Torquay United v Harrogate Town - FA Cup Rnd 1 - 3/11/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
y_e_l_l_o_w
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Downes

Post by y_e_l_l_o_w »

Hi All,

Just an honest post and general feelings.

Firstly, Torquay United Football Club is a small, COMMUNITY football club that runs as a legitimate business attempting to stay in profit whilst bringing the community local football at league 2 standard. - We need to remember why we love watching Torquay, why we endure the freezing tuesday evenings as the rain batters the ground and why when those yellow shirts walk on the pitch, there is that sense of feeling that there is my team. Through many ups and just so many downs they are our club, we make a decision to SUPPORT them, you are not forced to do this remember.... suggest mr Ferrarilover checks out the definition of the word support.

Secondly, whilst I do not mean for this post to be condescending in any way I think some of you agree that there seems more negatives than positives on here these days, I think a community football club forum is one part of the many strings that create a community vibe about a club, but it should not be used to persecute an individual player that may be going through a poor patch, lets look at how crucial Mr Boden's goals were last season, in the short time we had him, he won us football matches, lets not forget that. Finally in reference to the post about family stand ticket deals, this is great and for the poster who replies he has no children, the consider keeping a post like this to yourself as it borders on very offensive.

Good luck Tuesday Torquay.

Y_E_L_L_O_W
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There is hardly going to be too many positives after this abject humiliation. There isn't really one excuse we can make. We have bugger all money and have blown a free shot at being one round away from potentially drawing the likes of Man UTd.
This abject cock up cannot be brushed under the carpet.
With all due respect to Harrogate ( a team that are one league higher than Bideford, and believe me they are useless) - they were still playing at ten o'clock on Wednesday night trying to secure a trip to Plainmoor no more than two and a bit days later.
They could only muster 16 supporters and I think I am right in saying they struggled to beat a team three leagues below them in the qualifying round.
And Lings response to all this? - he was bleating about not being able to make preparations because he didn't know which team he was playing.
As I say not ONE excuse for this debacle - but it seems that our bunch of losers just thought that they had to turn up to win.
If Ling had any bottle he would have these bunch of no necks running round the training ground all sunday morning.
The most depressing result since Buckle blew his tactics and lost to Crawley in the cup.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Next April I will celebrate 50 years of attending matches at Plainmoor. Over the years I have seen some poor performances, some bad performances, and some absolutely awful performances. Today's 'effort' may be placed in the latter category. It is in the Top 20 of awful matches seem at Plainmoor.
Seen ion the long term - and it is difficult to spot trends as they are beginning - I feel that today's game marks the beginning of a down period in United's fortunes. Out of every cup and with many (no, not all) league games offering only tedium and ennui to the attendee.
So why do we come? Today's attendance gives a clue: less and less of us are.
Another point perhaps worth making is that the FA Cup has been devalued since the inception of the Premiership. It is in the Premiership's interests to do so, that particular organization wishing to be the only game in town. But before the early 1990s the FA Cup WAS the biggest game in town, with attendances to prove that theory. Now, and I seem little hope of change until the Premiership implodes as it eventually will, FA Cup games are treated as irrelevancies. Just look at today! The team uninterested; the management (by the look of its body language) uninterested, and the public uninterested. Not even the chance of gaining thousands of thousands of pounds as a bonus for winning could inspire the club today.
As I was leaving the Pop. side a plaintive voice (one of the SpottyMob) could be heard squeaking 'You should be encouraging the lads, not booing them'. Faith meets reality.
Incidentally, I noticed Gilbert for a few seconds shivering on the touchline before the match.
What can be done? We need a clearout. Players who served the club in the Conference have long reached the end of their sell-by date. Money MUST be spent on a creative midfielder and a decent forward TO PLAY TWO UP FRONT with Howe. God save us all.[/quote]

Change the funkin record! No matter what the year and no matter what the football position of the team or standing of the club, you persist with alarming regualarity with this catatonic 'we're all dooooomed' internet whine, as always accompanied by your tally of the years you've turned up at Plainmoor and a pop at anyone younger than you.

Here's the news: archetypal fourth division club loses in the FA Cup to a non-league side. And not for the first time. Otherwise, club is in the healthiest position it's been in years.

Tschüß![/quote]

I like this FF! :-D Are you Austrian by any chance? =D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Would have been home to Hastings OUCH !!
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

Dutchgull wrote:Would have been home to Hastings OUCH !!
I was looking out for Harrogate too - it was like the bit in Bullseye when Jim Bowen says "look at what you could have won"...
YellowM25
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by YellowM25 »

Somewhat galling that harrogate draw Hastings, safe passage to round 3 for a non league team. Maybe now we will regret the seeming lack of effort.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I was looking out for Harrogate too - it was like the bit in Bullseye when Jim Bowen says "look at what you could have won"...[/quote]

:lol:

To be fair i'd rather have a speedboat than a tie against Hastings! ( oh and chuck in a bendy bully too and i'm away!!! )
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

On the bright side, Dorchester are currently leading 10 man Argyle 1-0.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Argyle losing to Dorchester would dull the pain a little. Come on Dorchester!!! Good to see that dirty Bu**er Hourihane has been sent off too, he should have got a red card when Argyle came to Plainmoor earlier this season.

Full time, my pain is down by 10%. Well done to Dorchester.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

That softens the blow a little!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, but the major difference is Plymouth managed to string together more than 2 passes, and even forced the Dorchester keeper to make a save..now only if we had done that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I watched the Plymouth game to be fair they were unlucky to have a man sent off early in the game and I will admit Plymouth didn't look that much better than us, but they did put together some nice moves and did force a couple of decent saves from the Dorchester keeper.

We couldn't pass the ball 3 yrds putting several short lay offs straight out for a throw in to Harrogate, yes we got close, yes we missed 2 open goals, other than that we didn't force the Harrogate keeper to make one save , however like you say time to move on now, and lord I hope your right and we do put things right up at Barnet.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Don't bet on Harrogate getting an easy passage to round 3. Hastings were superb at Bishops Stortford yesterday. They didn't start well, but once they got going I was really impressed with how they passed the ball, and how they managed to make a 4-5-1 work with a little guy up front rather than a big target man.
TheNeil30
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Martin Ling

Post by TheNeil30 »

austrianandygull wrote:Torquay kick off their FA Cup journey with a home game against North Yorkshire bumpkins Harrogate Town and if we aren't in round 2 come 5 o'clock saturday then you can kiss my face! :Z . Of course we HAVE been here before haven't we? November 2005 when the part timers from the quintessentially northern spa town came to Plainmoor and got a 1-1 draw. I was at the replay that night at Wetherby Road where we were fortunate and sneaked through on pens. So it's the FA Cup and against a team who have nearly left us with strawberry blancmonge on our faces once before so we cannot underestimate them. That said, they are s*it, they are part timers, they are non leaguers and they are from Harrogate so we SHOULD be punishing them at home anyway.

Our opponents currently sit in 13th place in the Conference North on 15 points from 10 games and are 16 points off leaders Chester FC although they do have 2 games in hand. They are fairly tight at the back but we should be able to break them down with a scintillating attacking display. I sincerely hope we get at them from the off because teams like Harrogate of limited ability and playing a league side are going to dig in and battle hard and if we start this game lethargically we could be in for an upset. No doubts in my mind. We know they are going to come and compete and if we slack off we are going to be in trouble, conference north or not. To be honest i'd rather be playing Hyde because at least they have quite a few ex league players that we know something about about. Apart from former Derby midfielder Adam Bolder who played in the premier league, defenders Dave Merris ex-York and Matt Bloomer ex-Lincoln amongst other clubs they are unknowns. Just a note but anyone remember that annoying time wasting tosser Macc keeper Jose Veiga? Well he was released by Macc in the summer and signed up for Harrogate and up until their last three games he had been playing for them but i don't know what has happened to him. The Harrogate website doesn't include him in their player pages anymore. Weird.

Anyway, a brief and uneventful thread this week but rest assured, any replay up in Harrogate will recieve my utmost attention!!! Can't be arsed to do a Harrogate line up last time out as most of them you won't have heard of but the last game they played before knocking out Hyde was Hyde in the first game as their game against Corby the following weekend was called off.

I'm going for a 2-0 scoreline to us with Rene and Manse netting for us. A desperately small crowd looks likely too now that Torquay have confirmed it will be full price on the day.

The ref for this one is Mr Wayne Barratt, his glamourous assistants Mr William Bull and Mr Mark Derrien and the 4th official is Mr Andrew Bennett.
That will teach you to be such a smart arse. Your negative comments gave us all the ammunition and motivation we needed to come to your place and win.

By the way, just a thought. You hadnt been beaten at home, but a bunch of country bumpkins who you were expecting to beat 4, 5-0 have just turned you over 1-0, and just to add...in our last 30 fixtures, we have been beaten only 4 times.
TheNeil30
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Martin Ling

Post by TheNeil30 »

brucie wrote:Bloody hell - team of part timers, who had to play extra time on Wednesday night - they now face a nice long trip to Plainmoor and have to play again on what will surely be a nice heavy pitch.
Sure they will be up for it but lets face it they will be blowing out their arses come quarter past four or so on saturday. If Howe,Bodin and co cannot get past this lot we might as well jack it in.
A gilt edge chance to get to round 2 if ever there was one.
Haha. You are such a joke, and even your other forum fans are taking the piss. By the way, the time you read this, you will be aware that that bunch of part timers who would be blowing out of their arses at quarter past 4 have just beat you 1-0.

Howe, Bodin and Co couldnt get past us, neither could your strikers hit a barn door with a banjo. What made our players so fired up and wanting to beat TUFC was all the negative comments from so-called fans, and Austrian Andy Gull in particular.

Oh, and just to add, we drew Hastings Utd, who will we treat with the respect they deserve. Unlike some of the negative comments on here.