Gus potentially off then!...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Barnsley Bill
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Barnsley Bill »

Hi there.

Barnsley fan here.

Firstly, I hope if we do sign him that Torquay do well out of it. Nothing annoys me more than when we lose our decent players for much less than they're worth, so I don't want us doing it to others.

Secondly, what sort of player is he? I read further up the board he had/has something of a temper?

Bill.
Last edited by Barnsley Bill on 30 Jul 2016, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Surely we'd need a time clause for that to have any benefit? If he leaves for nothing 6 days before the season starts then we'd have been better off letting him leave 2 months ago. We'd basically have been paying him for a month just to give us less time to sign a replacement, all for absolutely no advantage.

Give us another 12 months and you can leave would be a different matter, but I assumed he only had a one year deal anyway?

Ps I live in Edinburgh.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

arcadia wrote:Todays paper states he had a get out clause should a club from a higher division come in for him we could
get nothing if this was agreed.
We know now it's Barnsley, it will be a let down if we get nothing out of the deal!
No sane club would agree a "get out" clause that meant a player could "get out" of a contract early with no compensation to the club if somebody comes in for the player. But then this is Torquay United, ripped off time and time again by lack of common sense.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I have been told it is close to 100k. No doubt that Nicho won't see a bean from it but hopefully it might pay off the GI loan and cover the costs of the almighty shave up which was yellow fest!

Good luck to Gus. A move which benefits all considering the situation we are in. Barnsley are a good club and a good fit for him at this point in his career. Hopefully his wages (will no doubt be on a decent wage amongst the players we have in the squad) will be available for a decent replacement.

Not ideal a week before season start but was going to miss the first game anyway so in reality we have two weeks to sort and bed in a replacement.

Thanks Gus and all the best. A big part as to why were not relegated and the income may make more difference behind the scenes than we will ever really know.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Richinns wrote:I have been told it is close to 100k. No doubt that Nicho won't see a bean from it but hopefully it might pay off the GI loan and cover the costs of the almighty shave up which was yellow fest!

Good luck to Gus. A move which benefits all considering the situation we are in. Barnsley are a good club and a good fit for him at this point in his career. Hopefully his wages (will no doubt be on a decent wage amongst the players we have in the squad) will be available for a decent replacement.

Not ideal a week before season start but was going to miss the first game anyway so in reality we have two weeks to sort and bed in a replacement.

Thanks Gus and all the best. A big part as to why were not relegated and the income may make more difference behind the scenes than we will ever really know.
If that is the case then everybody wins. I hope you are right!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Barnsley Bill wrote:Hi there.

Barnsley fan here.

Firstly, I hope if we do sign him that Torquay do well out of it. Nothing annoys me more than when we lose our decent players for much less than they're worth, so I don't want us doing it to others.

Secondly, what sort of player is he? I read further up the board he had/has something of a temper?

Bill.
Gus is a strong 23 year old good marker, good in the air he knows all the tricks of the trade where centre forwards back in etc. he's ready for all that.
His distribution is excellent he can play it short or hit 50 yard balls and the ball goes to a player. He is fierce in the tackle and lets the striker know he's in a game, he proved last season that he can control himself and in my view was one of the reasons we escaped relegation. He's got a good personality off the field and our previous manager thought that he'd end up as captain which he has.Nicho has got the very best out of him. Best of luck to him
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There was a time when the Gulls regularly played Barnsley in what was the old Third Division (now League One) in front of crowds of 4000 - 6000... :-/
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Gullscorer wrote:There was a time when the Gulls regularly played Barnsley in what was the old Third Division (now League One) in front of crowds of 4000 - 6000... :-/
Back then we had 2000 for football combination games and in a Somerset Cup game at Yeovil we had near on 4000 times have changed. Western League crowds were high back then as well.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: Gus is a strong 23 year old good marker, good in the air he knows all the tricks of the trade where centre forwards back in etc. he's ready for all that.
His distribution is excellent he can play it short or hit 50 yard balls and the ball goes to a player. He is fierce in the tackle and lets the striker know he's in a game, he proved last season that he can control himself and in my view was one of the reasons we escaped relegation. He's got a good personality off the field and our previous manager thought that he'd end up as captain which he has.Nicho has got the very best out of him. Best of luck to him
Pretty good summary although I would add he can pop up with some useful goals and is a good footballer too.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Seriuosly disappointed that we are losing him even before the season starts. I think we will ship goals without him to anchor the defence and think we will struggle to survive in this league unless a suitable replacement can be found which I doubt at this stage. The best we can hope for, I guess, is a long term loan from a senior club of another young player with potential.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I do worry about our defence without Gus. It has been quite clear from the friendlies that we look completely lost without him, a big gap has been made.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Did what most Premier League fans do when a player is rumoured to be part of a transfer... and check if they are following anyone new on Twitter! Funnily enough Gus has just started following Barnsley's main centre back Alfie Mawson.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I do worry about our defence without Gus. It has been quite clear from the friendlies that we look completely lost without him, a big gap has been made.
Kevin Nicholson has proved himself to be quite adept at signing players to form a decent squad on next to no budget, and at bringing in replacements when required, so I think we can trust him to continue in a similar manner. And players will come, knowing they will have the chance to improve and prove themselves and progress their careers as Gus is doing.
Barnsley Bill
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Barnsley Bill »

Southampton Gull wrote: Pretty good summary although I would add he can pop up with some useful goals and is a good footballer too.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated!
Barnsley Bill
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Barnsley Bill »

OllieGull wrote:Did what most Premier League fans do when a player is rumoured to be part of a transfer... and check if they are following anyone new on Twitter! Funnily enough Gus has just started following Barnsley's main centre back Alfie Mawson.
By all accounts, Mawson wants out.

His head's been turned by one or both of Newcastle and Bristol City. He'll not be with us by the end of the transfer window, I don't think.

Not that you care about that, but it's the case, anyway.