Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote::lol:

He reminds me of Gonzo from the muppet show.
thats harsh.

on gonzo.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

:nod:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

I feel very sorry for Leadbitter. In several games during our freefall period he was the only one showing much endeavour, skill, determination and creativity. At the time I said that we needed to nurture this guy who could be worth half a million in a few years. We have not done that, following the usual Torquay line --- regular team member gets injured or suspended, the youngster comes in and is expected to do at least as well at the usual player for a month, then he is discarded again.
In previous seasons players like Ellis and Robertson were not really developed and at times both were treated shabbily by United, yet have easily stepped up a division. Torquay need to pay attention to developing these youngsters, and not view them only as a "spare". I hope that United dont regret letting him go, but to Daniel Leadbitter, Thanks and best of luck, mate.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Agreed chester. I was very impressed by Leadbitter in the games I've seen. His crossing is pretty rubbish but he was not even remotely afraid of taking on a man and added a bit of excitement to attacks. Defensively he seemed to know when to stick his foot in for a tackle too. In the couple games I saw he showed several glimpses of Bobby Moore style tackling.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

You can only assume that Knill has got a name or two in mind for the right back position, so I'd expect to hear something soon.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

His main attribute was his ability to get up and down the pitch. He seemed to have terrific fitness levels and seemed very good. Having given Cruise another year I would say potentially tha Leadbitter was the better prospect.
Having released Oastler Knill must presumably have someone lined up in that position.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

I would say i saw Leadbitter in almost every appearance for us, and although he can certainly run, he certainly is nowhere near upto it. Positionally worse than Oastler (thats saying something!) and abysmal decision making and technically iffy.

I think he needs a whole season in a conference side to get to grips with things, however with age on his side he could given a few years make a league 2 level player. But its here and now and i dont think Knill is prepared to take risks at the back with players who are a liability right now. Right backs need to be defensively sound first of all, and he had no end product so there is no real telling factor for keeping him.

Cruise deserves his years renewal offer because in the few appearances when fighting against relegation he showed quality on the ball with good passing ability and got an excellent crossed assist against chesterfield for labadie's header, in a move which he started.

Lets hope Knill can bring in a talented but defensively solid right back on a youth loan from a premier club if this is true that hes watching man u v liv.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Agree with all said about Leadbitter. He can spark attacks and boy can he run but his positional awareness was shocking so it has to be goodbye to a defender who can't defend. IMO.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

If Joe Oastler was getting picked on a regular basis ahead of Leadbitter, you can be sure that the latter is not destined for greatness. Managers tend to have an abilioty to assess potential too, so there clearly wasn't enough there to work with.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Fonda wrote:If Joe Oastler was getting picked on a regular basis ahead of Leadbitter, you can be sure that the latter is not destined for greatness. Managers tend to have an abilioty to assess potential too, so there clearly wasn't enough there to work with.
not in the case of ling / taylor!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Those released were all spot on decisions, especially release of the wicked titch of the West. :clap:

What's left, with a couple of exceptions will be next season's squad fillers. What we lacked last season was any real competition for first XI starts. Who Tintin brings in on the flanks (both defensively and offensively) together with an enforcer/playmaker to the midfield and "a broken nose thug type" up front will determine how high up the table we'll finish.

It won't surprise me in the slightest if/when some on existing contracts are made available for transfer/loan. When that could occur is anyone's guess. Regular starters under Ling who become underlings under Tintin may make the first moves.

Tintin seems prepared to use the loan market. He of little ethos was not a fan of loans.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

:clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

With both Oastler and Leadbitter gone, do you think Knill will bring in another full back in the Oastler mould or one like Leadbitter who can get forward? I don't know what his full backs were like at his other clubs so i don't know which type he prefers and would be looking to bring in. Any ideas anyone?
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Depends on the team shape I guess...

In a 4-3-3 I'd say you need a more solid defensive option (like Oastler) as they are likely to be exposed one-on-one against a winger without a team-mate wide midfielder helping them.

In a 4-4-2 they could be encouraged to overlap down the channels more and a Leadbitter-styled winger would suit that more.

In a squad I'd say it's best to have both so you can change system... #simples
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What we saw from Tintin was a team of Martin Ling's making put to use to secure League status. No one knows yet how Tintin is going to set HIS team up with HIS tactics.

With no rightbacks and the Jewry, oops, jury out on the leftback position, how about a return to that golden era under Cyril of 5-3-2 defending, 3-5-2 holding, 2-3-5 attacking ?

Maybe Tintin will sign wingbacks of the calibre of Gurney/Gibbs.

What is for sure is we won't be seeing fullbacks of the calibre of the "Muffin Man"(John Bond) and Bill Kitchener.

:bow:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
mus1908
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by mus1908 »

Just a quick observation, but could Trojan get the word Tintin into his sentances any more times?