NEW: v Northampton Town - GAME ON!!!!

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

While I agree with some things said after tuesdays game some peoplehave been very quick to have a go at ch, he has had 4 games and has won 2 and already people question his tactics, ok he he is going to make mistakes and im sure he will be first to admit that, but please lets give him some time, I can already see people starting to have a go, this bloke was a legend as a player and hopefully will be as a manager, even if we do get dumped into the conference he needs to be given achance to turn it around. Its nots his fault we are in this mess lets not forget that and he will make mistakes as im sure we all do in our own jobs. We have to stick by jesus. :bow:
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

nickbrod wrote:Tuesday's gone and we move on. I'm surprised how little has been said about Knill's return. He clearly must have had a big influence on Northampton's tactics. He kept, I suppose not surprisingly, a low profile in the away dugout during the game.
Interestingly at the end of the match he walked off the pitch with arm round shoulder and deep in conversation with Anthony O'Connor.
Why were we so flat and not up for the fight? Team selection poor, substitutions poor and tactics questionable. Chris H is on a steep learning curve.
Indeed we do move on but in which direction remains to be seen. CH is definately on a steep learning curve and hopefully he has now learnt not to change a winning side to accomodate his old mate. I didnt get to Plainmoor on Tuesday night but was at Portsmouth and witnessed us defending like Trojans. If Tonge was injured on Tuesday, then unlucky but if he was dropped there is no excuse for bad team selection after what was an excellent away win and what became a terrible home defeat.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its not his fault we are in this mess but he is the manager now and he has to get us out of trouble. Sorry but he picked the wrong team on Tuesday night. We won't avoid the conference playing Nicholson and Mansell at full backs. One would presume Tonge was injured otherwise that was an awful decision. Other than that he should have played O'Connor at right back.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

teeboo100 wrote:rudge seamed to have signed because a of a personal friendship between man united under 21 manager and chris hargreaves it was hailed as a coup however ime sure man u sent him here to get game time as he has not even featured ime sure that man united would think twice about sending anybody else.
This puts a different perspective on the Rudge signing.
(see last paragraph).
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Bod ... story.html
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote:Its not his fault we are in this mess but he is the manager now and he has to get us out of trouble. Sorry but he picked the wrong team on Tuesday night. We won't avoid the conference playing Nicholson and Mansell at full backs. One would presume Tonge was injured otherwise that was an awful decision. Other than that he should have played O'Connor at right back.
It certainly is not his fault. It is the fault of the players, and unfortunately he has got just about the same set of players to work with as Alan Knill. I would go further than you when you say Mr Nicholson and Mr Mansell should not play again at full back. Long service medals, gold watch, and free bus pass can be collected at reception on the way out. Alarm bells rang for me when it was announced on his appointment that CH had negotiated that he would still be the manager if we were in the Conference next season. CH is no fool. He realised what he has got to work with, and having realised that knew he could lose his new job within 4 months if his future lay in their hands. Crafty old bugger. Mind you with the squad we have now I do think we could manage 12th to 14th in the Conference Premier! ;-)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

stefano wrote: It certainly is not his fault. It is the fault of the players, and unfortunately he has got just about the same set of players to work with as Alan Knill. I would go further than you when you say Mr Nicholson and Mr Mansell should not play again at full back. Long service medals, gold watch, and free bus pass can be collected at reception on the way out. Alarm bells rang for me when it was announced on his appointment that CH had negotiated that he would still be the manager if we were in the Conference next season. CH is no fool. He realised what he has got to work with, and having realised that knew he could lose his new job within 4 months if his future lay in their hands. Crafty old bugger. Mind you with the squad we have now I do think we could manage 12th to 14th in the Conference Premier! ;-)
Let the manager get on with the job there seems to be a witch hunt on loyal players. All the managers over the last few years have selected these players even when times were better.
A manager is not going to put personal friendship before his job and if Chris had any sense he would have already have told the players that when he took the job.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Saw this on the Cobblers fan forum. I had to laugh.

The Torquay forum is always hilarious reading. I log on occasionally due to the rather sad pathetic lifestyle that I lead, and they are always moaning about referees and how the opposition team are dirty. They never seem able to accept that they can lose a match fairly.

I have to admit though that that 'ferrarilover' guy has a deep, burning hatred of the Cobblers and it's rather difficult to know why. He's always on about us. It's rather entertaining though!

Such a shame his evening was spoiled rum. Made me chuckle.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

arcadia wrote: Let the manager get on with the job there seems to be a witch hunt on loyal players. All the managers over the last few years have selected these players even when times were better.
A manager is not going to put personal friendship before his job and if Chris had any sense he would have already have told the players that when he took the job.
Yet you were happy to join in the undoubted witch hunt against Mr Knill as it suited your own agenda. Pot / kettle and all that. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! We'd never have a forum if that were the case. "Let the manager get on with the job" is an absolute hoot. Only if the manager suits you you should have added!

Yes loyal players. Have given sterling service. They cannot go on forever and particularly in our position when they are costing us games. Mr knill had identified that and was ready to ease two of them out of the door in January. Hopefully they would have gone with the thanks of the fans for what they contributed to the history of our club and also hopefully with contracts that suited them at new clubs. It is frankly ridiculous to assert that they should be in the team because all previous managers had selected them. That argument could apply to any regular player who has come to the final chapter of his career at any level of the game. Gary Lineker would never have been left out of the England team were that the case and would be packing his boots in his bag for Brazil. I have posted very little on the subject but have recognised the problem all season .... and my personal opinion is certainly not a witch hunt but if other people who I have never met have also formed the same opinion as me then perhaps it is worth considering that the view may have some credence.

Still, what would you know? You were only a manager. We talk about managers on here not with them! ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Stefano,

Negativity doesn't suit you. Come back to the happy, rose tinted side - it's so much better ;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Stefano,

Negativity doesn't suit you. Come back to the happy, rose tinted side - it's so much better ;-)
Don't worry SB when Saturday morning comes I will be anticipating stuffing Chesterfield 3-0 away. That is Saturday morning for me always. I always think we are going to win and I always think we will win by a good margin. Nobody would ever believe this is my 51st season following this club!

Now that CH is Torquay manager he has my support (although I think he was mad to take the job given what he has to work with!). I do though have opinions about players which I normally keep to myself (if you trawl back through my posts you will find I have rarely raised any criticism about individual players or team selections).

However with no sign of getting out of the bottom two and no wish to return to the Conference, I occasionally get provoked into saying something when I see the same players costing us points that we can ill afford to lose.

So yes. Positive. Ermington in the South Hams has a far more impressive crooked spire than Chesterfield and we will have a far more impressive and potent forward line than Chesterfield at the weekend!

Nurse! ..... have you got any more of those little yellow pills please! ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Stef, who knows what goes on in arcadia world. Now bringing the conversation back in to the real world, totally agree with everything you've said above, and share the same sentiment, Chris Hargreaves has my full support, same as everyone else, but like you don't want us to go down, but asked a question at work last night by a Gillingham fan, can Torquay stay up, my answer after Tuesday night for the first time, was, I am not sure, really not sure.

This whole thing about player loyalty is just bollocks in my opinion, Robin Stubbs was a good loyal servant, apparently ( before my time) knew where the goal was as well, maybe we should offer him a 1 year deal. Tuesday night O'Connor and Pearce were time and time again being pulled out position to cover the full back position , Manse to be fair isn't a full back never was, and my message to Nicho is simple, I, and everybody knows you love this club and have yellow blood, time to stand up be a man, make the decision easy for CH and stand aside. Twice we conceded because of a left back that can't run, even his dead ball and crosses of gone to rat shit, just about every cross didn't beat the first man, and most of his corners went straight down Duke's throat.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

stefano wrote: Yet you were happy to join in the undoubted witch hunt against Mr Knill as it suited your own agenda. Pot / kettle and all that. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! We'd never have a forum if that were the case. "Let the manager get on with the job" is an absolute hoot. Only if the manager suits you you should have added!

Yes loyal players. Have given sterling service. They cannot go on forever and particularly in our position when they are costing us games. Mr knill had identified that and was ready to ease two of them out of the door in January. Hopefully they would have gone with the thanks of the fans for what they contributed to the history of our club and also hopefully with contracts that suited them at new clubs. It is frankly ridiculous to assert that they should be in the team because all previous managers had selected them. That argument could apply to any regular player who has come to the final chapter of his career at any level of the game. Gary Lineker would never have been left out of the England team were that the case and would be packing his boots in his bag for Brazil. I have posted very little on the subject but have recognised the problem all season .... and my personal opinion is certainly not a witch hunt but if other people who I have never met have also formed the same opinion as me then perhaps it is worth considering that the view may have some credence.

Still, what would you know? You were only a manager. We talk about managers on here not with them! ;-)
It took Knill till November to find out that we were playing to open and yes he identified a couple of positions that were costing us but we have nothing any better as Cruise is not good enough. It could be that Cooper will be, as Chris is not signing good players and not play them. I did not say loyal players should play. They only play if the manager thinks their the best he's got for that position. O'Conner needs to sort himself out as he's doing to much on the ball for a centre half, it's not just the older players that need to look at their game.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Crusie is younger, fitter, more energetic, can run, quicker, agreed he's no better all round than Nicho, but all those qualities are the reason why he should be playing a head of Nicho. Northampton had such a simple game plan, put Hackett on Nicho and will/ did reap the rewards.

And what's the problem with O'Connor, having a centre back, who is comfortable on the ball and can pass out from the back, instead of just whacking up field in hope, is a real plus point, not a negative.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Crusie is younger, fitter, more energetic, can run, quicker, agreed he's no better all round than Nicho, but all those qualities are the reason why he should be playing a head of Nicho. Northampton had such a simple game plan, put Hackett on Nicho and will/ did reap the rewards.

And what's the problem with O'Connor, having a centre back, who is comfortable on the ball and can pass out from the back, instead of just whacking up field in hope, is a real plus point, not a negative.
There is nothing wrong with a player comfortable on the ball but there is a time and place and you can see that he's still learning and is more suited to fulback at the moment in his career at the standard he's playing. He's taking to many chances.