Exeter V Torquay 21st April 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Having thought about the commitment the fans that went yesterday showed to the club I am slightly coming round to revising my beliefs on not bothering to go anymore due to what I perceived as 'nobody giving a shit at the club'.

Those fans that went yesterday deserve free pints also because they actually were prepared to put themselves in a position that could have meant another embarrassing capitulation on the pitch against our nearest and dearest, Greasers gloating and chanting at them as they were sending us down for definite and also that they had secured their league 2 status. They were prepared to accept all this for the sake of TUFC and having thought about it a bit I'm a bit ashamed that I urged people to not go to anymore games.

When the Exeter goal went in then Gawd knows what must have been going through those fans minds. I was bloody livid and I wasn't even there! I had accepted another defeat and another inept performance the moment that goal went in and I'm sure as did most of you that went yesterday. In fact I might have even just left the ground after the goal if I'd have been there and I've not done that ever.

Ok so it's the nearest away game of the season but given all the circumstances fans still risked it and it paid off. I had said they needed their heads testing and maybe they did but they also never gave in and even when those fans trudged into that desolate place already expecting a shit defeat they still did it regardless because they support Torquay.

I fully understand why anyone who stayed away did so and it's not a problem, I would have done the same but perhaps next time - no matter how appalling our managers / players / situation is then I shall try and get to ever game I can regardless. It's about putting out of your mind any hatred or annoyance and being there when everyone else appears to have given up. I can't promise anything but next time should we be in a situation like this again I must remember this Exeter game as the inspiration to make me make the effort.

Bloody massive well done to those who went and I can't say anymore than that really.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

ferrarilover wrote: Because the only people booing were those stupid enough to genuinely believe that CH wasn't acting on information that they didn't have. This is the trouble with morons, they don't realise they're morons until someone points out to them the glaringly obvious.

CH's choice at the end of that match was yank Shaq for 10 minutes and have him for the rest of the season, or leave him on and lose him for a month. But, of course, no one in the crowd knew that. Those of us with triple digit IQs worked it out in about three nanoseconds, those who drag their knuckles along the ground and have foreheads which keeps the rain off their shoes booed. I find it's a nice way to see who to avoid in the pub after the game.

Matt.
:goodpost:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: :goodpost:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Just watched the highlights - two good goals for Torquay. Well struck free-kick by Cameron and Yeoman certainly took his goal well, shooting nice and early.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Vet kind of an Exeter fan to post this video of Cameron's free-kick. Looks even better from this angle.

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: When the Exeter goal went in then Gawd knows what must have been going through those fans minds. I was bloody livid and I wasn't even there! I had accepted another defeat and another inept performance the moment that goal went in and I'm sure as did most of you that went yesterday. In fact I might have even just left the ground after the goal if I'd have been there and I've not done that ever.
You're dead right, Andy. At half time, we were 1 - 0 down due to a defensive error after having most of the play but we hadn't had ONE SINGLE EFFORT ON TARGET !! Ring any bells ?? There was something like a dark cloud over the Away End (or should I say the excuse for an Away End - dreadful) at Half Time. We were down and out. But you know what? Even when things weren't going well, the fans who were there got behind the team. And of course when Courtney's stunning free kick hit the back of the net (strong candidate for goal of the season), the gloom was lifted and the team responded. Even if we hadn't won, I think it was the most entertaining game of the season - that and the home game against Portsmouth. As I posted earlier, the ref had a very good game. Don't know who he was but if we'd had refereeing of that standard at some of our other games, we might not be where we are.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

tomogull wrote: You're dead right, Andy. At half time, we were 1 - 0 down due to a defensive error after having most of the play but we hadn't had ONE SINGLE EFFORT ON TARGET !! Ring any bells ?? There was something like a dark cloud over the Away End (or should I say the excuse for an Away End - dreadful) at Half Time. We were down and out. But you know what? Even when things weren't going well, the fans who were there got behind the team. And of course when Courtney's stunning free kick hit the back of the net (strong candidate for goal of the season), the gloom was lifted and the team responded. Even if we hadn't won, I think it was the most entertaining game of the season - that and the home game against Portsmouth. As I posted earlier, the ref had a very good game. Don't know who he was but if we'd had refereeing of that standard at some of our other games, we might not be where we are.
The ref was Roger East and has refed a lot of premier games and also was the ref at plainmoor against Plymouth (I think)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:Agree with most things you've said Tomo but a little harsh on Craig as when was he last selected. I felt like you he was lost for about the first twenty minutes but was gradually getting into the game and Benyon should have finished off Craigs curling cross late in the first half when it looked easier to score.
Coulthirst may have been more effective in the middle but your right the Exeter central defenders could not handle marking two central strikers second half.
The problem now is does Chris start with the team he finished with as the next game will be a totally different ball game.
I did say that Nathan's lack of impact on the game could be put down to lack of match practice. As you say, when did he last play in a competitive match? To be honest, I thought he was poor all half. I thought the cross, and a good cross it was, was from Cargill but I'll accept it was from Craig - your eyesight is no doubt better than mine ! I think Nathan Craig should have been played much more this season. I remember a match we won !!! - can't remember who it was against - and Nathan had a great game. Knill hugged him as he came off the pitch at the end ...... and then promptly dropped him for the following match !
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes two good goals. Yeomans goal was excellent - he had a lot to do but took it excellently. Just the sort of goal that we havn't been scoring all season.