Devon Bowl (4/12/2012)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Super, I'm guessing you've seen Baker and Artemi before? Artemi I can take or leave, but Baker has been pretty good in the games in which I've seen him, I was wondering how you view this performance in terms of his whole time here?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

I've seen baker play about 3 times and as I said its only my opinion but do I see him breaking through and playing in the league regularly ? The answer is no.. is he as good as say nial thompson, the answer would be no again. So as we only have a set budget that has to be divided by a certain amount of players I would rather his portion and artemi's go back in the pot for the manager to use elsewhere such as giving Rene a bit more to secure his signature for next year.

I have seen artemi numerous times and as said before he is not a better defensive midfielder than what we already have at the club so realistically I don't see the point.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

There is match highlights here:

Including thompsons brilliant penalty, Martin Rice foul and ME(as assistant referee!)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

How was the most blatant penalty in the history of the game not given?

Matt.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

You raise a valid point, however supporters fail to understand the following:

1. The final decision lies with the referee. If the assistant feels the referee is in a better position then the assistant is; in theory, not allowed to give the decision.
2. Although the decision may have seem clear on the night for you watching; imagine our position, we have to look not only at the player with the ball but any off sides, off the ball fouls etc.

I believe the only way for spectators to find out how hard it really is; and not to moan at officials, is for them to try and referee a game themselves. So yes we all agree it probably should have been a penalty looking back at it now, but that was the decision which we had milliseconds to act upon. It happens and will always happen.

That's just my opinion.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

That's all well and good, Y4, and I'm not really having a go, but surely, SURELY that decision is SO blatantly obvious as to render it impossible to miss? Even if you're looking for offside, handball, pulling, swearing, spitting, headbutting and a million and one other things, a tackle that late and that bad must, surely, be unmissable if you're looking anywhere near the ball?

As it happens, I've qualified as a referee in a number of different sports (including football), so I do know how hard it is (you want to try lacrosse refereeing, nigh on impossible) to get everything right and I do often sympathise with officials where others seek only to criticise. I've never run the line, but I always imagine, in a number of ways, it is more difficult than being the man in the middle.

Matt.