Torquay United v AFC Wimbledon - 3/8/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I should imagine it will be Ball starting over Hawley. Bear in mind that Ball has had a full pre-season, friendlies with Derby wheras it's likely that Hawley has been training alone. Not saying he's not match fit - just not AS match fit as I assume Ball to be
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Fonda wrote:For me...
-----------------------Rice (if Poke unfit)
Tongue------Pearce-------Downes--------Nicholson
Chappel-----Mansell------Harding----------Bodin
--------------------Benyon
--------------------------Ball

Subs:
A keeper (if Rice in the team)
Cruise (could easily be in the side for Nicho)
Lathrope
Craig
Cameron (could easily get the nod ahead of Bodin)
Thompson
Hawley (only fitness see's him start on the bench)

My biggest concern with this formation is Nico and Bodin. Nico appears to have lost a yard of pace and Bodin is not exactly great with his defensive duties. I thought last season this was a particular weakness which was plain to see.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Tongue, is that what we're calling him now? I'd like both kids to start on the wings, I think they're both exciting prospects.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I called him that because I neglected to check the spelling. I didn't just decide it looked better like that.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, then I feel you have stumbled upon a moment if genius. Tonge is a silly name. Tongue, on the other hand...

Matt.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I think Tong is better still. The rest is just wasted effort really.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

What Tong, as in Ting Tong love you long time.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Fonda wrote:I think Tong is better still. The rest is just wasted effort really.
I like the cut of your jib

I've a always admired a man with frugality and efficiency at heart.

Matt.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Laziness is my speciality.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Ridiculously excited about Saturday now. Haven't been to any of the friendlies so unable to assess the progress of our new signings and prodigious youth players although most reports are favourable.

Have been really impressed with not only the quiet efficiency with which Mr Knill has gone about his dealings , but also the calibre of his signings. Was worried when we lost Saah, thought he would be a tough man to replace and the most important to replace properly. Pleased to see that AK took his time and managed to sign a proven player of real pedigree and one with some potential still unfulfilled. Likewise in the striking department, some may see his dealings as brinksmanship but to me he has taken his time to assess his targets and brought in the right men for the job, not necessarily the first available.

He has brought in some solid experienced professionals in vital positions, and some exciting young talent going forward, the squad looks good, certainly stronger than last year. There is a pleasing blend at the club at the moment and hopefully the experienced backbone can help the likes of Chappell, Cameron and Sullivan develop quicker. We shouldn't expect too much too soon of these youngsters because they are bound to be a bit 'raw' but as we all know, having two pacey wingers is a tremendous asset at this level.

Love the new kit, can't wait to see it in all its glory on Saturday. Looks fresh in contrast to the previous monstrosity.

I would start with:-
Poke,

Tonge
Pearce
Downes
Nicholson,

Cameron
Mansell
Harding
Chappell

Bodin
Ball

Yeoman to come on for Ball for the last half hour and make his mark.

Not one for predictions really, top half would suit me fine. Top team in Devon too but that goes without saying.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Rice
Tonge - Downes - Pearce - Nicholson
Chappell - Mansell - Harding - Bodin
Ball - Benyon

Couple of points to be negotiated:

- If Poke is fit, he has to play.
- The defence is pretty set, although the choice between Cruise and Nicholson is a 50/50 decision. I'd personally choose Cruise judging on the form at the back end of last season, but I think Knill will go for Nico.
- Bodin and Cameron is also 50/50, again, I think experience wins here.
- Ball over Hawley as I think he'll play better with Benyon as a partnership, and he's had a full pre-season under his belt playing competitive matches.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I think Nicho will get the nod based on the fact that when it came to the crunch at the back end of last season, when the matches were 'must win' he was preferred to Cruise irrespective of how impressive Cruise was in his little run of games. Nicho's experience is still important and his sweet left peg can still be a potent weapon. Its his position to lose though as Cruise is snapping at his heels. Nicho was below par last season, no doubt about it, but with his contract up at the end of the season he can ill afford to underperform again. He has been asked questions by several left backs in his time here and answered them every single time. Expecting a bit of a renaissance from a true professional. That also applies to several other players here before Knill's 'revolution.' They too are playing for their futures and with Knill being known as a bit of a disciplinarian hopefully it will show in their performances.

I think everyone should start with a clean slate at the start of each season anyway. Its how players perform throughout a 46 game season, and at Accrington in the height of winter that matters, not in the curtain raiser in sunnier climes.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote: I like the cut of your jib

I've a always admired a man with frugality and efficiency at heart.

Matt.

ar*elicker.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Wasn't Cruise only out of the side at the back end of the year due to recovering from concussion or something?

I'd hope that he starts instead of Nico, difficult to tell which way Knill will go on that one. Hoping that he goes for a Benyon - Ball partnership up front, with Bodin and Chappel on the wings
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

yellowforever wrote:Rice
Tonge - Downes - Pearce - Nicholson
Chappell - Mansell - Harding - Bodin
Ball - Benyon

Couple of points to be negotiated:

- If Poke is fit, he has to play.
- The defence is pretty set, although the choice between Cruise and Nicholson is a 50/50 decision. I'd personally choose Cruise judging on the form at the back end of last season, but I think Knill will go for Nico.
- Bodin and Cameron is also 50/50, again, I think experience wins here.
- Ball over Hawley as I think he'll play better with Benyon as a partnership, and he's had a full pre-season under his belt playing competitive matches.
Bingo. Agree with every word.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."