Morecambe v Torquay United - 20/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Brilliant day out. Very harsh comments really. Howes's booking was innocuous but deliberate? - come on. Its one of those things. he has held his discipline well over the last few weeks. For once we actually got some luck in a game.
However lets not forget that their red card had nothing to do with luck. Benyon did the centre half prior to the red card for which he recieved a yellow and repeated the dose for the sending off. He looked clean through on goal at the time so no luck there - our good play bought about the man advantage.
Don't forget we put a hell of a lot into Tuesday's game and we looked a little leggy. A couple of scares in the second half but we looked increasingly dangerous as the game went on.
We actually ran out easy winners in the end.
Disappointing that a couple of London area clubs seemed to have been "given points" today but we must remember what the situation would have been like had we not have won and what a massive result it was.
Would any of us have taken the position we are in now before the Barnet game? - I think so. The notion that York will play out a draw is probabloy fanciful. Northampton will not want another home defeat going into the play offs having lost the last one.
Penalties,red cards,mental officials and League 2 players under pressure - there would have to be a lorry load of thinhgs going wrong next week for the worst to happen.
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

totally agree with brucie about the harsh comments.....i was beginning to wonder if i was at a different game !!! i thought each and everyone of the lads battled ( especially the back four.... and yes i am including nicholson and oastler) and had their hearts on their sleeves. a good win, some good play and could've scored more with better finishing. well done lads
sam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: downes

Post by sam »

A good day all round I would say. The fans were in great spirit and the Gulls deserved their win. Didn't think Morecambe posed that much of a threat even before the sending off and we won many 50/50 balls, something which had been lacking a couple of months ago. The team worked and harried, good to see a resurgence in the fighting spirit. Bodin was pretty ineffective though, what a shame. I was really annoyed at Howe getting booked so needlessly, what a complete idiot. He has let the club and supporters down and will now not be available for one of our most important games. I like Rene but recently he has had a lack lustre time anyway so perhaps this is the time for Yeoman etc to fill the void. I was impressed with Simon Baker who was there to hand out the £5 vouchers and then stand with us all cheering on the Gulls. One point needed, It is going to be a good day next Saturday I'm sure. 6 of us have booked a table for a celebration meal at the local pub at Moreleigh next Saturday in anticipation.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Oh no Sam !!
sam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: downes

Post by sam »

Dutch, Ye of little faith. Remember where you heard this first, it will be 0-0 on Saturday, another legendary prediction. OK I messed up with the Harrogate cup game but I deserve another chance. After this Morecambe display I am very confident, Yeoman in for Howe will be an improvement. Yes a 0-0 draw, sell me the winning draw ticket, the green slime to get relegated - all will make for a perfect end to the season.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

In the Football League Paper there is a weekly column for a player to select their Dream Team. After watching our first goal yesterday I thought I'd share this:
Step forward Stewart Drummond, Morecambe mid-fielder who today selects his Dream Team goalkeeper, yes you've guessed it - Barry Roche - picking him for the following reasons: 'his consistency as a shot stopper. He's just a real rock at the back and that's reassuring for the whole team'. But not when you give him a back pass eh Stewart?! :clap:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Really enjoyed the day out actually. Missed the opening goal though as I'd got my phone out to check the scores! Class goal by Yeoman though.