Politics

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I agree to a great extent with the last few posts; and I know where Andy's coming from, having similarly suffered for most of my life. I would only add that the most successful people are not necessarily those with formal education or talent or ability or privilege, but those with the most energy and the right attitude, knowing what they want in life and having the determination and single-mindedness to apply themselves to achieving their goal, regarding their situation as a springboard rather than a bog from which they cannot extract themselves. Of course, knowing what you want to achieve is not the same thing as knowing what the most important things in life are...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Do kids not read anything anymore? Teenage Gull has just posted "could of been worse". Now, I appreciate the idea that "Could've", if spoken lazily, could sound a bit like "could of", but surely, if one reads even so much as a local newspaper, the phrase "could have" would crop up sufficiently frequently for the truly correct form to be learned?

The only answer I can think of is that TG (and millions of other kids) simply don't read anything at all, so aren't exposed to the true form. It's a similar story to the use of apostrophes and the words "a lot", which seems to be morphing into the single "alot" now.

Madness.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I reckon I am the only person in the world who texts messages the way they are spelled. It does take me 10 minutes to send one mind but I know i'm doing my bit. :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
I generally avoid crowds like the plague.
Now I finally understand why you chose to support Torquay Andy. ;-)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

:rofl:

Haha, it certainly has helped! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Having read back my last post, should probably point out that I'm not singling out TG, just that it was his post which prompted mine.

Matt.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 49131.html

A good reason to not vote for either of these parties too....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

As if we needed another reason not to vote Labour...

Matt.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 49131.html

A good reason to not vote for either of these parties too....

Well that just shows doesn't it that all three parties are indistinguishable.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... icial.html

Exactly why we need OUT. NO TO EU.
The most annoying thing with this is that it will see an upsurge in support for UKIP. Oh deary me.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

ferrarilover wrote:As if we needed another reason not to vote Labour...

Matt.
:-D

I really hope people don't forget who was in charge as our country fell into the mire. Sadly, I think people just like to hear policies that sound nice but simply can't work if they thought about it at all.

Vote labour if you wish, but please don't forget where we went with them on board last time.

And I'm really not a staunch conservative or anything - this is just what I think.

Infact, I'd say my vote is still up for grabs for the election.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's absolutely true that, whatever their rhetoric, our three main political parties are indistinguishable from each other. I read that over half of Australia's foreign trade is with China and Japan, yet nobody there is suggesting that Australia enters into economic and political union with those countries. For us to tie ourselves to Europe in this way is madness. It's time that we in the UK took back control of our own destiny, which is why I shall be voting for UKIP.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totally agree Gullscorer, Danny won't have work hard to convince me, haven't voted in any type of election for a while now, however will be voting UKIP in May.

One thing that confuses me, keep hearing so many people tell leaving the EU would be so bad for British business, so if that's the case why is bloke supporting UKIP...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... lions.html

scaremongers with an agenda trying to keep us in the EU.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's not only the politicians we should be worrying about, but also the anti-democratic actions of unelected officials in the EU and in the UK. Here's an example involving (surprise, surprise) social workers: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... mbers.html