now, TUFC does not have £1,000 a week for manager, who's going to re-locate down here for the money our clubs likely to paying.

As much as I, like everyone else do not want a #legend former player appointed as manager, Nicho I believe still lives right here in Torquay, he is working towards his coaching badges, he would right now, be common sense in terms of being an affordable appointment.
I think your right, won't like it but will support him.