Next Weekend

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

There is no point worrying about the other results next weekas its in YOUR hands. Beat us or draw and you are mathematically safe.
As yesterday proved for us it is very difficult to motivate yourself when there is nothing on the result and I would say that you have a much better chance of beating us than say Barnet winning at Northampton. I thought after yesterdays game that had we needed to win that game yesterday then we would have done or at least given a much better performance BUT I wouldn't have swopped our position yesterday for ANY of the teams in the bottom 7. Such is football. Thinking about the 100/1 at the bookies...How often are the bookies wrong? You will be safe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jeff wrote:
Nothing to say we can't go out there and win, which could see us up to 16th place.

That'll make it the dull, mid-table season people expected.........won't it?

"Torquay don't do middle" . . . . . . fact or fiction ?

First, what constitutes "middle" together with "top" and "bottom". Top half and bottom half, suggests correctly, no existence of "middle". Top seven and bottom seven creates the space for "middle". The automatic promotion and play-off positions in League 2 can be considered as "top". Therefore, the "relegation zone"(positions 18 to 24 inclusive can be considered as "bottom".

In conclusion :
positions 1 to 7 inclusive . . . "top".
positions 8 to 17 inclusive . . . "middle".
positions 18 to 24 inclusive . . . "bottom".

Awewight?

QED. ;-)

(note : currently, Bradford are "bottom" of the "top" and Torquay are "top" of the "bottom")

:nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

friendlygas wrote:There is no point worrying about the other results next weekas its in YOUR hands. Beat us or draw and you are mathematically safe.
As yesterday proved for us it is very difficult to motivate yourself when there is nothing on the result and I would say that you have a much better chance of beating us than say Barnet winning at Northampton. I thought after yesterdays game that had we needed to win that game yesterday then we would have done or at least given a much better performance BUT I wouldn't have swopped our position yesterday for ANY of the teams in the bottom 7. Such is football. Thinking about the 100/1 at the bookies...How often are the bookies wrong? You will be safe.

Thanks friendlygas, i needed that to ease the worry.................like you say bookies are rarely wrong. :bow:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Trojan 67 wrote:
"Torquay don't do middle" . . . . . . fact or fiction ?

First, what constitutes "middle" together with "top" and "bottom"? Top half and bottom half, suggests correctly, no existence of "middle". Top seven and bottom seven creates the space for "middle". The automatic promotion and play-off positions in League 2 (positions 1 to 7 inclusive) can be considered as "top". Therefore, the "relegation zone"(positions 18 to 24 inclusive) can be considered as "bottom".

In conclusion :
positions 1 to 7 inclusive . . . "top".
positions 8 to 17 inclusive . . . "middle".
positions 18 to 24 inclusive . . . "bottom".

Awewight?

QED. ;-)

(note : currently, Bradford are "bottom" of the "top" and Torquay are "top" of the "bottom")

:nod:

Since the introduction of the play-offs (1986-87) and up to last season (2011-12), Torquay have completed 26 seasons. Of those seasons, only 6 have been "middle" (9 have been "top" and 11 have been "bottom").

The fact and truth of the matter is, Torquay rarely do "middle".

And these are only the final positions and not a "true and accurate" reflection of where the team fluctuated during any one of those seasons. A recent example of this is the 2009-10 season (first season back in the League from the Conference) when for most of the season we diced with relegation death only to finish with an unbeaten and nil goals against run which saw us rise like a salmon to the giddy heights of "middle" (17th position on 57pts).

Since "two up two down", the highest points total that a team in 23rd place has gone down is 49pts (Oxford, 2005-06), That same season Stockport (22nd), Notts County (21st) and Torquay (20th) all finished with 52pts.

With one game to go, the 23rd team already has 50pts. :O

Here's hoping that the coming weekend sees us finishing where we are this weekend :

TOP OF THE BOTTOM PILE

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Indeed, it's a rare season when Torquay aren't either fighting relegation or going for promotion.

One more thought on next week. I think it's very likely that Wimbledon will beat Fleetwood. It might help if they were a couple up at half time so Dagenham know a draw not good enough for them if Barnet also win, so they won't be inclined to arrange a convenient draw with York.

I honestly think there's a good chance that Wimbledon, Barnet & Plymouth will all win (or Plymouth get a point), so we will reply on there being a winner out of Dagenham & York if we can't get that point oursleves.

My nightmare (I woke up at six this morning thinking about it!) is a 'convenient draw' at Dagenham and us letting in a late goal or two to fail to get the point we need (something like the Exeter play off when with 20 minutes to go we seemed to be sure of getting to Wembley).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

standupsitdown wrote:Indeed, it's a rare season when Torquay aren't either fighting relegation or going for promotion.

One more thought on next week. I think it's very likely that Wimbledon will beat Fleetwood. It might help if they were a couple up at half time so Dagenham know a draw not good enough for them if Barnet also win, so they won't be inclined to arrange a convenient draw with York.

I honestly think there's a good chance that Wimbledon, Barnet & Plymouth will all win (or Plymouth get a point), so we will reply on there being a winner out of Dagenham & York if we can't get that point oursleves.

My nightmare (I woke up at six this morning thinking about it!) is a 'convenient draw' at Dagenham and us letting in a late goal or two to fail to get the point we need (something like the Exeter play off when with 20 minutes to go we seemed to be sure of getting to Wembley).
cant see that scenario happening to be honest.

for a start york will go to (and probably) win and northampton will beat barnet.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Maybe I'm just pessimistic - maybe brought on by all those years of conceding late goals.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

standupsitdown wrote:Maybe I'm just pessimistic - maybe brought on by all those years of conceding late goals.
maybe so.

but what was the score yesterday?

and as I said your results are very unlikely to happen.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I hope you're right - I'm working on the basis that teams needing to win to survive often do - but Torquay are entirely unpredictable!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Like boastful well endowed men :

"It's in our own hands"

;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

standupsitdown wrote:I hope you're right - I'm working on the basis that teams needing to win to survive often do - but Torquay are entirely unpredictable!
thats true - but on your basis then either D&R or York will win the match that's between them!

TUST Member 468

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22245167

Is my Maths cack or have I missed something re Wimbledon?
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

That isn't correct? If we lose and Wimbledon win then they are above us on points- they mean if we get the draw the we have a 16 goal, difference.

Note: we have scored many more home goals this season than any of the other strugglers so it is looking ok!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dave_Pougher wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22245167

Is my Maths cack or have I missed something re Wimbledon?
no dave - someone cant count....... :whistle:

EDIT - i dont think its Alan - by the way its written it looks like another BBC special! :@

AGAIN!!!!!!!!! :@

TUST Member 468

taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Wombles have 50 points; if we lose & they win (& other results go against us, including a Daggers/York draw) we'll go down; if we draw & they win, they'll be saying Cheerio with their gd being worse than ours.If we draw or win, it doesn't matter what the others do! Your maths is fine Dave! COYYs!!!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066