If only we had a keeper like Argyle's

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

tufcgiants wrote:Thread was never meant to be a Rice bashing, just meant to point out I wish we had a keeper as commanding/confident/quality as McCormick.

Rice is alright.
Hearing you loud and clear giant. I just think that goalkeeper is the very last position we should be worrying about at the moment. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I wish we had a striker like Robin Van Persie. Yeah, lovely sentiment and all, but not really much of a conversation starter.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Er.. yea if only we had a murderer in goal ... lets not forget how well Ricey has done for us this season. Also i'd rather we didn't look at the neighbors longingly at their fantastic keeper when we have much more pressing issues at hand - Our keeper is the least of our worries at the moment ... forget the scum, support the unsung hero
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

they can keep mcCormick as far as im concerned, and as for ricey he has done a great job this season and deserves credit for the way he has stepped up, well done martin. :bow:
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Rice has been exceptional this season, has kept the score down in many of our showings this seasons, I am struggling to think of too many mistakes he has actually made, certainly none which would have cost us the match. He has also produced one or two world class saves that few league two keepers would be able to make. I am extremely happy with Ricey in goal and have every confidence in him as it happens. Hope it will take an injury in order for Poke to win his place back.

McCormick is an excellent keeper, gave a commanding performance of catching under pressure on Tuesday night, its fair to say he is playing far under his station. Would I want a championship standard goalkeeper in our team? Of course I bloody would, but lets not fool ourselves, Plymouth have McCormick on the basis of circumstance, not because of their footballing merits.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

bengull wrote:Rice has been exceptional this season, has kept the score down in many of our showings this seasons, I am struggling to think of too many mistakes he has actually made, certainly none which would have cost us the match. He has also produced one or two world class saves that few league two keepers would be able to make. I am extremely happy with Ricey in goal and have every confidence in him as it happens. Hope it will take an injury in order for Poke to win his place back.

McCormick is an excellent keeper, gave a commanding performance of catching under pressure on Tuesday night, its fair to say he is playing far under his station. Would I want a championship standard goalkeeper in our team? Of course I bloody would, but lets not fool ourselves, Plymouth have McCormick on the basis of circumstance, not because of their footballing merits.
:goodpost: One of the best posts I've ever seen written on here, and one some who have replied above would do well to read.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just to add to that, I find some of the posts on this thread bizarre, everyone is entitled to their opinion I respect that, but I seriously think some opinions are based on such a complete lack of understanding of one, goalkeeping and two, professional football coaching.

Paul Buckle never made any secret of the fact he asked the 6ft-6in Scott Bevan to stay on his line, Buckle is not the only manager at any level that operates that way, as Royalgull points out with his height it probably is the case he has been told to stay back and let defenders deal with high balls in, prime example is Joe Hart, look how many goals for both England and Man.C he has conceded that he would have saved all day long if he stayed at home so to speak.

Is there any thing wrong with Martin Rice's confidence, no, his performance Tuesday was very confident, and one of a competent League 2 goalkeeper, there is so much more to commanding an area than just coming for a cross, communication with the back four, knowing when to come and when to stay back, and the important thing is not just coming the line, it's the speed the keeper comes, also part and parcel of commanding your area is a keeper having the ability to act as a sweeper, receiving the ball from one full back and passing it out to the other, was know as a 'tick'.

Ricey got of his line more than once Tuesday to deal with the danger, and always makes himself an option to receive the ball as any keeper should, his kicking and distribution massively improved as well, does have his off days, but then who doesn't.

I would like to congratulate Martin Rice, you can have the best coach money can buy, if the player doesn't have the right attitude and be prepared to work hard, the player will not improve, Martin Rice is now 10 times the keeper who we let go, also like to congratulate Kenny Veysey who has a fantastic job with Ricey.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

forevertufc wrote:I would like to congratulate Martin Rice, you can have the best coach money can buy, if the player doesn't have the right attitude and be prepared to work hard, the player will not improve, Martin Rice is now 10 times the keeper who we let go, also like to congratulate Kenny Veysey who has done a fantastic job with Ricey.
I would also add congratulate Alan Knill for his faith in Rice. Credit where credit's due.. :-D