Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:Don Mills 10th! Never. We'll be seeing Robin outside the top three next.
Yes Don Mills was my number 1 and I believe rightfully so. Robin Stubbs (not featured yet) was my number 2 and Sammy Collins (already featured) was number 3. The thread title was 'top 100 TUFC players', and as I knew that the history of the club did not start when I watched my first game 2 of those 3 I did not see play for the club. Robin started playing for us when I started watching so have many memories of the goals he banged in for us. Sam Collins was well behind my time but how the all time club record goalscorer can be left out of anybodys top ten escapes me. Don I did see play in his testimonial match which was in my first season of watching 1963, he was also my youth and reserve team coach a few years later at Plainmoor, and I played with him several times and against him just the once (a charity game when he was a Traffic Warden in Torquay and he must have been in his mid 50's). Still showed those silky skills and sweet left foot though. Always kept himself extremely fit and when he was a Traffic Warden he used to run up and down those steep steps off Fleet Street when on duty to keep up his excercise regime! I think he had only just reached 70 mind when he passed on, which certainly makes mortality hit home.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Well, I based it on players that I have seen - whilst it is a list of the top 100 players (albeit, not quite 100), I felt I couldn't pick players I have never seen play. Just my opinion though.

Also, how would I be able to rate Don Mills above Robin Stubbs, but below Sammy Collins, for example, having never seen them play and therefore being unable to justify their placings?
I'm happy to acknowlege their greatness at the club, and allow those that saw them the chance to pick them.

Of course, if more of the "oldies" had voted (Wivel for eg), the list may have been more interesting than it already is....

:)

PS Stefano - where's the ;-) - doesn't feel like a Stefano post without it.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Well, I based it on players that I have seen - whilst it is a list of the top 100 players (albeit, not quite 100), I felt I couldn't pick players I have never seen play. Just my opinion though.

Also, how would I be able to rate Don Mills above Robin Stubbs, but below Sammy Collins, for example, having never seen them play and therefore being unable to justify their placings?
I'm happy to acknowlege their greatness at the club, and allow those that saw them the chance to pick them.

Of course, if more of the "oldies" had voted (Wivel for eg), the list may have been more interesting than it already is....

:)

PS Stefano - where's the ;-) - doesn't feel like a Stefano post without it.
It wasn't appropriate as the last sentence was about the death of somebody ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Into 9th place then, is a man who's career was played at a level much higher than United, but yet still remains fondly remembered by Gulls fans. It's…

9. Neville Southall - 33 points

Time spent at club: 1998-2000
Gulls Appearances: 53
Gulls Goals: 0

Just edging out Don Mills by a single point is a goalkeeper who played the majority of his career at Everton. Having played for numerous Welsh clubs in his youth, big Nev joined Bury in 1980. After just one season with the Shakers, he moved to Merseyside with Everton for £150,000. Southall became a cult hero at the Toffees, going on to make nearly 600 league appearances for the club. His spell stretched from 1981 to 1998. In all competitions, Southall featured over 750 times for the club which is frankly remarkable. He picked up many winners medals at the club, including European Cup Winners Cup in 1985, two First Division winners medals, two FA Cup winners medals and a Charity Shield winners medal on four occasions. As you can see, Southall was a top class keeper. It wasn't just domestically, either, as Nev went on to make close to a century of appearances for Wales.

Upon leaving Everton in 1998, he joined Torquay, and became the number one for two years. On his Gulls debut, Southall saved a penalty as United beat Hull 2-0 at Plainmoor. He won the clubs Player of the Year in his first season, but injuries meant his second season wasn't as successful. He left in 2000, and has since had a couple of managerial roles at Dover, Hastings and Margate.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: Yes Don Mills was my number 1 and I believe rightfully so. Robin Stubbs (not featured yet) was my number 2 and Sammy Collins (already featured) was number 3. The thread title was 'top 100 TUFC players', and as I knew that the history of the club did not start when I watched my first game 2 of those 3 I did not see play for the club. Robin started playing for us when I started watching so have many memories of the goals he banged in for us. Sam Collins was well behind my time but how the all time club record goalscorer can be left out of anybodys top ten escapes me. Don I did see play in his testimonial match which was in my first season of watching 1963, he was also my youth and reserve team coach a few years later at Plainmoor, and I played with him several times and against him just the once (a charity game when he was a Traffic Warden in Torquay and he must have been in his mid 50's). Still showed those silky skills and sweet left foot though. Always kept himself extremely fit and when he was a Traffic Warden he used to run up and down those steep steps off Fleet Street when on duty to keep up his excercise regime! I think he had only just reached 70 mind when he passed on, which certainly makes mortality hit home.
Don Mills was also my number one - an easy decision. The trouble is that there are not many of us old gits left who can remember him. Many of those who would remember him haven't got access to a computer in their Nursing Homes and many more are too damn busy to vote on here. We've got glasses or keys to search for, or figuring out what bin goes out this week or going upstairs and trying to remember why the hell we're up here.

Note for younger fans - Don Mills did indeed become a Traffic Warden but this was in the days when they were helpful and friendly people, not the sadists who prowl the beat nowadays. I bet that Don never issued a parking ticket. He would be more likely seen showing a driver where to park or helping old dears and Stefano across the road. ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: We've got glasses or keys to search for, or figuring out what bin goes out this week or going upstairs and trying to remember why the hell we're up here.
I found myself upstairs in just that situation only last week. Now I have learned not to panic in such situations. Whether I am standing in front of the fridge, in the garden, or upstairs, I know that all I have to do is go back to where I was before and I will immediately remember what I had gone to do.

So I went back downstairs and as always it worked and I immediately remembered.

I was going to bed ;-)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stefano wrote: I found myself upstairs in just that situation only last week. Now I have learned not to panic in such situations. Whether I am standing in front of the fridge, in the garden, or upstairs, I know that all I have to do is go back to where I was before and I will immediately remember what I had gone to do.

So I went back downstairs and as always it worked and I immediately remembered.

I was going to bed
;-)

;-) :lol: ;-)

Then there is Don Mills. Still a coach at TUFC while I was there as a youth player (way after Stefano's TUFC Western League days ;-) ). What a knowledgeable, likeable man Don was. He probably did those steep steps off Fleet Street to pick up his Herald Express fresh off the printing press. Don had a beach hut at Goodrington, located on the promenade directly beneath Roundham Gardens Walk. When I saw him there, he was like "Mr Chips", he would remember one his "boys".

:bow:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

A very interesting project from Plymouth Gull and most commendable.
However with Don Mills named as number 10 the excel isle has lost its credibility.
I saw Don Mills play from around 1953 until 1960.
I have watched every team since then right up to today.
I have a feeling Alex Russell will be named in the top three.
Of course it's all about opinions but Alex would not be fit enough to lance the great Dons boots.
Don Mills played in the halcyon days of Torquay United when week in week out we were playing the likes,of Southampton, Norwich, Crystal Palace,Ipswich et al.
Mills and Stubbs 1 and 2 no argument!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree totally with Mr. Phipsy.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Correction, sorry. I should say I agree ALMOST totally with Mr. Phippsy as I would put Robin at No.1.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Here's (as far as I know) the only Stubbsy goal in existence:

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Don Mills features in this one and Sammy Collins >

:clap:

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Plymouth Gull wrote:Into 9th place then, is a man who's career was played at a level much higher than United, but yet still remains fondly remembered by Gulls fans. It's…

9. Neville Southall - 33 points

Time spent at club: 1998-2000
Gulls Appearances: 53
Gulls Goals: 0

Just edging out Don Mills by a single point is a goalkeeper who played the majority of his career at Everton. Having played for numerous Welsh clubs in his youth, big Nev joined Bury in 1980. After just one season with the Shakers, he moved to Merseyside with Everton for £150,000. Southall became a cult hero at the Toffees, going on to make nearly 600 league appearances for the club. His spell stretched from 1981 to 1998. In all competitions, Southall featured over 750 times for the club which is frankly remarkable. He picked up many winners medals at the club, including European Cup Winners Cup in 1985, two First Division winners medals, two FA Cup winners medals and a Charity Shield winners medal on four occasions. As you can see, Southall was a top class keeper. It wasn't just domestically, either, as Nev went on to make close to a century of appearances for Wales.

Upon leaving Everton in 1998, he joined Torquay, and became the number one for two years. On his Gulls debut, Southall saved a penalty as United beat Hull 2-0 at Plainmoor. He won the clubs Player of the Year in his first season, but injuries meant his second season wasn't as successful. He left in 2000, and has since had a couple of managerial roles at Dover, Hastings and Margate.
Probably the best player to play for Torquay in terms of ability and career acievement. I loved watching him. I remember him saving two penalties v Rochdale (I think), an amazing performance against Argyle away, and once throwing the ball over the half way line from a throw out.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Trojan 67 wrote:Don Mills features in this one and Sammy Collins >

:clap:

:engflag:
Incredibly, Torquay won the replay 4 - 0. Replays back then used to take place on Wednesday afternoons. Sadly, many grannies died in the days preceding the replay so that lads had to have time off from school to attend funerals ....... :whistle:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Plymouth Gull wrote: Just edging out Don Mills by a SINGLE POINT is a goalkeeper who played the majority of his career at Everton.
See ? If you'd bliddy well voted, Wivel, Don Mills would have been NINTH :@