Joss Labadie - Accepts 10 game Ban

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Stupid actions by Labadie but who hasn't made a mistake when they are young. It wasn't premediated, its just one of those things. The other bloke probably had him round the throat or something.
I am not defending biting at all but lets be honest the other players "injury" amounted to something that a girl guide would have laughed off.
Is it really any worse than trying to break somebodies leg,headbutting a player or spitting at an opponent - Apparently so becuae the ban just doesn't equate to the other scenarios.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Looking at the video evidence it does appear that Labadie is in a headlock, if he did bite him I guess this is why. It would also explain how the Chesterfield player allowed Labadie to bend down and bite his ribs, were he not forcing Labadie's head in to that position it is difficult to see why he would have bitten him there, assuming he really wanted to bite him at all. It would also explain why the Chesterfield player wanted nothing to do with the FA disciplinary action.
As for sacking him, he (and by extension we (the club)) are still proclaiming his innocence. Would be bad form for the club to back him this far and then turn around and sack him.
As for why he withdrew the appeal. I don't see it as an act of guilt. More the problem with the man who would be representing him playing for Chesterfield and having to implicate and incriminate his club colleague in order to try and get Labadie off (see my above interpretation of the actual event).

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave by mutual consent in the coming week but, if there really is an air of positivity around the club. If Hargreaves really is as positive as he sounds in his interviews and if he likes Labadie the player as much as I suspect he does then I would not be surprised if he has convinced the board to keep him on in the hope he can be offered a new deal to play for us in League Two next season.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Sorry,dispite having your head in a headlock is still no excuse for biting your opponent,it would appear that joss did bite his opponent and that is unexceptible.No boubt that Ladabie is one of the better players to turn out for Torquay but people who cheat,diving,faining injury etc bring the game into disrepute and put our club into the headlines for all the wrong reasons.I can't believe the the club would pay him for doing nothing for the next nine games just so they might sign him for next season,plus I would imagine he already is fixed up somewhere else.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Mav makes a good point which I hadn't considered - a player has to be registered to a club to serve a ban so it's not as simple as just terminating his contract. As Matt says, there is much speculation on this thread and we shall have to wait for the dust to settle for a few days before we find out what the club has decided. As much as I deplore what Labadie has done (allegedly, some may say), I feel a 10 match ban is unnecessarily harsh. You can argue that Suarez received a similar ban for the same offence but he bit with no provocation .... and anyway, he's got bigger teeth than Joss. :rofl: I see Boyd, the Wigan player who spat in Joe Hart's face, has been given just a three match ban. I think spitting should be treated in the same way as biting with players receiving the same length of bans.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

tomogull wrote:Mav makes a good point which I hadn't considered - a player has to be registered to a club to serve a ban so it's not as simple as just terminating his contract. As Matt says, there is much speculation on this thread and we shall have to wait for the dust to settle for a few days before we find out what the club has decided. As much as I deplore what Labadie has done (allegedly, some may say), I feel a 10 match ban is unnecessarily harsh. You can argue that Suarez received a similar ban for the same offence but he bit with no provocation .... and anyway, he's got bigger teeth than Joss. :rofl: I see Boyd, the Wigan player who spat in Joe Hart's face, has been given just a three match ban. I think spitting should be treated in the same way as biting with players receiving the same length of bans.
It's not that I think you're wrong, but can you prove this?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote: It's not that I think you're wrong, but can you prove this?

Matt.
Nope ...... but it seems logical. How can a player miss a game if he's not registered to play ? An interesting one for the anoraks out there ! Oh, and before you say it - nothing is logical in football !!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

If the being registered bit is required for the ban, expect him not to be publicly sacked; quietly 'leave'; formally 'stay'; without anything like his wages, if any; and by agreement. Behind closed doors agreement seems much more logical and acceptable. We're a club that doesn't hang players out to dry; money saved albeit with precious little time left on the loan clock; and he can have a pre-season and start to a season elsewhere. Or something of that ilk. Although I'm as in the dark about the behind the scenes aspect of this as all of us commentating on this thread ought to be. And I've no idea if Mav is right or not.

Personally, I'd have seen it as an opportunity to rip up his former option and try and negotiate another season as he's a good player, but can't see that materialising into something tangible as things stand. Still not sure why Chris Hargreaves used the words he did about the investigation before the date of the hearing. Can't have been a sanctioned wording. The poster who mentioned he works in employment law will know where I'm coming from on that score.

Shame to see Harper has found an acceptable wage with a non-league outfit getting very few through the gate at The Hive.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

ferrarilover wrote: It's not that I think you're wrong, but can you prove this?

Matt.
Parallels with the Anelka story, see here: http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17525 ... ka?cc=5739

As Anelka has been sacked by West Brom they consider he cannot serve his ban as he has no club. Presumably same would apply to Joss if he was also asked to leave.

Maybe that plays in our favour? We obviously don't want to pay a player who can't play because of his own stupidity, and Joss obviously doesn't want to carry a ban with him till next season. Perhaps a mutually agreeable restructuring of his contract, where we pay him a pittance in return for holding his registration and allowing him to serve his ban, would be beneficial for both parties?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Cool, well done Kit. I presume your scenario above involves him signing up with us next season? Otherwise it seems to do absolutely nothing for the club.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Anybody know whether Labitie is still in the building?

I'd hate to see the club dutifully pay his weekly wage throughout his ban, only for him then to ditch us in May. I fully expect that to happen, though.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Interesting article on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27237956

Unfortunately we have been paying 100% of his wages which is a disgrace because I imagine he's on a lot of cash!

Not even had an apology and he'll definitely be off at the end of the season!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

So, he is guilty then.

Let's hope the "internal review" stipulates that he is to be fined ten games worth of wages.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

What a disgrace he is, no doubt he won't care one bit. Good riddance and hopefully any future football club will take note of what he has done.
Lucy
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Sadly just another bizarre event that has transpired against us this season. I think I've seen this phrase posted quite a few times this season - YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP.

His loss wasn't a major factor in us going down as he had pretty much done piss all when I've seen him this season so I'm not having that but the whole incident certainly didn't help and caused even more chaos and disruption to CH's plans. I have sympathy with Chris for having to deal with the mess this women's organ left behind him when he committed this vile offence.

Bye bye Joss and another one 'bites' the dust who isn't prepared to hold his hands up, try and do the right thing and contribute something back to his employers. I know he got a fine but he should sign for us next season on a reduced salary for one year and vow to do everything in his power to get us back into the football league at the first time of asking. It's not as if clubs will be beating down his door anyway I don't presume.

He'll be another one of these players who are perfectly decent at league 2 level who drops down to the conference to play for some village side in front of 8 fans just because they have a benefactor.

I'm thinking that Rene Howe will end up at Gateshead!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I'd have him back. Doubt that's an option.