Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Loved Neville Southall when he played for us, an average season or two at the time but just having a goalkeeping legend (yeah, I said it, legend) in a Gulls shirt was extraordinary. It was brilliant to go on match days just to see our keeper. He was nowhere near his peak obviously but still superb, the one handed take the p1$$ catches really stand out. Bloody hated him at Everton because I was a Man Utd fan growing up and he always played a blinder against them, probably played a blinder against everyone. Still gets mentioned on Talksport a lot when the subject of goalkeepers comes up, it often gets said he was the best keeper in the world in his prime.

I remember boxing day at St James vs Excretia and we were 1.0 up with about a minute to go, I was stood slightly to the right of our goal and you could clearly see the foul on Nev, from a corner he was bundled over the line by a bunch of City scumbags and the ball was nodded out of his hands. We were doing our tits. Another game with big Nev really stands out, as mentioned above (not sure who vs) we had a fantastic atmosphere going at Plainmoor (yep, it used to happen), he saved 2 penalties and had a stormer, when he jogged over towards the pop to retrieve a ball they were all doing the :bow: , he waved and the crowd erupted.

So sad when he abruptly left, not even sure why, I just remember that we lost on a Saturday, Nev got blamed for a goal and early the next week he was gone. Im sure Wes Saunders was manager, rumour was that there had been a falling out, but not sure. Such a shock a while later watching a premier league game one Sunday and Nev was in goal for Bradford, they had a keeper crisis with injuries, suspensions etc and Nec who was on the coaching team stepped into the breach. he looked a bit more overweight and the game didnt go well, the manager afterward said he shouldnt have asked Nev to endure that because he wasnt really ready to play and hadnt even trained. The last we saw of him playing.

Nev is definitely one of my favourite TUFC players even though he isnt on my top 10 best, I still am not sure why I didnt pick him (had sleepless nights over it), but I already had a keeper in Kenny Veysey. Nev could easily have been on my list on another day. The best keeper to ever play for us, although not at his best during his time here. I salute you Nev. :bow:

Just a word about Don Mills, another player who I have heard many stories of from our older fans, my father has always rated him as our number one player ever, he will be most perplexed when I tell him Don Mills is at number 10. Dad as a young lad actually played against Don Mills in a local match once, he still tells me the story occasionally now, how great the guy was etc. I must admit there is the argument you can only really vote for who you have seen, but our older supporters who have voted will have seen every player from the way back eras to modern day, so if they say Mills, Collins, Stubbs etc are the best then I will take their word for it and take it that they are probably right.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I can totally understand where you're all coming from regarding the older players, but just to give you some background information…Of the number of lists I received (30ish), only 6 of them included the likes of Mills and so on. I did realise this would cause an issue for some of you who will probably look at this list as a bit of a joke now. Most people (me included) based it on players they had seen play, which is fair enough in my book. While it means that the somewhat older players will be a bit…misrepresented, there isn't a lot else I can do in this sort of thing.

I was thinking about doing another one of these in the future (perhaps Top 50/100 matches) but again no doubt it will cause issues for some as a lot of people won't have seen spectacular games from the 1940's..
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Plymouth Gull wrote: I was thinking about doing another one of these in the future (perhaps Top 50/100 matches) but again no doubt it will cause issues for some as a lot of people won't have seen spectacular games from the 1940's..
It was an excellent idea PlymouthGull and it is a pity that even at school history was regarded as a dull subject.

In respect of top 50 matches .... there would be loads of contenders for the number 2 spot.

There is only one that could possibly make the number 1 spot though. I was there, but a Torquay United supporter would not have had to be there to vote it into top spot such is it's place in the fabric and folklore of the club.

The game at Plainmoor on Saturday 9 January 1965 ;-)
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

There would only be one contender for the WORST result at Plainmoor. Anyhow, Plymouth, keep up the good work. Perhaps more of us oldies should have voted. I didn't see Don Mills but even amongst elderly fans in the 60's they all said he was the best of the lot. He ended up being caretaker of a home for retired teachers near the Big Tree in Paignton.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I must apologize for not voting; I can't think why I didn't. But, yes, Mr. Plymouth has done an excellent job, even if I disagree with most of the results.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Fantastic video put up by Mr. Trojan; it's remarkably clear for its age. John Charles ! Whew! I saw him play for Wales vs Hungary and England at Ninian Park in early 1963. Also playing was the great Ivor Allchurch.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

In 8th place is another very recent Gull, and one of the best target men I've had the pleasure of seeing in a United shirt. He wrote his name in the clubs history six years ago. It's…

8. Tim Sills - 44 points

Time spent at club: 2007-2010
Gulls Appearances: 127
Gulls Goals: 41

Tim played for various clubs throughout his footballing career, many of those being in the top level of non-league football. He began his career at Camberley Town, where he scored 29 in 47, earning himself a move to Basingstoke Town in 1999. Three years and over 100 appearances later, Sillsy moved again, to Kingstonian. He spent just one year at Kingsmeadow, averaging just over a goal every two games. Aldershot Town was his next club, where he stayed from 2003-2006. In his time at the Shots, Tim played over 100 times, scoring close to 50 goals. In January 2006 he joined Oxford, but struggled to adapt and so left 6 months later, moving to Hereford. His spell at Hereford wasn't successful either, and a year later Tim moved on again, this time to Torquay United.

This move seemed to revitalise the striker, as he scored around 20 goals in his first two seasons as the club recorded back to back Playoff campaigns, with promotion secured at the second attempt. Over this period Sills had scored some big goals, and also played a part in some controversy - thinking back to St James Park on Boxing Day 2007! Tim was fundamental in the clubs promotion, scoring in the semi-final first leg at home to Histon, before powering in the clubs second goal at Wembley to seal the promotion against Cambridge. That header remains the best header I've seen live I think.

Unfortunately Tim failed to make the step up to League Two football, and was moved on in 2010. He went on to have spells with Stevenage, Rushden and Aldershot again, before returning to Basingstoke. It is now believed that Sillsy plays part time for Weymouth.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

He was certainly at Weymouth when we played the pre-season friendly there; ferrarilover had a long chat with him afterwards. That feels like sooooo long ago now:has the misery this season made time drag ? Incidentally, where is ferrarilover ? Banned or self-exiled ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Self exile.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Tim Sills. Not one of mine but the scorer of one of the most unforgettable goals ever. I was there at Wembley, in line with the cross from Carlisle, saw Tim make a magnificent connection to head it in. Mask and all. Thank you Tim for one of the most memorable goals ever and probably forever etched on the minds of the Gulls fans who were there that day. Not many players can say that.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

samuel wrote:Tim Sills. Not one of mine but the scorer of one of the most unforgettable goals ever. I was there at Wembley, in line with the cross from Carlisle, saw Tim make a magnificent connection to head it in. Mask and all. Thank you Tim for one of the most memorable goals ever and probably forever etched on the minds of the Gulls fans who were there that day. Not many players can say that.
I must have been sat just behind you Samuel cos I was also in line with Carlisle's cross. We were screaming 'cross it, cross it' but Wayne took his time and crossed perfectly and the rest is history. Yes - a goal that will never be forgotten by Gulls fans. :bow: It took us back into league 2 of course - such a shame it was all cocked up last season to take us back into the mire.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed, a fantastic memory for anyone at Wembley on that day. Into 7th place we go, and I dread to think of the backlash this is going to get, but again a sign that the younger generation hugely outweighed the old on the voting front. It's…

7. Robin Stubbs - 64 points

Time spent at club: 1963-1969, 1972-1974
Gulls Appearances: 238
Gulls Goals: 121

I must say I am shocked that Robin finished outside the top three here, but I suppose a lot of people were like me in that they voted for players they have witnessed. Robin's career began at Birmingham in 1958, scoring 17 times over five years for the club. In 1963 he moved to Plainmoor for a then-record fee of £6000. He was in superb form over six years, averaging over a goal every two matches in his first spell at the club. He scored 120 times in 217 games between 1963 and 1969.

Robin moved on to play for Bristol Rovers for a couple of years, making close to a century of appearances in the early 1970's. He returned to Plainmoor in 1972, making 21 appearances and scoring once. Robin recently returned to Plainmoor to help mark the 50th anniversary of the match with Spurs in 1965, in which he scored United's second and third goals in a 3-3 draw in front of over 20,000 at Plainmoor. Stubbs also scored in London as the Gulls went down 5-1 in the replay, a scoreline that doesn't suggest the pattern of the match.

It is clear that, like Sammy Collins and Don Mills, Robin would have been in the top three without a shadow of a doubt if more fans taking part had seen him. Of that I am certain.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

I'll be first with the backlash. A true legend but us oldies must remember that the average age of this forum is .......what? I'm 62, Stubbs, Bettany, Benson et al were great players and even an old git like me missed out on Mills/Collins etc. However, if there was a poll for over 50's Stubbs would be in the top three. So skilful, so cool, so good looking, had everything going for him. The Ross Poldark of Plainmoor. Then Alan Brown sold him. Saw him score 6 goals in a game (against Cheltenham SWCFL) and 5 against Newport. Became a senior county tennis player and has remained in Torquay. A true legend and sometimes it is hard to imagine the abundance of riches that were on display every week in the 60's compared to what we now see. I don't want to be a Victor Meldrew but I just wish forum members could have seen the games we did in that era.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Didn't vote unfortunately,but my number one by a long way.Brilliant striker;skilful,charismatic,unstoppable at times-always fancied us to win when he was playing-to lose when he wasn't.True legend and always a privilege to see him when he visits Plainmoor( I'm still in awe though its over 40 years since he played for us)
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

maybe you should run the poll again Plymouth ! Everybody's waking up & smelling the coffee !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066