Player to bring in (suggestions)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

gullno4 wrote:If worst comes to worst and we weren't to bring in anybody else, we could line up like this:

Poke
Tonge Downes Mackenzie Cruise
Cameron Lathrope Mansell Chappell
Benyon Bodin

how do we think that team would do?
Plenty of pace in there, would be happy to see it... when the other centre half, midfielder and striker are injured/suspended.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Richinns wrote: Super - which position is Hutchings best? Right Back or Centre Back? Is he ready to go straight in then or does he need a little more time to develop physically?
I watched nearly all of the youth team games last year and he was nearly always at center back, but a couple of games he played right back and looked very comfortable and liked to overlap. He is very calm and comfortable with the ball at his feet which is unlike most center halfs. From what I understand at the end of last season Alan knill was watching him quite alot and was impressed with what he could do going forward.

I thought for a young lad he handled himself well in the reserve matches that I watched and also in last years pre season friendlies but he did need to fill out a bit. I haven't seen any games since April so it will be good to see if he has filled out in those months. The friendlies will show us where he is and whether he needs more time. In ability the lad is there but what I hope doesn't happen is we throw him in early and he gets roughed up a bit and the crowd get on him and his confidence goes. Only the management team will know for sure when he is ready as they watch him everyday. If he has built up his upper body I think he could do a job in bits and pieces this year.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:During his loan spell at Accrington, Stockley scored against us with a fine lob in a game we lost 3-1 up there (Rene was sent off and Chris McPhee got a late consolation). It was during Lingy's first season at TUFC. MIght jog some memories for anyone who was there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16124065
Remember it well (usual sh*t day at Accrington). Was a blinding goal by Stockley and a fine performance too. Must have lost his way a little to slide down to Woking though
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

supergulls wrote: I watched nearly all of the youth team games last year and he was nearly always at center back, but a couple of games he played right back and looked very comfortable and liked to overlap. He is very calm and comfortable with the ball at his feet which is unlike most center halfs. From what I understand at the end of last season Alan knill was watching him quite alot and was impressed with what he could do going forward.

I thought for a young lad he handled himself well in the reserve matches that I watched and also in last years pre season friendlies but he did need to fill out a bit. I haven't seen any games since April so it will be good to see if he has filled out in those months. The friendlies will show us where he is and whether he needs more time. In ability the lad is there but what I hope doesn't happen is we throw him in early and he gets roughed up a bit and the crowd get on him and his confidence goes. Only the management team will know for sure when he is ready as they watch him everyday. If he has built up his upper body I think he could do a job in bits and pieces this year.
Thanks super - sounds a real prospect but have to be wary not to throw him in before he is ready for it.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
secret
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: howe

Post by secret »

Manset going Coventry
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Tell us something we haven't known for a week.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Probably grossly over-simplifying football transfer payments and negotiations, and the ins-and-outs of administration, but this article gave me a thought:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23225697

about half way down you will see it mentions that Craig Reid and Craig Stanley are Aldershot's only two contracted players, yet things are still up in the air and they need £50k to survive.

We, on the other hand, need a Central Midfielder and a forward. Plus we've just collected £50k for that young lad to Villa. So hows this for an idea - we offer Aldershot £50k (or there or thereabouts) for Reid and Stanley? We get ourselves proven L2 players, Aldershot as a club get their £50k to survive, plus the players get themselves contracts safe in the knowledge they will actually get paid their salaries.

OK I'm sure its not that simple, or else everyone would be jumping on the bandwagon. And I'm certain we haven't just got £50k cash lying around. I guess the point I'm making is I wouldn't be too upset with players of the calibre of Stanley and Reid playing in yellow (and I also wouldn't want to see the Shots die)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Not sure there's value in spending £50k on two non-league players, when there are still plenty of equal ability kicking their heels and waiting for an offer.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

secret wrote:Manset going Coventry
Is that Coventry, Northamptonshire?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

cambgull wrote: Is that Coventry, Northamptonshire?
Maybe he meant that nobody is talking to him.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

It is, and what a weird decision that is from all concerned. I know this is a mite off topic, but does anyone know why Coventry don't want to play at the Ricoh for free, choosing instead to pay to play at Northampton?

Matt.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

ferrarilover wrote:It is, and what a weird decision that is from all concerned. I know this is a mite off topic, but does anyone know why Coventry don't want to play at the Ricoh for free, choosing instead to pay to play at Northampton?

Matt.
From what I've heard the offer to play for free at the Ricoh was only whilst they were in administration.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

That's correct. Free whilst in administration, but too much when not free for a club averaging 11k home attendance last season. A sorry state of affairs initially set in motion by directors many years ago selling the old ground that was only fit for demolition to, wait for it, themselves...and hey presto a housing development opportunity appeared.
Terrible deals subsequently done on the ground and all spiralling down from that.
Still on transfer embargo too so don't think Manset or anyone will be joining yet.....
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Rethink that thought, Stratford.

Thanks for the info, all.

Matt.