BBC Predictor

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

standupsitdown wrote:Barnet are as bad as us. Beat them next week and it will look much more promising.
Are Barnet as bad as us?

They are two points better off and have the same goal difference.

Their last ten games have yielded 14 points while ours have gathered just 9.

They have lost just one of their last 5, while we have lost our last 3. Since the end of February they have won more games than we have since Christmas and only one less than we have since October.

We have to beat them if we have any chance of staying up but other than York, we are the worst team in this division at present.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Bloody hell. If we don't believe then what hope have we got!!

ANYTHING can happen in the last few games. We could crumble, or we could play out of our skin and get the results we need. One thing we must do is believe we can stay up and give the players the belief and confidence to produce the performances and get the points!! This is the same group of players who were winning games and up near the top of the league at the start of the season!

We are not the worst team in the division, and WE ARE NOT RELEGATED as some of you are suggesting/speaking as if we already are.

We CAN DO IT, and I honestly believe we can stay up. Get fully behind the team for the remaining 270 minutes of the season!!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Knowing how football and fate go hand in hand, it's surely Stanley for one of the spots.

When they dropped out the last time they were replaced by Oxford, when they returned they took Oxford's place back off them.

Who do they play last game of the season?

Oxford.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

hector wrote:

You appear to be perplexed as to why people might be pessimistic and depressed regarding our prospects. Have you looked at the league table? Considered our woeful form? Considered the form of our reminding opponents. All we have is faint hope. The grasping at straws kind. There is no rational reason to conclude that we will take points, other than hope we will. If that is not reason enough to feel pessimistic then what is?
I am not perplexed at all about why people are depressed. I am as depressed as anybody and, yes, I can read league tables. I guess for some folk on here, pessimism is like a comfort blanket, at least they won't be disappointed. For others (e.g. the eternal pessimist Brucie) they comment pessimistically season after season, and yes they will be right sometimes (he has now been proved correct in one out of the last three seasons, what a great record).

The thing is, I don't get why football fans generally love to engage in hand wringing, like Private Fraser from Dad's Army saying "we're all doomed". Optimism, even if it is blind, is better for you, you are happier for more time than you are sad. I am not daft, I feel as let down as any other fan by many of our performances this season and by mismanagement at the club that I love. However, I am determined to keep a modicum of hope until that old bag has actually sung. Then, and only then, should the finger pointing and recrimination start.

I am going on Saturday with some hope (some, not lots). Barnet have had a few good results of late, but they did lose at home yesterday, which is surely a positive sign. There are more twists and turns to come. Even Argyle are not safe, they have three very tough fixtures out of their last four, and the fourth is an away game to Rochdale (3 away games left for a team whose away form is only marginally better than our own awful form, and their home game is Rotherham). We'll see.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I keep doing this with different results but every time it comes up with 52 points being required to stay up, and only then on goal difference. History suggests that most (but not all) teams who need to win their last game to stay up and are playing a team with nothing much at stake, wil indeed win. Also that teams already promoted or safely in the play offs, may fail to win fixtures that a few weeks before they probably would ahve.

I think we have to win two games, but that may not have to include Barnet. A draw with Barnet doesn't mean we're down as winning the last two would probably be enough - but whether that is achievable for a team that wont have won for 4 games is another matter.

My ticket for Bristol Rovers has arrived. Let's hope it's another day like Crewe, Barnet and Boston.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I've worked out based on the results i think will happen and it leaves us, Aldershot and York all on 48 points come the end so we'll scrape through on goal difference.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I did it the old fashined way with pencil and paper and had Wombles and york to go down with us a couple of points ahead of them. Not sure where people think these clubs are getting their points from. Alright, Plymouth have picked up a bit of late, but the games some of our rivals have remaining are just about as hard as it gets. On Saturday, Aldershot play Wycombe away, which is the easiest of the fixtures. Wombles are at home to the side with the best away record in the FL. Plymouth are away to the side with the joint best home record in the FL. York are away to the other side in that conjoinment. Exeter are going for the Playoffs so need the points desperately. Burton and Northampton are both going for the autos so need the points just as much.

We should be getting 50 points this year, 3 on Saturday and 1 from either Morecambe away or Rovers at home (probably the former), that'll be enough. The teams around us are where they are for a reason. None of them has lost their manager or had their talismanic loanee recalled, so they , if anything, are even worse than we are in pure footballing terms. Yes, it's a funny old game, but at some stage, class and ability have to take hold and I'm rather thinking that that stage will be Saturday.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

I should think that everyone's done their own prediction (on paper based on own opinions)... I've got York & Aldershot on 48 and us on 50 BUT that includes a win against Barnet. Form and predicted results have been particually difficult this season, so anything could happen.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

waste of f**king time! :@

who "predicted" that we'd get spanked by bradford?

bl**dy predictor - I know how my mate Emet feels now - This makes my p155 boil! :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bixieupnorth wrote:i've out us to lose all our aways except a point tomor and at home, beat chesterfield, lose to bradford,get draws v york and barnet, leaving us to need a draw v the gas on the last day to be safe but also safe if aldershot york or accrington fail to win that day!! i think i've been very sensible about our results, but am banking on york and aldershot to plummet and argyle and stanley to lose more than they win

shots and york down on the last day, exeter sneak into last playoff spot, gills burton and chelts auto
my predictions from a few weeks ago actually have us two points better off than i thought we'd be, beat york rather than drawing, its just all the others that have done a lot better than us, but largely i think i'm pretty well on track to come out correct!! i bloody well hope so!!

and it looks like burton have well and truly messed up the top end for me! and cheltenham too, but if the balls they showed at argyle are anything to show, then they dont bloody deserve promotion!!

gonna stick with york and shots to go down, and that nerve jangling last day survival!! hope i'm wrong about the draw on saturday tho!!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
who "predicted" that we'd get spanked by bradford?

bl**dy predictor - I know how my mate Emet feels now - This makes my p155 boil! :@
i did super, see my quote above!! clever clogs arent i??!!
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote:
i did super, see my quote above!! clever clogs arent i??!!
bloody smart a*se! :@

well bix, theres always one! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:I did it the old fashined way with pencil and paper and had Wombles and york to go down with us a couple of points ahead of them. Not sure where people think these clubs are getting their points from. Alright, Plymouth have picked up a bit of late, but the games some of our rivals have remaining are just about as hard as it gets. On Saturday, Aldershot play Wycombe away, which is the easiest of the fixtures. Wombles are at home to the side with the best away record in the FL. Plymouth are away to the side with the joint best home record in the FL. York are away to the other side in that conjoinment. Exeter are going for the Playoffs so need the points desperately. Burton and Northampton are both going for the autos so need the points just as much.

We should be getting 50 points this year, 3 on Saturday and 1 from either Morecambe away or Rovers at home (probably the former), that'll be enough. The teams around us are where they are for a reason. None of them has lost their manager or had their talismanic loanee recalled, so they , if anything, are even worse than we are in pure footballing terms. Yes, it's a funny old game, but at some stage, class and ability have to take hold and I'm rather thinking that that stage will be Saturday.

Matt.
Another deliberate error perhaps? :nod:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Certainly was. There are three more in posts from the last week, see if you can spot them all.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote:Certainly was. There are three more in posts from the last week, see if you can spot them all.

Matt.
yeah.

right.

TUST Member 468