Bristol Rovers

General chat about anything else goes here.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/t ... ong-today/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least they have a sense of humour.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

You need to have a sense of humour to follow our team but to be fair you can hardly laugh about us losing 4-1 at their ground when you lost 3-1 at your place. To be honest I am not at all surprised you are doing so well and have said all along that you would have a good season. The League is not won in september though and its gonna have its ups and downs. it is true to say that there are quite a few of our players who have not played to expectations yet but i am sure will come good and consistently so.Then we will see where it takes us. I still think Zebroski will score at least 15 goals and McGleish will come good.
I was very surprised just how poor Crawleys vocal support is considering their record.we took about 950 there and you would really have thought we were the home side but they have a nice little set up there and good luck to them.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Yes i know we lost 3-1 or whatever, but i would still regard you as one of the biggest sides the league and still believe you should be beating Crawley. I know Crawley are faves but still would think youd put a better effort in than that.

I have nothing against Rovers but while Buckle is your manager i will smile everytime you loose or do worse than expected. We both lost to crawley but they lost to cheltenham and hereford which is odd but heyho thats football.

Noone here really expects us to do amazingly well, i got a feeling and hope we will get to the playoffs ect. But the pressure is on you and if we dont do that well then ohwell Ling rebuilds and we go again. I do feel we will be a lot better next season when Lings had a full season and the new stand is done ect.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Quite interesting how this legacy of Buckle is going to run and run. Also how nobody has anything against Bristol Rovers but wish misfortune on Paul Buckle.

The latter surely has to be down to the way in which he left and insulted peoples intelligence by saying he didn't know if he was going to Rovers at the end of the season and peoples concerns about, a) players attitude during the play off final and b) the difficulty Buckle (or anybody come to that) would have had signing our players had we have been promoted. Consequently raising supporters concerns if any of the potential "Rovers players" wanted to win the PO final. I feel that due to our moderate early season success most of the TQY faithfull have moved on from the above.

That brings us on to the legacy of Buckle at TQY.

We all know he got us to Wembley, promoted, good cup runs, ect. So why was he not popular? Plenty defended him during his tenure here and plenty wouldn't have batted an eye lid had he been sacked during one of our "lean" periods. He would have probably been the first to admit his man mangement skills were'nt the best. Did his poor communication skills extend beyond the pitch? Thus resulting in his poor contacts within the game, I don't know. But without doubt he was never going to win over the entire support and I believe the same thing will happen at Rovers, or wherever he goes come to that. I think that his "carte blanche" with the check book, both here and at Rovers has probably elevated him to a false level in terms of "management ability".Is Martin Ling a better manager? We shall see. However this is all incidental now, thinking through this "Buckle legacy" conundrum, I think that things are usually more simple than they appear. Buckles problem (IMO) is his appealability (is that a word?) People just don't warm to him personallity wise. If thats down to his demeanor, his actions or both only he knows, but if people in general don't like him then temperamental football players are never going to warm to him.

OK thought about this too much now! All I can say is it was time for him to move on and I'm glad he did.
lovinthatsurf
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: mansell

Post by lovinthatsurf »

I feel we were on our knees a little and Buckle just kicked us when we were down, as you rightly said we all have to move on. We are a side that is re building after a devastating end to an otherwise fair season.
I hope Ling comes good for us, im quite happy with how we are shaping up, i do think hes more likeable than Bucks..i hope this helps the players old and new play for him ( and us ! )
As for Rovers... i do kinda wish them well ( but not at plainmoor!! )...wot will be will be.
in vino veritas
fallaces sunt rerum species
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

friendlygas wrote:You need to have a sense of humour to follow our team but to be fair you can hardly laugh about us losing 4-1 at their ground when you lost 3-1 at your place. To be honest I am not at all surprised you are doing so well and have said all along that you would have a good season. The League is not won in september though and its gonna have its ups and downs. it is true to say that there are quite a few of our players who have not played to expectations yet but i am sure will come good and consistently so.Then we will see where it takes us. I still think Zebroski will score at least 15 goals and McGleish will come good.
I was very surprised just how poor Crawleys vocal support is considering their record.we took about 950 there and you would really have thought we were the home side but they have a nice little set up there and good luck to them.
Except we can, because the majority (obviously, your good self excluded) of your fans gave it Billy Big Balls pre-season and now you've been beaten (nay, roundly thrashed) by a team with 300 fans and a ground made of scaffolding, hardly the form of a team which will win, comfortably, this shitty little division full of no-hopers.
The trick to playing in the lower leagues is humility. That way, if you do well, you win with style and grace and people are happy for you. If you get stuffed, you can point to your lack of grandeur and suggest that you were right all along, its win-win.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I must admit to being a little bit pleased to read some of the Brizzle fan's views on Buckle. :devil:

Doesn't know his best team/formation. check
Strange substitutions. check
Blaming the pitch. check
Leaving out players for apparently no reason. check
Playing strikers as wingers. check
Playing his favourites and not subbing them no matter how poor they are. check

Who's going to put money on him shagging someone's missus before the season is out? :lol:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Intresting that Dave.

I will always thank Paul for getting us where we are today. Yes he did a great job to get us from a squad of 4 in the dark in the BSP to league 2 playoff final. Everyone would agree with that in thanking him for that.

But they way he left has just soured the whole thing. To me the subs towards the end of the final made me feel he was gone. Brought Nicho and Jakey off for LRT and Stevens. Jakey was our most danderous player on the pitch and Nichos crossing was getting chances. They were our two best players off the pitch and he took them off.

We all know the deal was done before the final and just lied through his teeth, and i still feel even if we won he would still have left us.
But ok i can accept he leaves it happends. But then desides to kick us while were down by nicking our players.

I dunno i feel he could have handled the situation a lot better, but since the wayy we he treated us after the 4 years he was with us. I just hope his big ego stuffs up at rovers then gets the hayes and yeading job in febuary.

Im happy with Ling and i like the new look torquay. Just wont ever forgive Buckle

And hes up to his old tricks again. You cant teach a dog new tricks. So better off just getting a new dog :whistle: