Can the squad be strengthened enough to save us?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TT78
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: none

Post by TT78 »

Rumours around town that we (Wrexham) are signing a midfielder from you in the window. No names are mentioned. We need a midfield bruiser but Millsy only signs ball players. Any ideas ?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Come on Stef - join the light side. It's so much more fun, and much better company ;-)
I agree and desparately want the club to avoid relegation as National South could be a disaster. I say could be as it could go one of two ways. The strong possibility is that the club would go into terminal decline. There is also the possibility that the club would stay full time and bounce right back top of the table at the first attempt, and I would bet the crowds would be decent if that were the case.

At the start of the season I wasn't optimistic and on the pre-season poll on here I was one of I think 4 who put 'relegation' for our final position. I thought it would be the case, but I didn't want it to be.

I am still hopeful that miracles can be performed on the pitch. Our club have done it before from even worse positions, but games are running out. 60 points to play for is a lot, but with an average (not just this season but the whole of 2015) of well under a point a game, it will need a dramatic turnaround to save us.

New players are rumoured for the New Year and there is no doubting we need them. New players though take time to bed in, even if they have been here before, and will they be good enough to drive that dramatic turnaround in on pitch results we so desparately need? Maybe and we all hope so. The whole spine of the team needs sorting in my view to stand a chance plus additions either side. That's about 5 players. We may be able to bring in 5 players, but once here will they be good enough, as if not it will be too late.

Anyway Happy New Year to everyone and hopefully in 12 months time depression will have lifted and we will be dragging fans away from Exeter Chiefs as we sit top of the National League Premier ;-)
paul tufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by paul tufc »

TT78 wrote:Rumours around town that we (Wrexham) are signing a midfielder from you in the window. No names are mentioned. We need a midfield bruiser but Millsy only signs ball players. Any ideas ?

Hello Wrexham fan. Heslop from memory is only on a 6 month's contract which must be due to finish about now. Wasn't that impressed until the last few games. If only he could score open goals .
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Heslop was signed for a year I think. But I'd be happy for him to go.

Although we don't have any bruisers or ball-playing midfielders, so TT78 I'd be surprised if your rumour was true
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

TT78 wrote:Rumours around town that we (Wrexham) are signing a midfielder from you in the window. No names are mentioned. We need a midfield bruiser but Millsy only signs ball players. Any ideas ?
The only decent midfielder we have is actually a left back playing out of position, but he is a ball player and a wide one at that.

Of the others they're all shite, so you can take any of them. Not sure why you would want to, though. If you could take fat Louis Briscoe and his considerable wages off our hands that would be a great help to our survival hopes.
TT78
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TT78 »

Cheers. Being honest we had hardly heard about most of his signings so nothing would come as a shock. Best of luck for the rest of the season. Hope you can stay up and hope you do it without Evans.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Jeff wrote:Heslop was signed for a year I think. But I'd be happy for him to go.

Although we don't have any bruisers or ball-playing midfielders, so TT78 I'd be surprised if your rumour was true

He slops contract is definitely until Jan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34117183

My god, I hope we can release and find better
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

TT78 wrote:Cheers. Being honest we had hardly heard about most of his signings so nothing would come as a shock. Best of luck for the rest of the season. Hope you can stay up and hope you do it without Evans.
It will be Heslop. His deal is up. Can't believe that you guys would be interested in him, he's crap.
TT78
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TT78 »

Mills tends to see things in players that the rest of us overlook. He hasnt signed a dud yet so fingers crossed.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Kit_robin wrote:
He slops contract is definitely until Jan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34117183

My god, I hope we can release and find better
I stand corrected - delightedly. Although he was decent against FGR, he's generally been rubbish and a Richards/Verma central midfield has much more about it. Also, with Heslop's experience and CV (none of which he showed for us) he probably earns a fair amount as well so will be good to get rid of.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

The main problem will be signing someone who is better than he is. at our level and with the money we haven't got i doubt we can attract much at all. we need to be trawling the lower leagues to sift through the teams and see who is an undiscovered diamond.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Glostergull wrote:The main problem will be signing someone who is better than he is. at our level and with the money we haven't got i doubt we can attract much at all. we need to be trawling the lower leagues to sift through the teams and see who is an undiscovered diamond.
This is simply plucking names from the air ..... I don't want to start any unfounded rumours. But I wonder what Jak McCourt is doing these days? I liked him when he was here a couple of seasons ago - lots of enthusiasm and determination. Strong in the tackle, but sometimes flew in a little too hard ..... and late ! He will be two years older now of course and with a little more experience, might be timing his tackles better. Nico was still here when Jak was on loan so will know all about how he got on with other players etc. Leicester renewed his contract at the start of the season so they must rate him. As I say, plucking names from the air but I wouldn't mind seeing him back until the end of the season. Any thoughts?

Added in 21 minutes 27 seconds:
TT78 wrote:Mills tends to see things in players that the rest of us overlook. He hasnt signed a dud yet so fingers crossed.
And yet, TT78, you Wrexham fans were brilliant at the start of the season by raising £s for new players. Most confidently predicted that you would be in the play-offs at least, but it isn't happening, is it? So maybe Mills does have one or two duds in the team. I can't see Heslop being a regular in a promotion chasing side. A useful freebie 'bench warmer' maybe, but nothing more.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

We were in for this guy at one point, were we not?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35232907

Clutching at straws, or no smoke without fire?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Yep only a few weeks back I think.