Torquay United v AFC Wimbledon - 3/8/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

bengull wrote: Love the new kit, can't wait to see it in all its glory on Saturday. Looks fresh in contrast to the previous monstrosity.

whilst i agree about the last kit and feel the same about many others before it. with regards to your comment about the new kit - ARE YOU BLOODY WELL KIDDING ME OR WHAT. :@ ITS SH1T.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I kid ye not, I may be partially biased due to twee memories of a similar colour scheme 1999=2001 when my love affair with TUFC was set in stone but it makes a nice difference from the slew of mostly yellow kits we have had since (of which I have only truly liked 2)

I totally take the points about less yellow altering our identity somewhat, but yellow and white stripes is still unique to the entire league. Besides if they made a new kit out of bin bags I would still buy it, its £40 straight to the club and it isn't exactly a fashion statement/faux-pas. I only wear kits on matchdays, in the company of 100's of likeminded fans, its not like I wear them to weddings or business meetings!

Its just a shirt mate, its not like you can avoid it for the next two seasons unless you have a predilection for picturing the players nude, so you may as well embrace it.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I agree to some extent. It's got no collar, no breast pocket, and it's a size too small. And the sleeves, and the shorts, are too short. And the colours should be simple blue and a golden shade of yellow.

Otherwise, the new kit is great, and indeed a refreshing change from previous kit. :-D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

bengull wrote:I kid ye not, I may be partially biased due to twee memories of a similar colour scheme 1999=2001 when my love affair with TUFC was set in stone but it makes a nice difference from the slew of mostly yellow kits we have had since (of which I have only truly liked 2)

I totally take the points about less yellow altering our identity somewhat, but yellow and white stripes is still unique to the entire league. Besides if they made a new kit out of bin bags I would still buy it, its £40 straight to the club and it isn't exactly a fashion statement/faux-pas. I only wear kits on matchdays, in the company of 100's of likeminded fans, its not like I wear them to weddings or business meetings!

Its just a shirt mate, its not like you can avoid it for the next two seasons unless you have a predilection for picturing the players nude, so you may as well embrace it.

:goodpost: =D
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

bengull wrote:I kid ye not, I may be partially biased due to twee memories of a similar colour scheme 1999=2001 when my love affair with TUFC was set in stone but it makes a nice difference from the slew of mostly yellow kits we have had since (of which I have only truly liked 2)

Count my missus in. she would go for Nude. As I suspect one or two of our female members of this board would also!! :lol: :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

chunkygull wrote:
whilst i agree about the last kit and feel the same about many others before it. with regards to your comment about the new kit - ARE YOU BLOODY WELL KIDDING ME OR WHAT. :@ ITS SH1T.
I quite like it too. Would have liked more yellow/blue detail on the shorts and socks, but don't find the white as hideous as some.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Knill knows his starting XI. Judging from the comments I'd expect;

Poke

Tonge, Pearce, Downes, Nicho?

Cameron, Mansell, Harding, Chapell

Ball, Benyon

Subs:

Rice
Cruise
MacKenzie
Craig
Lathrope
Bodin
Hawley
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Nick wrote:Knill knows his starting XI. Judging from the comments I'd expect;

Poke

Tonge, Pearce, Downes, Nicho?

Cameron, Mansell, Harding, Chapell

Ball, Benyon

Subs:

Rice
Cruise
MacKenzie
Craig
Lathrope
Bodin
Hawley
I would expect Bodin to start in place of Cameron and perhaps Thompson to make the bench in place of Craig or Lathrope but otherwise I agree.

EDIT - Rice will start in place of Poke.
Last edited by Richinns on 02 Aug 2013, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Rivo_7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rivo_7 »

Unfortunately cant make Saturday due to having a game myself but couldnt be more excited to finally be able to finish my game and catch all the scores coming in....im predicting a 3-1 win (would say 3-0 but Midson always scores against us).

One point I want to raise tho is what on earth does Martin Rice have to do in order for people to see him as worthy of starting a game? He filled in towards the end of last season and played well and has played all of pre-season without conceding a goal. In the past season or 2 whenever he has been called upon he has performed well. If that were a striker filling in for an injured counterpart who had scored in every game people would not be calling for him to be dropped so why the same with Ricey?

People are acting as if its a disaster if he plays, give the guy some credit!!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Poke is fit again, so I'd expect him to start Saturday. Fancy Rice to play at Swindon though to allow Pokey to further continue his return to speed.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I agree with Rivo. Rice has done all that has been asked of him and has done nothing to justify his being dropped. Poke has not played nor trained pre-season and needs to ease himself back into the side to avoid any recurrence of his injury. For him to rush back into a league game without such preparation could be disastrous. Rice is twice the player he used to be and we should now have every confidence in his goalkeeping abilities on Saturday.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Rice has peformed well. In pre-season friendlies, against (Yeovil apart) pretty average quality opposition. How have we gone from 'not reading too much into pre-season games' to heralding performances of individuals in those games? Poke is our best keeper. If he's fit, he should play. Rice has never been considered good enough for regular league football previously, so what has changed?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Fonda wrote:Rice has peformed well. In pre-season friendlies, against (Yeovil apart) pretty average quality opposition. How have we gone from 'not reading too much into pre-season games' to heralding performances of individuals in those games? Poke is our best keeper. If he's fit, he should play. Rice has never been considered good enough for regular league football previously, so what has changed?
But that's the question isn't it? There are still doubts as to whether Poke is match fit. He may have recovered from his injury, but he hasn't played or trained all pre-season. If he is thrown suddenly into a competitive game without preparation his injury could recur and he'd be back to square one.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

jonnyfive wrote: Bingo. Agree with every word.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Gullscorer wrote:But that's the question isn't it? There are still doubts as to whether Poke is match fit. He may have recovered from his injury, but he hasn't played or trained all pre-season. If he is thrown suddenly into a competitive game without preparation his injury could recur and he'd be back to square one.
I think we can safely assume he'll only play if considered fit.