Torquay United V Newport County 22nd March 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Ignore Zebs and all the rest of them, and focus on supporting our own team in a positive way. Newport's recent form has been dire, they will not be able to put out their best team on Saturday, and they will be lacking in confidence. It's one of the rare opportunities we'll have this season to score more than two goals in a game, and to put a winning run together. We can win, we must win, and we shall win..
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Zebroski will no doubt score, like he did here for Bristol Rovers and then Cheltenham. However, like Tommy Sermanni's lob inspired win on Boxing Day 1979 and the Lee Sharpe inspired thrashing in the Spring of 88, I hope for a great game and victory.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

To be honest I don't care whether we win by supporting our team in a positive way or by getting on the backs of the opposition or both. The only objective is to win. And I don't care whether Zebs left for more money, just don't paint him as some kind of star who should be revered for his loyalty. And if niggling him gets him sent off then do it. The only thing that matters on Saturday is winning.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Alpine Joe wrote:Matt asks whether he has forgotten a crucial detail with regard to the Zebroski transfer. Certainly there were a large number of Torquay fans very sceptical of the 'family reasons' and 'I don't want to drive so far to training' which Chris gave as explanations for handing in a transfer request, whereas those of us taking a more cynical view surmised that the true reason was that Buckle had probably been in touch and offered him a sizeable pay increase, rather than the line which was being fed to us fans. While that may not rank as a crucial detail, neither do I think it deserves to be ignored completely when recalling the events surrounding the transfer.

If, as Matt says, Zebs left us at the end of his contract, I'm unsure why he needed to hand in a transfer request or why Bristol Rovers would have paid a transfer fee ? Matt knows far more about what happens at the club than myself or most of us, and if he assures us that Zebs gave plenty of notice then that's fair enough, but for the ordinary supporter following the official site or the media, we were only aware of there being 5 days at the most (Thursday to Monday) between the announcement of Zebs requesting to go onto the transfer list and the announcement that we'd accepted an undisclosed fee from Bristol Rovers.

I don't blame Zebs for increasing his wages and reducing his petrol bill by moving to Rovers, but I hope he has one of his poorer games when he returns to Plainmoor on Saturday.
Ahahaha, thanks Joe. As it turns out, I'd forgotten basically all of that and my memory was filling in the blanks with nonsense. The family reasons thing was true, but only conveniently so. Following his "incident", he took to residing with his father in Swindon. I don't know whether this was ordered by probation or the club or whether he made the choice himself, but that was what ended up happening. The truth of the matter does, to my mind, act in mitigation, but since that truth was merely coincidental, that mitigation is of limited effect.

It's right that we got a fee for him and that he requested his transfer, another sign of my appalling memory. He did give the club a chink of warning, that much I do know, so he acted as fairly as I'd want him to in those circumstances.

The one who really got on my tits was Scotty Bevan. Big motherfucker just up and left without so much as a by your leave. Alright, the initial raise we offered him wasn't massive, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick.

Regardless, you and I come to the same conclusion for Saturday. No matter what reception we give him (I shall applaud, because I like him personally and professionally), we could really do with him having a terrible game.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gullscorer is right - absolutely no point in abusing Zebroski who was a decent player for us thats for sure.
In Howe and Zebroski they have got two decent forwards at this level. However i would doubt that Howe is as fit as he was last season because he hasn't played so much.
Newport have massive problems in defence though so on paper a good chance for us to win again. Of course that doesn't mean its going to happen but a good chance nonetheless.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

ferrarilover wrote: The one who really got on my tits was Scotty Bevan. Big motherfucker just up and left without so much as a by your leave. Alright, the initial raise we offered him wasn't massive, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick.
To be fair, he's now reached the lofty heights of Havant & Waterlooville F.C., so he obviously had to move on to further his career.
TUST member 203
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullintwoplaces wrote: Don't be so wet. What loyalty did he show Torquay when he left us to join Paul f*** for a big wad of cash? Wind him up, I say, and get him sent off.
oi!

get your own f**king quote.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A little bit of good news Bodin played and scored yesterday against Plymouth if no reaction could be in squad tomorrow, Poke, Harding,Craig,Cruise and Thompson all were involved in the 1-1 draw. :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie:
Last edited by arcadia on 21 Mar 2014, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

arcadia wrote:A little bit of good news Bodin played and scored yesterday against Plymouth if no reaction could be in squad tomorrow, Poke, Harper, Craig,Cruise and Thompson all were involved in the 1-1 draw. :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie:
The recently departed trialist James Harper .... or did you mean Harding?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

CP Gull wrote: The recently departed trialist James Harper .... or did you mean Harding?
Top man your right ! :keepie:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I see Newport have signed Darcy Blake to shore up their makeshift defence today.

Not played in a while, but was a championship regular before injury set in. They've also signed some lad on loan from Wolves as well to go right back.

Maybe they won't be quite so makeshift anymore, perhaps more cobbled together!
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Is Pokey injured?
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

yellowmonkey wrote:Is Pokey injured?
Yes, has been suffering with a sore thigh & can't kick; on the way back to fitness if he played in the friendly.ww
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

yellowmonkey wrote:Is Pokey injured?
Yeah. He has a Thigh strain from Poking Bevan with a big pointy stick.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Jeff wrote:I see Newport have signed Darcy Blake to shore up their makeshift defence today.

Not played in a while, but was a championship regular before injury set in. They've also signed some lad on loan from Wolves as well to go right back.

Maybe they won't be quite so makeshift anymore, perhaps more cobbled together!
How the other half live, eh. Two signings within, realistically, 36 hours of a problem cropping up. Oh to have that sort of money knocking about.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"