Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Had a handful so far with a fair bit of variation of games. It'd be good if we do get a top 100 here so keep your lists coming in!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Well after much thought, consideration, sleepless nights, constant indecision and researching dates etc, I finally narrowed it down to 17 matches then 10. Still not sure if my choices are right but they are either memorable for the game, the occasion, the atmosphere, the result or even sometimes a crap game for most of it but then a few minutes that were special.

The stand out point is though, most of my games were from years ago and only one from the last 12 years, even 2 of my 7 left off were from 2005.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Not received many this week chaps, I know some are looking forward to this feature but it'd be a shame not to get more lists in!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I'm working on it
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

If you like I will make an 11-20 list (but nothing after 1972!!).
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

After much deliberation the vote of the Ivybridge jury has now been submitted. Bloody difficult! I saw my first game 53 years ago and, realising that the club history did not start when I saw my first game, also included some highly significant games from before that. It was though quite a nice excercise in nostalgia and certainly took my eyes off our present fixture list with the likes of Boreham Wood, Braintree, etc etc etc. ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote:
WIVEL's dates:
NEWPORT 19.10.63
BURY 16.3.68
SPURS 9.1.65
WORKINGTON 4.3.67
CHESTER 30.11.63
MIDDLESBROUGH 3.12.66
BRISTOL ROVERS 8.4.67 NOTE: Score was 2-1 not 2-0
ASTON VILLA 7.11.70
NOTTS COUNTY 9.5.66
Stefano - can you tell me where you get your anoraks from, please ??
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Top ten Torquay matches.

In no particular order :

TUFC v Hartlepool - Eiffion Williams hatrick
TUFC away to Chester Won 3-1 Gibbs, Gurney, Jack and Roberts were unbelievable.
TUFC v Blackpool - Promoted at Wembley - Wes Saunders was awesome
TUFC 1 WBA 0 Justin Fashanu gave Grahame Roberts an absolute runaround
TUFC save League status at Barnet
TUFC 1 Bristol City 0 Loram cross, Dave Caldwell diving header. 1000 gulls fans behind goal at Ashton Gate
Barnet 4 TUFC 0 Paul Baker's last game for us. When fourth went in and the ball was on centre spot for kick off a streaker ran on and went to kick the ball. Baker caught him a peach and he went flying !!
TUFC 1 Spurs 0 Derek Dawkins 87th minute
TUFC 4 Man Utd 2 Friendly in about 1977. Man Utd had a lot of games off due to weather and came to plainmoor for a friendly with nearly all of their stars. 4 up at half time.
TUFC v Scarboro Play off Semi 2nd leg. Jack and McCall ran the show

Hope you all enjoy some of these and bring back memories for you.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Need them in an order, please.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: Stefano - can you tell me where you get your anoraks from, please ??
Always go for Berghaus! ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Bumping this. Received less than half the number of lists as I did on the last one which is a shame - I'm almost wondering whether it's even worthwhile with such a small number in. The deadline is 10 days away, but if I don't get a decent few more in then I'll consider dropping it for now. I will check how many games I have now but it's nowhere near what I was hoping, not gonna lie.

Come on folks, think back to the good times!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Plymouth Gull wrote:Bumping this. Received less than half the number of lists as I did on the last one which is a shame - I'm almost wondering whether it's even worthwhile with such a small number in. The deadline is 10 days away, but if I don't get a decent few more in then I'll consider dropping it for now. I will check how many games I have now but it's nowhere near what I was hoping, not gonna lie.

Come on folks, think back to the good times!
I'm working on this PG. You know how we ALL leave things to the last minute (oh yes we do !!) and we've still got ten whole days so give us chance !!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I've just been jolted into action and I've 'pm'ed my list but here it is to stir you up:

Hi PlymouthGull,

Here are my 10. I've excluded Argyle and Exeter derby matches but could have picked some if I'd tried harder although the following stick out more in my memory:

1 Crewe home 2-2 Bryn the dog, Lincoln going out instead of us or Burnley. Best for the raw emotion that I and 100's of other experienced that hot afternoon. This was the first of our dices with the drop and because of that it was the most gut wrenching, heart rending and, in the end, absolutely joyous of matches for me. I ran onto the pitch at the end and hugged anybody who would allow me. My face was wet with tears and my body wet with sweat so I wasn't a very pleasant sight.

2 Cambridge 2 - 0 Wembley Back to the league and our only outright win at either of the Wembleys. Again, raw emotion all through. I was looking across in line with that ball from Wayne Carlisle to Tim Sills and I can remember it now as if it was yesterday. Then that wonderful feeling taking over from the apprehension as the end approached: 'surely, they can't score two in the remaining minutes' 'surely, they can't score one in the remaining minute'

3 Southend away 2 -1 Promotion as Huddersfield stumble. Packed away end, usual mix of differing emotions as the high drama played itself out at Cheltenham and Southend culminating in that wonderful explosion of joy.

4 Barnet away 3-2 Them or us, high drama indeed topped by the fact that it was my birthday that day and I met my two daughters in London on the way to the match then we caught the tube out to the ground to find that the queues were lengthening even at lunchtime. We waited for ages but got in and sat in that strange temporary stand behind the goal. At half time my elder daughter pulled out a cake and plates and we had a birthday party. Second half to forget and then joy takes over as even a draw was enough for us and time ran out for Barnet. Again a throng at the end on the pitch and a happy homeward journey.

5 Carlisle away 2-1 They were uncrowned champions, we were dangling over the abyss (again) and we took them apart in the first half to go 2 - 0 up. Same old sweaty end though as we hung on in the second half. If I remember, Oxford lost as well that day and we were as good as safe. What a journey home!

6Blackpool Wembley 2 - 2, win on pens First win at Wembley but did it the hard way going behind and then letting them back into the match, Bamber's Right Foot!

7 Aston Villa away 1 - 0 (7/11/1970) Biggest league crowd I've ever stood in to watch Torquay (28,112). AV in doldrums in old third div but still with some big names in their side. Micky Cave scores with 10 minutes to go. I go mad and then realise that the Holt end is emptying. No, they weren't going home, they were coming our way (no segregation then), so scarf off and keep emotions to myself for last 10 mins.

8Tottenham home FA Cup 3 -3 . I was at the front of the pop side bang on the half way line having queued since mid morning. No need for any other comment as others will no doubt include this one.

9 LIncoln home FA Cup 4 - 3 (2/1/1971). Same season as my number 7, we'd beaten Aston Villa at home 3 - 1 in the first round, won away in the second round and were home to a fourth division team so it looked easy on paper. Half way through the first half we were 3 - 0 down so this was a come back of epic proportions. Lincoln had Graham Taylor in their side and the crowd was 8,147! Our first round crowd was 9,227 so we had fans in those days!

10 Northampton home FA cup 7 - 1 (14/11/59) Ernie Pym and Graham Bond both get hat tricks and Tommy Northcott chips in as well. I still have my primary school exercise book from the time (I was 10 years old) and I wrote up the match as follows: Torquay United beat Northampton by seven goals to one. Goals were scored by Bond who had a hat trick with Pym and Northcott got the odd goal. Northampton got a consolation goal scored by Leck when Torquay were winning 6 - 0. At half time the score was 1 - 0. This puts Torquay into the second round of the FA Cup. They are to play Gillingham away in the second round (we drew that match 2 - 2 but lost the replay at home 1- 2).

At my age, I could have added a lot more but I'll keep it to the ten you have requested!
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Sent mine through, quite heavy on more modern matches due to my age. I only wish I could remember the days when 10-20k would pack Plainmoor for big matches.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Good old Senor Ding Dong. It strikes me that it would be a good idea to have a similar competition for contributor's names. You know the sort...Heaven and Hele, Bert...that kind of thing.